RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

dobbsboy

Nov 6, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1662 views)
Shortcut

slacking on thick hemp rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone slacked on that realthick (2" diameter) braided hemp rope. I was recently in Mexico and they had two ropes strung across this lagoon, so that you could hold one with your hands and use the other for your feet. I was like 180' long. I tried to slack on the lower line but only ended up getting very wet. It was pretty cool, however i would like to try it on a little shorter length.

rogueclimber

Nov 6, 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1662 views)
Shortcut

Re: slacking on thick hemp rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I know a few stunt people that set up a beefy hemp rope at muscle beach in Santa Monica from time to time on Sundays. It is a little different
than a slackline and kinda hurt my feet. :oops:
I still show up there sometimes to set up my line.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 7, 2003, 6:25 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1662 views)
Shortcut

Re: slacking on thick hemp rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, this comes down to symantics... That's more of tight rope / rope walking than slacking. Mostly for the reason of material stretch. In a rope you have a static (or very close to) length so you will only get shakes, but no stretchy bounce like on a slackline.

That bounce and dip makes the two very different in my opinion. I'm not saying one is better than the other, walking a static line isn't easy either and I've found it's more of a balance beam that wiggles side to side and hurts your feet.

To me you loose all the fine control you can get on a slackline, for instance knowing how the webbing will rebound on your steps and using predictive movements to control yourself much better - that doesn't happen on rope.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook