RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

dreamofclimbin

Nov 24, 2003, 9:29 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Telluride Dec. 27 Thru Jan. 2
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone..this is my first post since becoming a member but i have searched to forums for a little over a month. my question is: ill be going to telluride colorado dec27 to jan2 and was wondering if there is any good climbing around there. i looked in the route section and didnt see much so i thought id ask if there was any climbing that was unlisted. i would rather boulder since i will probably be climbing by myself but any information on sport, tr, bouldering etc would be appreciated. Thanks

telluryan

Nov 24, 2003, 10:03 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Re: Telluride Dec. 27 Thru Jan. 2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is generally too cold for any sport climbing, trad, not to mention we have snow!!!. THis is a mountain town and that is heart of the winter, However, if you are in to ice climbing, you will be happy man! There is some very marginal bouldering located at an area called Society Turn (mostly traversing). Can be good on sunny winter days. other than that your best bet for rock climbing is toward the Desert.

thelawgoddess

Nov 29, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i jsut moved to telluride a few weeks ago. i find it almost too cold to ski (i said almost - lol); i can't imagine trying to climb anything but ice in this weather!

moabbeth

Nov 29, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You won't be able to climb anything in Telly til spring. If you want rock climbing, Moab is less than 2 hours away and depending on temps around that time, it might be okay for climbs that stay in the sun.

If you want ice climbing, head over to Ouray, it's on the other side of the Dallas Divide less than an hour from Telluride. The ice park there is pretty sweet, you can get a guide at San Juan Mountain Guides there and learn how to swing some tools. If you haven't tried ice climbing, it's worth it. Ouray is a fantastic place to learn and get the hang of it. And if you don't want to hire a guide, you can still rent gear at the mountain shop in town.

And they have the Ouray Hot Springs there so at the end of a long day on ice you can take a nice long hot soak :wink: !

thelawgoddess

Dec 5, 2003, 8:20 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live in telluride so let me know if you need a partner to climb something. i'm new here so i don't know the area very well but i've got some guidebooks. do you climb ice at all?

stizrizzo

Dec 10, 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New sport climbing area outside Norwood. Go ask for a topo at Telluride Mountaineer on Main Street

cthompson

Oct 20, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm will be in Telluride in December. I am looking for ice partners. Would love to tick off Bridle Vail.

Cheers,

C.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook