RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

stuck

Aug 31, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1694 views)
Shortcut

critique my photos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would appreciate advice and constructive critisism about some photos I just uploaded. Thanks.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...L&Photographer=stuck

bldr

Aug 31, 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Re: critique my photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not bad, it seems you have a good eye I do like the angle of the first shot. I would recommend working on your technical aspects a tad, especially if you printed the photos yourself. In both shots the contrast seems to be really low, an increase in contrast could really help the overall look of the photos. By increasing the contrast your photos will look a lot less gray. If you are not printing the photos yourself spen a minute or two with them in photoshop, the gimp or cinepaint or a similar image editing program and do a simple levels adjustment you might be surprised how much of a difference it makes.

Keep shooting it looks like you are on the right track. Not that I am an expert or anyhting, just trying to offer some help.

The link below shows some of my photography attempts.
http://webpages.csus.edu/%7Esac36457/web/index.htm

-jordan

tenn_dawg

Aug 31, 2003, 11:21 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved to Climbing Photography...

Travis

dead_milkman

Sep 3, 2003, 4:44 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in agreement with Jordan... these need more contrast. If you're printing yourself and using filters try moving up at least one grade. If you're not using filters, like on a dichro head adjust up one grade accordingly. Also, (second photo especially) you need to work to get some true blacks in your prints. Upping the contrast will help this - to a point - but you will also probably need to increase exposure time during printing - something you'll have to do anyhow if using filters, as I think that your negatives might be a touch underexposed. Same deal applies to photoshopping. The first photo would look - in my opinion - great if it were toned either with sepia (for a warm effect - probably highlighting the forest) or selenium (for a slightly colder look - highlighting the, uh, light, I imagine).

Hope that helps,

Brad

petsfed

Sep 3, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks muddy, and the light pattern in the second photo is not appealing. It looks like you got an inconvenient light leak. Description says otherwise, but still. Be a painter of light, not just a documentor thereof.

pico23

Sep 3, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not really sure about the light. it's washed out looking. it would have been ineteresting if you'd have captured it right (not intended as an insult), but capturing light as you see it is the hardest thing to do. Making sure your f stop range between highlight and shadow stays within the roughly 5 stop range of film is key. Better to underexpose than to overexpose. Washed out photos go in the trash/memories pile, the underexposed can sometimes be salvaged. I can't really tell if the shot is under or over exposed. Overall it looks properly exposed for the middle toned areas. I think the highlights were just too much.

Personally I've lost a lot of pretty good shots because I was too lazy to mount the graduated ND filter. I just lost what was an interesting shot of the Oswegatchie River. The photos technically nice, other then the exposure washing out the highlights, but the grey sky is featureless do to the f-stop difference. A graduated filter would have made a very nice shot of it.

dsafanda

Sep 3, 2003, 8:44 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's hard for me to seperate technique from subject matter. I don't know why this was moved to "climbing photography". There is no climbing in either photo. To me these have about as much to do with rockclimbing as photos of someone walking their dog or bowling.

Obviously slacklining is important to you though. What are examples of slacklining photos that you think are excellent? look carefuly. What's the difference between those and yours? You can learn a lot by studying other peoples photos. Take those elements you like and make them part of your own body of work.

I agree with most that the contrast needs to be increased. I think you did a great job of trying to capture interesting perspectives. It looks like you have a good eye for composition.

stuck

Sep 3, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll try to apply some of it next time I take a picture.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook