RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

ryanpfleger

Nov 22, 2003, 5:17 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Scarpa F1
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody have the Scarpa F1? How well does it climb? How well does it ski? I am pondering getting my first AT setup this year and was just wondering. Another boot I'm looking at is the Laser.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ryan

cnyclimber

Nov 22, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Re: Scarpa F1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the laser. It's agreat boot. I paid retail two seasons ago, and now it's on closeout just about everywhere for under 300. It walks well, and accepts step in crampons, and is great for long skins. Sometimes(depending on socks) I get some hot spots on the front of my shins, but it's a great boot. The f1 is geared more for randonee racing, I would think it climbs alot better than it skis. Isn't this a rockclimbing site? hillman

ryanpfleger

Nov 23, 2003, 2:07 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. It IS a rockclimbing site, but the forum says Alpine and Ice, so I figured what the heck. If ski mountaineering isn't part of alpine climbing, then I don't know what is. This place also gets a lot more traffic than rec.skiing.backcountry it seems.

Thanks

Ryan

forbin

Nov 23, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you want to do with this gear? The F1 and the Laser are both definitely a big compromise on the downhill compared to the Denali XT. The Denali isn't Dynafit binding compatible and is heavier than the other two boots, so if weight is your main concern (ie you plan on doing a lot of touring) go with one of them. If you're more interested in skinning up for stout descents, then the Denali (or the Garmont G-Ride) with a Diamir Freeride binding is the way to go.

ryanpfleger

Nov 24, 2003, 1:08 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, the emphasis is definately going to be on touring. I am totally new to AT so if I like it I can always get a beefier setup and keep whatever I buy now as a lightweight touring setup. Just trying to figure out the best rig... I am now kinda leaning toward the Dynafit TLT 4Pro. Already pretty much decided on the new TLT Comfort bindings, probably mount them on some 175 cm Atomic TG SL's. I'm 5'11" 160 if that helps anybody advise me. Right now I'm still in learning mode, so I'll probably change my mind a few times. There is going to be a demo day at my local resort on Dec. 6th so I'll probably try out some stuff, unfotunately I don't think LifeLink (Dynafit) is going to be there. But I should get a chance to demo some Diamir's and Denali's or whatever. Fritschi and BD are for sure supposed to be there. So anyway, if the beefier gear seems like it would work for longer tours maybe I will go that route. AT any rate I don't ski super agressively anyway. I like skiing reasonably steep stuff, but I don't ski fast, and I stay on the ground.

mainline

Nov 25, 2003, 3:46 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just had this debate with myself recently. I already own the Denali XT with Fritchi Freeride bindings and Atomic 10EX skis. It's definitely a downhill oriented set up but it's great for short tours where I want to maximize the downhill experience. However after using this set up in the Randonee Rally in Jackson I quickly realized that I needed something much lighter for rando racing and long tours. I found the Garmont Mega Lite boot to be the best fit for me. It's almost as light as the Dynafit TLT4 Pro, and it's Dynafit compatible. The Dynafit TLT4 Pro has a tall foot box. I would have had to put a lot of extra padding on the liner to get my foot to fit. Both boots come with thermoflex liners this year which saves a lot of weight while adding warmth. The F1 felt like it would be really weak on the downhill when I tried them on. I wouldn't recommend them unless you are planning on rando racing. As for bindings and skis, I went with a pair of Dynafit comfort bindings and Dynafit rally skis. The skis are some of the lightest downhill skis made at under two pounds each. The downhill performance is significantly worst then my Denalis and Atomics, but I have both ends of the spectrum covered. Check out Louis Dawson's page on this subject: http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/menu_articles.html

ryanpfleger

Nov 25, 2003, 6:06 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info mainline. I have high arches so the height in the TLT 4Pro's will probably be nice, but I'll definately keep the Mega Lite's in mind. None of my local shops have them, but one at least does carry Garmonts, so they could always order them. How are those ski's working out for you? Specifically on the downhill.. I imagine they tour great. If you don't mind my asking what length did you get and how much do you weigh? Have you used them for a long tour yet? How much did your pack weigh?

Sorry about all the questions, I greatly appreciate the help

Thanks!

Ryan

mainline

Nov 26, 2003, 2:00 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I weigh about 155-158 lbs. I am 5'10" tall. I got the skis in 180cm length. The dynafit set up tours great. It is incredibly light. The construction of the ski is similar to that which is used in cross country skis, so I don't have much hope for their durability. I am afraid that the first rock I hit will blow them apart. They ski well in powder and crud, but are very squirrely on the hard pack. I wouldn't go near the resort with them. I plan on using them specifically for long tours, Rando racing and ski mountaineering. I got the skis really cheap. If I had more money, I think I would give the Dynafit D712 ski a try. Check out Life Link's site: life-link.com. Life Link is the U.S. distributor of Dynafit. They have some great specials on skis and boots on the web site.

I have only used this setup with a really light pack containing the backcountry essentials: shovel, probe pole, water etc... They would tour fine with any pack, but downhill turns would suffer with a heavy overnight pack. The skis are very soft.

The Garmont mega lite is only available in Europe. However, the Dynamite is a slightly more downhill oriented boot but is still really light and is available in the US.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook