RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

clint

Nov 9, 2003, 8:25 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Wren Soloist vs. Solo Aid
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone out there with first hand experience using either the Soloist or Solo Aid? I am not sure which one to throw down for. Please send your reviews.

jakewolf

Nov 9, 2003, 8:39 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wren Soloist vs. Solo Aid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a soloist. I have free climbed and aided on it. It works well and is a very simple device. I is really great for aid climbing. Free climbing is a little tough to get used to which direction to pull for slack to clip gear. If you use one you will see, but you will get used to it. I have never used the solo aid, so I can't compare, sorry.

flamer

Nov 9, 2003, 9:18 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The silent partner is, in my opinion, the best option. I've used it and would highly recommend it. However I have not used either the soloist or the solo aid. The upside down fall/ failure thing is an issue with the soloist. And talking to folks who've used the solo aid they said to just stick with a clove hitch.
Alot of people will tell you to use a grigri, Having used to solo I would say it does work but I much prefered the silent partner.
josh

climb4life

Nov 10, 2003, 12:05 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd go with silent partner. sure they may be very bulky, but it makes working the rope a dream. i have taken an upside down fall on it and silent partner still stop my fall.

climb on

adamtd

Nov 10, 2003, 3:53 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb with a soloist all the time. It is really simple and works quite smoothly. With the use of a chest harness (as per manufacturer's instructions), it eliminates the upside down fall. The soloist is self feeding although when top roping with it, I find it helpful to hang a litre waterbottle at the bottom, just for a little extra weight. The solo aid isn't self feeding and from what I understand can be a pain to work with sometimes. I have never used the solo aid though. I'm sure you know this, and have heard it before, but all of these devices require a solid foundation in rope work and understanding of camming devices/ascenders.

adeptus

Nov 12, 2003, 5:57 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For aid climbing clove hitches will do fine.

For top roping the Soloist is okay. But as Josh mentioned the upside down fall/ failure is an issue with the soloist, even when using a chest harness, so itīs not good for leading.

For free climbing the Silent Partner is the best device.

Regardless of method always use backup knots!

jtcronk

Nov 12, 2003, 6:02 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say if you want to put out the $$$, go with a Silent Partner, it is good in every in situation. The Soloaid is okay, but not much better than clove-hitching. I've been using a Soloist for a few years and have no issues with it. As far as it not being good for leading, that is a bogus claim. The chest harness is a plus and as an end-all prevention of your early demise, simply tie a Fig-8 backup knot periodically......

junnos

Nov 12, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Used them both and must say that the GRI-GRI is way better.

ep

Nov 12, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
With the use of a chest harness (as per manufacturer's instructions), it eliminates the upside down fall.

Not true. What the instructions actually say is this:

"The Soloist should be located at the correct height relative to the climber's body, which will help you to stay upright after a fall. (If you turn upside down after a fall, the Soloist will probably release)."

"If danger of an upside down fall is great, you can always tie your backup as if you weren't even using a Soloist"

In reply to:
I've been using a Soloist for a few years and have no issues with it. As far as it not being good for leading, that is a bogus claim. The chest harness is a plus and as an end-all prevention of your early demise, simply tie a Fig-8 backup knot periodically......

I think a device that won't catch you if you invert has a pretty serious flaw. A backup knot isn't a backup if you expect the primary device to fail. That knot then become your primary protection so you'd better tie two. The guy who fell off laybacking the first pitch of Braille Book last year was using a Soloist and the device didn't lock up. It really isn't that hard to invert in a leader fall.

tedc

Nov 14, 2003, 6:02 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to buy something. I'd highly recommend the extra money for the Silent Partner. Easier, Simpler, Safer, IMHO
TedC

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook