RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stizrizzo

Nov 5, 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1936 views)
Shortcut

J-Tree Climbers, please look
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Everyone,
Many of us spend alot of time enjoying the awesome climbing, beautiful scenery, and social environment that J-Tree offers.
Alot of changes seem to be on the horizon, however, and not for the better. Aside from increased traffic, greater regulation, and widened roads, there are many new concerns.
I encourage you to check out http://www.savejoshuatree.com if you have not already.

If you want to help preserve J-tree, as it is, please consider writing your representatives in regards to any or all of the threats outlined at Savejoshuatree.com I was certainly shocked and distressed when I learned what is going on in the area!

The threats to the very nature of the park include a massive golf resort / city / housing development on the south border of the park, as well as a huge new landfill.

If nothing else, please be interested in these issues, and help develop awareness among the j-tree climbing community.

Thank you

curt

Nov 6, 2003, 12:22 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1936 views)
Shortcut

Re: J-Tree Climbers, please look [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The threats to the very nature of the park include a massive golf resort / city / housing development on the south border of the park, as well as a huge new landfill.

If nothing else, please be interested in these issues, and help develop awareness among the j-tree climbing community.
I wish that site had some dates next to its postings. As far as I know, the zoning request for the housing plan "Joshua Tree Hills" was denied. Also, the landfill was killed about 6 or 7 years ago.

Am I missing something? Has any of that stuff been resurrected?

Curt

josher

Nov 6, 2003, 1:03 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the golf course died too.

damn pot stirrers

hello_heino

Nov 6, 2003, 1:04 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is currently a new planned development in the area, but I don't think it is proximal to the park.

Unfortunately as we grow from 275 million to 310 million people over the next fifteen years, there will be much development and change. Look at the changes wrought over the past 20 years (at the monument, that is). Certainly, as an olde timey, I am disheartened by many of the "upgrades", but the reality is that the place is just as good as ever, and if one were to venture in for the very first time tomoorow, they would love the place every bit as much as the people that stumbled onto it 30 years ago or even earlier.

Instead of fighting change and instantly forming these anti-groups, why not embrace the changes that need to be made to accomodate larger numbers of users, and get involved in making changes that work efficiently, and don't compromise what makes the place special to begin with.

Something observational about today's youth: They have a mostly misguided sense of civic obligation. Their spirit may be in the right place, but their thinking is stilted. Unlike their brethren of the 60's and 70's, today's activists are usually barking up the wrong trees.

sixter

Nov 6, 2003, 1:25 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Something observational about today's youth: They have a mostly misguided sense of civic obligation. Their spirit may be in the right place, but their thinking is stilted. Unlike their brethren of the 60's and 70's, today's activists are usually barking up the wrong trees.

Makes me think of the recent ELF fires here in San Diego, no not the HUGE fires we just had, but there were three new housing developments torched by ELF. Let's see, they want to preserve the earth, and they do so by causing fires to housing developments causing pollution, wastes resources, increases insurance rates. That makes a ton of sense.

ianmeister89

Feb 25, 2011, 4:49 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stizrizzo] J-Tree Climbers, please look [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thread Resurrect!

It's been brought to my attention that there is a proposal to construct a landfill on the border of Joshua Tree National Park.

http://act.credoaction.com/...t_trash_joshua_tree/

This is the link to a petition, and this has some further info. Apparently the deadline for this thing is tomorrow, so please take a couple of seconds to check this out.

-Ian

edit: clicky

(This post was edited by ianmeister89 on Feb 25, 2011, 6:21 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook