RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

imnjerz

Aug 20, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Partner - NJ/Gunks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a beginner climber looking for a regular partner for the gym (NJRG) weeknights and Gunks on the weekends. I've taken a belay cert class and I've got the essentials - belay device, shoes, harness and chalk bag. What I lack in experience, I can make up in enthusiasm and dependability (ie - if I say I'm gonna be there, I'll be there)

mega

Aug 21, 2003, 4:03 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Partner - NJ/Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in North Jersey and looking for a reliable indoor partner (none of my outdoor partners live nearby), and I hit the Gunks a few times a month on weekends (don't trad lead there though -- either follow or toprope). definately up for some climbing (evening/after work), my only hang-up is NJRG -- I don't dig that place. My preferred gym is Randolph climbing center -- brand new, smaller, but much less crowded and surfaced, rock like walls. The other alternative is Diamond Rock in E. Hanover -- again, smaller though, but it also has rock-like walls. Drop a line if interested -- megake02@yahoo.com

vertical_risk

Sep 1, 2003, 2:23 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also looking for a indoor partner at NJRG, might consider Randolph.

Available for weeknights (6PM on) and sometimes weekends.

I'm new to indoor, certified in belay and got the essentials (including good sense of humor).

email me if anyone is interested!

bonesbrigade

Sep 1, 2003, 3:23 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to reply to the comment about the NJRG. I went there for the past two years and love the staff. Barbara is extremely nice and Matt Stark, the route setter, is very friendly if enagaged in conversation. Doug is also a very nice guy there, stocky guy looks like an ogar. I would seriously consider giving it a chance and talking to some of the very nice members and employees of the gym. Go NJRG!!

mega

Sep 2, 2003, 7:51 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I was (still am) very partial to the gym I used to climb at in college -- Petra Cliffs in Burlington, VT -- of all of the gyms I have ever been to, no other gym has ever had the same atmosphere. I guess I just don't get the same feeling from NJRG, or any place else for that matter - well, being back in Jersey, not too much other choice.

imnjerz

Sep 4, 2003, 7:36 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the replies to this thread. I've found an awesome partner and hope to climb outside this weekend (if it stops raining for 5 minutes). As to the negative vibe at NJRG, if there is one, I have yet to confront it. Most of the climbers seem very focused on the problems at hand and when not attacking a route, they've been more than helpful with dispensing advice and spotting when needed.

reborne

Sep 9, 2003, 7:38 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would concur with bonesbrigade over there ide say i enjoy 90 to 95 percent of the people at njrg but if your a girl i could understand how it might take a while to settle into the place, the guys do get a little jumpy at times i can think of a few in particular

grmlly

Oct 13, 2003, 11:19 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey whats up?

My name is Mike and i am also in your area looking for a partner. I live in Northern Jersey. I hang at the NJRG but really want a partner for the Gunks or any outdoor stuff. I am almost 15 and im basically an Intermediate climber but just wanna get out there, doesnt matter what we climb. I am pretty experienced out side but i dont have any partners. I've got most of the equipment. Biners ropes etc.

Id love a partner, mail me back when you have a chance

thanks alot, hope to see you at the crags,

Mike

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook