RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

warhorst

Oct 10, 2003, 10:40 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

New to Oklahoma
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

i have just moved to Stillwater for school. So is there any climbing area near stillwater? or is it mainly in Tulsa, OKC.....???

Thanks

mike_ok

Oct 10, 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Re: New to Oklahoma [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RUN. DRIVE. FLY. SKIP. Do whatever you have to do to move away from the hell-hole we call Oklahoma.

In all seriousness, its not that bad if you don't mind road tripping. The Tulsa people will say Chandler Park is worth going to, but its not. Its crappy bouldering that was never good, and is even worse now that all holds are greased and gone.

However, you're only 3hrs or so from outstanding climbing in Arkansas, and maybe 4hrs to the Wichitas (arguably the best climbing in the lower midwest).

So just get used to roadtrips.

coclimber26

Oct 11, 2003, 1:45 AM
Post #3 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Whichita's seemed ok for climbing, I also remember the taller mountain just north of Lawton being good.

cliffmonkey2003

Oct 11, 2003, 2:11 AM
Post #4 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey dude,

I just moved to Stillwater for school too, but this beats the hell out of Michigan. Anyway, you're really only about 2 hours away from the Wichitas, its definitely not 4 hours, and Chandler, its what we've got. Oh, and I want to say that OKC Rocks sucks, I really wouldn't go there, not even if I was a gym rat. That about sums up the climbing that I know of around here.

mike_ok

Oct 11, 2003, 2:14 AM
Post #5 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, Chandler really does suck. Boulder on your dorm before wasting the drive.

Second, if you know how to get from Stillwater to Lawton in 2 hours, you either drive over 100miles an hour, or have a plane. However, you're right, its not 4... I wasn't thinking. I'd say 2.5 to 3... Stillwater is NE of OKC by around an hour, and its a good hour and half from OKC to Lawton.

Third, I have to disagree on OKC rocks. A variety of climb types with a variety of difficulties, with really tall climbs. I agree, other gyms have more interesting stuff (Exposure in Dallas, for instance, has overhanging climbs, roofs, etc) but for a good workout that really builds endurance (doing laps on 90ft'rs is a good thing) OKCRocks is a nice gym. Add to that that you can climb for 5 bucks on Mondays and Wednesdays (College discount) and youv'e got a decent gym.

HOWEVER, I agree its not something worth driving to from Stillwater on a regular basis. But then, what gym is worth driving an hour to get to?... the whole point of a gym is that its close...

Fourth, the mountain north of Lawton (and west, for that matter) is Quartz Mtn, and is also a nice place to climb... actually has a few multi's and nice cracks.

texplorer

Oct 11, 2003, 2:45 AM
Post #6 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wichita Mountains wildlife refuge near Lawton has some really cool climbing as well as quartz mountain.

cyberclimber

Oct 11, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #7 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi warhorst,

Welcome to the climbing mecca and cultural center of the universe we call Oklahoma ; )
As the other posters have told you, you're just a bit more than a couple of hours from some very fine granite in the Witchita Mountains Wildlife area. Get a PikePass, come down I-35 to OKC, hop on the turnpike, I-44 W and try not to fall asleep at the wheel. The TA's are mostly trad, with a few multi-pitch routes, but there are a few bolted sport lines and enough bouldering to keep anybody happy. Chandler park, which is closest to you, has greasy limestone and nothing much over 20 feet tall, but it is rock and isn't as bad as the other posters make it out to be, gotta love those broken glass and condom landings. Robbers Cave is a small area in SW Oklahoma with some bomber hard sandstone and ironite in a beautiful wooded setting, but nothing is over 35 feet and it is mostly top-roping and bouldering. Down around Antlers, OK are some hard sandstone bluffs being developed along the Kiamichi River, but they are on private land and you have to hook up with a local. As someone else mentioned, Arkansas is only 4 to 5 hours away and there is LOTS of nice rock about an hour SE of Fayetteville. I hope you like road trips, cause from Stillwater, everyplace is a road trip. Let us know how you like it once youv'e tried some okie rock.

climber_osu

Oct 11, 2003, 4:42 AM
Post #8 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Wichitas are the best place around. There is a life time of great rock there. Chandler is good if you like the bouldering or short climbs. The osu wall will be reopened in a few months and I cant hardly wait.

warhorst

Oct 11, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #9 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for all the feedback guys......

gonna start climbing again i guess...

any good website or beta/map on the climbing area....??

cheers

mike_ok

Oct 11, 2003, 11:48 AM
Post #10 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to pick up Chuck Lohn's book "Oklahoma Climbing Guide"... its pretty much the only published beta around. As to websites, you can find some stuff online, but not much. If you can't afford the book (its 25 or 30 bucks) then just go to the refuge park headquarters and jot down whatever information you need from the book that day (they have copies in there).

ie, if you're going to treasure cove, sketch a map to it and pertinent information (although, if i may suggest, treasure cove is one of the places NOT to go to w/out a guide book).

maybe someone from osu can answer: does stillwater have an outdoor store? do they sell lohn's book? if so, just go pick it up.

coconutz

Oct 11, 2003, 3:27 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ol' Chuckys book is out of print right now and there are no more left. Chuck is living in Thailand right now and he is working on a second edition. Your not that far from Chandler and the Wichitas. Chandler is good, despite what some people tell you. It suchs for Sport climbing but is great for bouldering. It'll make you very strong and good with your feet. I've been climbing at Chandler for about 9~10 years, it's my home "area" and I think that it is great :D .

mike_ok

Oct 11, 2003, 9:03 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah lohn's book is out of print... funny story. he left the country and the wherehouse he was keeping the extra copies at went out of business and threw them all away.

however, most stores still have some in stock... i'm pretty sure backwoods in tulsa and okc still have some, and i know that as of two weeks ago there were 3 on the shelf (who knows how many in the back) at the wichita refuge headquarters.

fullahsiffur

Oct 12, 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #13 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, if you want to try Okc rocks it is a unique place. I have not seen or heard of any other gym with routes that are as realistic as some of theirs. No tape, some entire climbs carved into the walls, 80 ft. climbs, and great prices.

chuckd278

Oct 12, 2003, 1:08 AM
Post #14 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my 2 cents.
The Wichitas are great climbing. If your a cool headed leader you will have fun. Quartz is even better, but not as many climbs. Chandler is all right if you live close by. Every few years you can catch some wi2 maybe wi3 ice flows along avery drive in the winter although they only last a few days. The place near antlers, ok is great. It is like Mt. Magazine but in Oklahoma. Robbers cave is like chandler, but if you ask around maybe somebody will take you to one of the five other places near robbers cave that have been developed. Tenkiller is fun, but if you want to keep your gear don't climb there. There is an old developed area along the shores of Grand lake, but I can't remember the name of the cove. The closest place to you in Arkansas is Lake lincoln, sw of saloam springs, ar. I didn't mention 2 other place that I know of in Oklahoma to climb, but keep your eye open and talk to some of the old hardmen and you will find them. Oklahoma is a great place to live if your a climber. You just have to hook up with the right people to take you places instead the sketchy fools that think they know everything about Oklahoma climbing.

Chuck

madcowrockclimber

Oct 12, 2003, 2:27 AM
Post #15 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want outdoor stuff slide on over to the witchitas for a weekend just lookout for buffalo and longhorns

jskaggs

Oct 12, 2003, 5:39 AM
Post #16 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These people need to learn to keep their mouths shut when talking about a subject they know nothing about. Oklahoma is an excellent state for climbing you just have to know where to go. OK has produced many excellent climbers and its centrally located in the U.S. which makes it great for road tripping. Anybody who says OK is terrible for climbing is not a climber. Im not an elitist, Im not even that great of a climber but, find the guidebook, search out the classic routes and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

mike_ok

Oct 12, 2003, 12:12 PM
Post #17 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
These people need to learn to keep their mouths shut when talking about a subject they know nothing about. Oklahoma is an excellent state for climbing you just have to know where to go. OK has produced many excellent climbers and its centrally located in the U.S. which makes it great for road tripping. Anybody who says OK is terrible for climbing is not a climber. Im not an elitist, Im not even that great of a climber but, find the guidebook, search out the classic routes and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

I love when people don't read the thread before posting. Not a single person in this thread bashed Oklahoma climbing. In fact, most who posted gave information on where to climb, which is more than we can say for you. Which "these people" are you referring to? The people who gave information?

foursquarewarmup

Dec 14, 2003, 6:25 PM
Post #18 of 18 (2359 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where around Grand Lake is there a developed area?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook