RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

sizzlechest

Mar 1, 2002, 1:57 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Warren Harding's Passing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Unfortunately a great man left us last night, Warren Harding passed away peacefully last night from liver failure.

A great man, who gave us some great routes (The Nose) and who always had a spirit of good times and adventure.

crackaddict

Mar 1, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Warren Harding's Passing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to see you go. We will miss you and always remember you. Thanks for being a pioneer in rock climbing. And for establishing some of the greatest climbs in the world.
Goodbye!

miagi

Mar 1, 2002, 2:52 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Every man dies, its how you lived your life that counts. So in this case...he lived a good life.

graniteboy

Mar 1, 2002, 5:38 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Warren, buddy; I'll miss you. Thanks for autographing my boots. My dad always had good things to say about you from working with you. The last time I saw you, your girlfriend was soused to the gills, and you were both in the DMV line in Truckee.
Thanks for the Nose, Warren. But Goddamn, I could have done without the offwidth on Conness and probably the Harding Slot on Astroman, too. But thanks, old man. We'll all miss you. At least those of us who had a clue as to who you were and what it would have been like to do bigwalls with homemade gear....
See you in the big squeeze chimney in the sky, dude.
Your fan;
Graniteboy

addiroids

Mar 1, 2002, 5:46 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn dude!

That really hits me. I don't know how to express what that made me feel. Although I have never met Warren Harding, I had him as my top "most wanted to meet" climber guys. I don't even relate the name Warren Harding to the President in the 1900's. Even the last name brings thoughts of Yosemite to my mind. I really have respect for a man who would do great routes like WEML, The Nose, and West Face who didn't give a damn about what Royal Robbins said and put up awesome routes.

F*ck, he climbed THE NOSE!!! When everyone else pussy-footed around the edge of El Cap, he said "F*ck it!" and climbed right up the middle of the damn thing.

My climb of the Nose this summer will mean all that much more now. I will have to dump out a nice bottle of wine in his memory (after a sip to honor the passing of a great hero) from El Cap Towers.

You will be truely missed, Warren Harding.

Solemnly,

Paul Addison

offwidthclimber

Mar 1, 2002, 7:46 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's a fu cking shame. what an inspirational man and a true yosemite pioneer.

we will all miss you batso! peace in the land above.

cheers.

apollodorus

Mar 1, 2002, 8:39 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I met Warren in the Valley almost 20 years ago. He was a great guy to meet and shoot the schnitt with. I will never forget his eyes: pure window-to-soul lucidity. He was the sort of guy that I immediately wanted to hang out with. I told him I thought he was great for not cratering to the criticism he'd endured. All he did was laugh, shrugging. What a guy. Probably the best Yosemite climber ever, in terms of vision and drive.

traddad

Mar 1, 2002, 1:56 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Batso was one of my first climbing heros, and his book "downward bound" one of my first "bibles". A true pioneer who never let foolish consistancy hem him in. I figure he's up on El Cap Towers watching the sunset and toasting life with a glass of good red wine.
Heaven.
Here's to you, Batso.
Traddad

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook