RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tallpaul

Oct 22, 2003, 11:32 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

College climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This message is for the college student climbers. Does your school have an organized climbing club? I am thinking about getting one going at mine. If you do have one, specifically what kinds of things do you do? In other words is it strictly bouldering or does the school allow sport climbing? Do they give school sponsored classes and go on road trips? Any information would be helpful. Thanks

mattdog

Oct 22, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Re: College climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in a hard core traditionalist climbing area here in Clemson.

Traditionally, sport climbers are dragged around via their ropes behind a car or truck. Its a real pain in the back, but you should see what it does to the ropes. Normally you have to buy a new one.

If anyone catches you bolting (or worse, retro-bolting) a route, you are forced to give up one finger per bolt. This is why most sport climbs in the Clemson area have long run-outs.

That having been said, we sport climbers in the area gather in small numbers, waiting for our chance to rise up and make the brotherhood of climbers a reality... in this day, in this age, and say, FREE TO BOLT AT LAST! FREE TO BOLT AT LAST!

So, to answer your question, no, there are not any rock climbing clubs at Clemson.

mattdog

Oct 22, 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, to answer your question, no, there are not any rock climbing clubs at Clemson.

Oops... however, the university outdoor rec club does sponsor a trip every now and then to Currahee... for noobs and TRAD climbers only! :evil:

pisceian

Oct 23, 2003, 12:02 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, my school (Roanoke College) has an organized club. We go bouldering and route climbing. You can rent out the pads (no charge) and we have ropes, harnesses, shoes, qd's, helmets... No classes, but we do trips, day or overnight. Our school is looking into getting a wall, and we might even rapell off the gym.
I can't give you advice on how to set up the club though... you'd need to talk to your administration about how to do that.
Good luck,
Pam

washufinku

Oct 23, 2003, 1:23 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to Hampshire, which does not have an outing club, however has an outdoor program. Staff lead trips ranging from ice climbing, sport climbing, whitewater kayaking, backpacking, and more. Gear for the more extreme sports cannot be checked out due to liability concerns. So, those of us who boat own our own kayaks, and those that climb slowly start accumulating their own gear. Courses are also offered, primarily top roping and then an advanced course dealing with lead climbing.
Having a program is great, since you don't have to deal with climbing buddies unwilling to go climbing due to hungover-ness, however sometimes I fear that people don't learn much independence
--Carlitos

krestkid

Oct 23, 2003, 1:25 AM
Post #6 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Baylor does not have an organized climbing club...we use to but it's gone this year. We have a 52 foot indoor rock and the people that work there go out a lot and always offer for others to go along. Our Outdoor Rec program takes climbing trips as well. Good luck getting something going at your school!

quickclips

Oct 23, 2003, 1:33 AM
Post #7 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, I started it. I taught the intersted people how to climb, and we take almost weekly trips, including a spring break trip. Last year we went to J Tree, Red Rocks and Zion. THe school has some good buildings to climb,but they aren't big on bolting them

isaidwhat

Oct 23, 2003, 1:44 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a student at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. We have an organization called Poly Escapes that includes just about anything you can think to do in the great outdoors including rock climbing. Only pre-qualified "trip leaders" are allowed to lead climbs (sport, trad, or aid) for legal reasons but we have some great trips. The school gives us money for the climbing wall and administration purposes but the students pay for the trips. Most of the trips I take out end up costing less than $15 but some can cost a few hundred (we are going skiing in Canada this winter). Check out the website and give us a call if you have any question or need help.
805-756-1287

brianstltz

Oct 23, 2003, 2:40 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah my school has a pretty sweet program. I get to climb almost every day. The club has trips to the Gunks often. Check out the website if you want... the page is 6 months out of date but is still informational

http://www.usma.edu/...clubs/clim/home.html

iclimbedthat

Oct 26, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My School (Universtiy of Pittsburg at Johnstown) has the "OUtdoors Club" and we go climbing about twice a week while the weather holds up, all we do it top-roping, but thats only because thats all anyone in our group knows how to do and its the easiest and safest for beginers, which is the majority of our group. But we are school sponsered and get money from them to buy new equipment,which we buy at cost through a local outdoor adventure camp, and to pay for trips, . The club costs $5 a semester to joint the club, but that alowes you to borrow any equipment and pays for all our trips including a weekend trip to Seneca Rocks, WV

taraus_de_bull

Oct 26, 2003, 5:20 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah we have one at Univ. of Delaware. We have a small crappy wall. The club member run the wall and go on trips day and overnighters. The school gives about 500 bucks a year. its officially a "club sport" not just a club. like a flag football or such. Their is clinics to teach new people how to properly do things, its pretty cool.

captianstatic

Oct 26, 2003, 7:00 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a student at the University of Kentucky. We recently built a rock wall and have a great outdoor pursuits program. We offer lead climbing classes, men's/women's technique classes, route cleaning classes, as well as trips to HP40 and the Red. We also have a student only bouldering competition that runs through each semester. Check us out at WWW.UKY.EDU

mistymountainhop

Oct 26, 2003, 7:16 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am a student at southern illinois university (yeah, the one that got voted worst sports school in the nation). we have a 28-foot dinky climbing wall. its not anything big now, but it was one of the first walls in the country which was a big deal. we have a club that offers trips for climbing, backpacking and canoing around the area. the thing about this school is that it is relatively close to alot of awesome climbing areas, and the program isnt anywhere close to its potential.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook