Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Min. MPs for printing (dirtbag digital...)???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

ptone

Sep 20, 2003, 5:36 AM
Post #1 of 3 (387 views)
Shortcut

Min. MPs for printing (dirtbag digital...)???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I quicksearched for digital topics trying to find more detailed info about printing digital camera shots, but found very little.

Lots of talk about high 4or5+ megapixels, but not much about less.

I am poor. If anyone has experience printing (I know on screen or net only doesn't matter that much) pics from 1.3 MP or 2 MP cameras, I'd like to hear about it.

I'm not looking for poster blow-ups, but hope to get 4X6 prints clear enough to recognise the faces...

I saw a fuji 2.0MP with a 3X optical for $199.00 canadian, it is pushing hard at the limits of cash on hand.
Would you recommend I wait and save for a higher pixel count?

Thx fer yer thoughts
p

justuspr

Sep 20, 2003, 5:54 AM
Post #2 of 3 (387 views)
Shortcut

Re: Min. MPs for printing (dirtbag digital...)??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a 2.1 Mp olympus, that I have printed 5X7's and 4X6's with and been very happy with the results... 8X10's get fairly grainy. If you have a good printer and paper it makes a huge difference. My best results have actually been from a Sony print Kiosk at Kinko's, the 4X6's from that were as good as any Film print I have ever had.

pico23

Sep 22, 2003, 4:24 AM
Post #3 of 3 (387 views)
Shortcut

Re: Min. MPs for printing (dirtbag digital...)??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I quicksearched for digital topics trying to find more detailed info about printing digital camera shots, but found very little.

Lots of talk about high 4or5+ megapixels, but not much about less.

I am poor. If anyone has experience printing (I know on screen or net only doesn't matter that much) pics from 1.3 MP or 2 MP cameras, I'd like to hear about it.

I'm not looking for poster blow-ups, but hope to get 4X6 prints clear enough to recognise the faces...

I saw a fuji 2.0MP with a 3X optical for $199.00 canadian, it is pushing hard at the limits of cash on hand.
Would you recommend I wait and save for a higher pixel count?

Thx fer yer thoughts
p

Don't bother saving. If all you want is 4x6 and 5x7 (and that is all most people ever do with there photos anyway) go with a 2.3MP. You'll be plenty happy with it for 4x6. Look at getting them comercially printed unless you have a really nice printer but I've printed some scanned 300dpi photos on my $25 Lexmark with good results.

Save you money for something better down the road but don't get caught up in the MP leaps right now. Digital still has a long way to go and you'll end up regretting dropping $500+ you didn't want to spend in the first place.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook