RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Partner baja_java

Nov 21, 2003, 7:03 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1122 views)
Shortcut

beta for Slate's Spire in Big Sur?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone climbed it, or know where exactly it is? it's suppose to be this 50' rock tower that juts up on the beach, according to the thin, dark red San Luis Obispo book. looked for it on the way back from Redwood NP a while ago, but didn't see it (not in the routes database here either). all the book said was it's about 10 miles from the SLO/Monterey county line. like to jump on that on the way back from bay area after thanksgiving

many thanks

a510poser

Nov 28, 2003, 3:35 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1122 views)
Shortcut

Re: beta for Slate's Spire in Big Sur? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, despite the awesom approach description I found that thing once. It was actually pretty cool looking and I almost climbed it 'cept the waves kept chasing my belayer away! You definately need to go there on a pretty low tide. I think there's one fixed piece enroute and a few disconnected cracks, but judging from the rock quality I was assuming it was pretty much of a solo. I saw some slings on top so somebody got off of it at some point, but ya know bolts don't last too long in that environment and if I was going up there I would consider having an alternate plan for the descent, just in case. I would also consider it a proud ascent.
Good Luck!

Partner baja_java

Nov 30, 2003, 8:10 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1122 views)
Shortcut

Re: beta for Slate's Spire in Big Sur? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you! was ready to concede nobody knows, or the thing migrates with the tide or something. so do you remember where exactly it is? is it south of pacific valley? north of where HWY 1 veers inland away from the coast cliffs near san simeon? anything that marks the approach path off of HWY 1?

i'm not even sure if it's north or south of the SLO/Monterey county line. there's a sign saying where the line is if you're southbound on Hwy 1, but not northbound. looked again yesterday on the way back from bay area, within about 15 miles north and south of that line. stopped along the cliffs just about whenever i could, but still didn't see it. i'm heading up to monterey in a couple weeks. would love to hit that while i still have my dry rope, just in case i need it

any detail is immensely appreciated

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook