Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hooker

Sep 8, 2003, 2:03 AM
Post #26 of 37 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Re: how did you learn to climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I discovered the climbing wall at Cornell while I was a student. After gymnastics, it seemed a logical progression.

Then I discovered the Gunks.

Then I met drkodos.

ptone

Sep 8, 2003, 3:40 AM
Post #27 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hooked back up with some old friends after a few years of travelling. We all did something different (I skiied, another mountainbiked, another parachuted etc) so we started trying each others favorite things over the course of that summer.
None of us climbed, so we decided to try it together, and all went to the gym one winter day.
They all went home, I was home.
That was the primer.

When the spring came and I got to go outside to the crag...
Well, you could see yourself in the gloss of that final coat!

Still see them once in a while, from the car on the way to the rock... :wink:

peace,
p

tradmanclimbs

Sep 8, 2003, 4:04 AM
Post #28 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up on a farm in VT and pretended to be a mountain climber on the mossy shist slabs above the horse pasture when I was a kid. Did my first real climb. The East face of Teewionot in 1981 with another friend and we both didn't know shist :roll: A year later back in VT a friend from work taught me how to ice climb (my first real roped climbing experience) and it has been all uphill from there 8)

ouflyboy9

Sep 8, 2003, 6:06 PM
Post #29 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started when I was a kid climbing to the top of a big tree in my front yard....then mom would come out and whig out until my brother and I got a little closer to the ground...then in high school I met this guy and and asked if I would like to try climbing...that was 6 years ago and haven't stopped yet

inflight

Sep 8, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #30 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hiked to the top of Mt.Whitney on a backpacking trip. As I sat over some edge on the summit looking at the view, I thought it would be fun to climb up the face. Took an anchor class from Adventure 16, bought a partial rack and rope a week later. I prefer other places than alpine for climbing though. PEace!

slabmaster

Sep 8, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #31 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been an armchair adventurer for many years and decided to get outa the chair and try it. So down to a local gym for a couple of weeks. Liked it and went to REI, bought a rope, some webbing, and an old 'rack' from a friend (4 hexes, 6 nuts, a figure 8, and ... i ferget). Went to the local crag with a friend and a copy of Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills (bought used from a book store), set up a top rope, climbed a 5.6, and lived... :lol: That was ~5 years ago.

t-jak
Deleted

Sep 8, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #32 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first climbing experience was in a nearby gym called "the Iron Works". My friend, Steve, had been trying to get me to climb with him for years, but I thought it looked dull (I mountain bike, skate, and snowboard, to give you an idea why). Ten minutes in, I knew I was hooked. Now, I have to wipe the dust off my bikes and boards before I use them. I gym climb 4 or 5 days a week, and get 3 or 4 one day outdoor sessions per month, with about 4 multi-day outings annually. Steve's created a monster...

t-jak

vertical_planar

Sep 8, 2003, 6:54 PM
Post #33 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By accident...
I wanted to get into mountaineering and registered on the university's climbing school back in 1998.
Deep into it since then...

holmeslovesguinness

Sep 8, 2003, 6:59 PM
Post #34 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got interested in climbing around 92' after seeing some folks climbing at Enchanted Rock, TX. A few weeks later my new next door neighbor was riding his bike by my house and saw me smoking a doobie through the window. He immediately stopped and introduced himself :wink: Turns out he was a pretty experienced climber, and after hearing that I wanted to try it out he took me back to E-Rock - I was totally hooked after that. I stuck mostly with sport climbing for about two years, then got into trad.

trenchdigger

Sep 8, 2003, 7:01 PM
Post #35 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A 3-day trip to JTree was my first real climbing experience. Met a new friend in one of my classes at UCSD and a week later, got an invite to go climbing. She took me to the gym at school for about half an hour to teach me to use an ATC, I climbed the wall there, twice, then stopped me so I wouldn't be sore for the next few days' clmbing. A slabby 5.7 at Belle Campground was my first ever outdoor climb. Was hooked from that point on.

~Adam~

freudian

Sep 8, 2003, 7:51 PM
Post #36 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was playing at the top of a sea-cliff on Grand Manan Island when I was running backwards to catch a football and i stepped over the cliff, and found myself hanging by a ledge about 15' from the top of the cliff and there was nothing i could but climb up the cliff to save myself, so I did.

That day I became a rock climber.

*** now this isn't true, but imagine if it was ***

I acutally started climbing at my colllege wall when a buncha dudes from my class drug me down there to try it out with them at noonhour.

It's all on my website.

Partner cracklover

Sep 8, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #37 of 37 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
when i forgot my keys i would get my dad's 6' ladder, put it against the front of the house, reach up to my open window (another 5') and pull myself up. i used to forget my keys often and keep my bed by the window for a fun landing.

Me too! Except no ladder. I just climbed one of the posts of the porch roof. 25 years later, and I can still remember the sequence! When I had shimmied to the top of the post, it was throw up the right hand to the roof, match hands, right foot heel-hook, mantle with the right hand while smearing with the left foot on the post. I must have been, oh, around 8. Worked great 'til one of the neigbors told my folks. :(

I climbed trees, buildings, cliffs, waterfalls, stone/masonry retaining walls, you name it. Didn't run into someone who could teach me to rope up until much later.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook