RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Used Gear / Great Deals

Premier Sponsor:

yayapapaya

Nov 28, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1182 views)
Shortcut

shipping duty and taxes to canada
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shipping to Canada.
Its a weird one... considering Canada prices are usually cheaper... but! REI's sale price for some arteryx gears are cheaper than MEC's (unless there are other online store in canada, i'm quite inclined to ship from REI to vancouver. Anyone knows anything about the cost of the duties and taxes? I have factored in the $20 shipping from REI and i'll be shipping a few bags... so that makes some savings.

Even in canada, goods are also taxed 15% so i was thinking i can prob ship from REI.

Anyone knows the taxes? or any other online stores in Canada?

tendertendons

Nov 28, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1182 views)
Shortcut

Re: shipping duty and taxes to canada [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on what you buy. I do alot of online shopping south of the border and to my recollection I've NEVER paid duty on any item that was recreational related... only GST and PST. On the rope that I bought last year the courier just left it a my doorstep and I didn't even owe taxes. Maybe if the item is labelled "Mountain safety equipment" exception is taken in terms of taxes...

Anyways, with the dollar where it is now there is a certain allure to "un-patriotic" behaviour on the part of Canadians this Christmas season.

:twisted:

sir_chalkalot

Nov 29, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If BC has an agreement with Revenue Canada that the provincial sales tax is collected on imports (as it is in Ontario and Quebec) you will pay that in addition to the 7% GST. If those Arcteryx bags are made in Canada you would never be charged any duty. You may pay duties on items that are made outside NAFTA (US/Canada/Mexico), such as in China, but many times they just don't collect it. You should be aware that if REI ships by UPS standard service you will pay an outrageous brokerage fee. If you have the option at all choose US Postal Service.

My rule of thumb is that the landed price (shipping + customs) of an item in C$ is double the US$ sale price.

George.

sir_chalkalot

Nov 29, 2003, 3:27 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Anyways, with the dollar where it is now there is a certain allure to "un-patriotic" behaviour on the part of Canadians this Christmas season.

:twisted:

What is truly unpatriotic is when Canadian manufacturers charge more for an item made here than they do in the US. There are many examples of this in most sectors.

George.

yayapapaya

Nov 30, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks everybody. i got my answer clear and sweet! any mail order place besides MEC can i order my outdoor gears from? Oh btw sir_camelot, REI charges a flat $20 by Canada Post to any place in Canada. So that saves on postage quite a bit. sales tax of 14.5% is the same as buying any stuffs from Canada. At a sale, REI would be cheaper than the retail price for MEC. Thats my research so far.

Forums : Archive : Used Gear / Great Deals

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook