Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

vulgarian

Dec 3, 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #26 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Re: somebody please discourage me [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do it. I did. I went up the backside via the Hotlum-Bolem ridge (sp? name? my brother has my Shasta book) It was my first moderate alpine climb. Crazy-fun. Get a 3:00 a.m. start. Watch the sun rise over the world and be sure to check out the looooooooooooooong shadow the mountain casts. It is an exhausting climb, but doable. P.M. me for info if you want. You will only be taking a small summit pack on the climb. The approuch from the backside is relatively easy and short. Besides, from the looks of your profile pic, you won't need to take a coat.

csoles

Dec 3, 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #27 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what about Misery Hill? there is always some feature called Hell or Misery or Torment. why is that?

People with bad attitudes. Hills are your friends, enjoy them. A month of training won't do much but it's better than getting off the couch. But the b/f factor is the biggest problem I foresee. And having good gear...being cold sucks.

watersprite

Dec 3, 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #28 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm reading Alan Watts' guide to Smith Rock and he sounds so negative - it's good reading, he tried to make the routes interesting and give some history but every page is "crappy rock," "not worth the approach," etc.

moabbeth

Dec 3, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #29 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just go for it Linda. If you're not summiting and just going to base camp, you've got nothing to lose and lots of great experience to gain. And if it makes ya feel better, I'd never climbed a 14'er before, never carried a 35-40lb pack up a mountain, and couldn't (still can't) run a mile without puking and I still summited Mt Whitney in August without a single day of training....except for my usual routine of climbing, drinking and smoking a lot. Was it the smartest thing to do on a couple days notice with zero training? Probably not, but it seemed like the fun thing to do at the time and I made it. But just cause you're not a runner doesn't mean you won't be just fine....but I would start training if you're planning to do it and not just go "hey, let's go do Whitney on Thursday" like I did. At least training with the pack and hiking up hill a lot will help condition you for the trek to basecamp.

And the snow and cold will just make it all the more fun. The views will be spectacular. You'll be with someone who knows what they're doing so you'll be safe. No reason not to go for it.

watersprite

Dec 4, 2003, 12:23 AM
Post #30 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks, Beth - and all who responded. I'm going for it. Just ordered my mountaineering boots and I found a down jacket on ebay...
can't wait!

harrisha

Dec 4, 2003, 12:43 AM
Post #31 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For a jump start endurance sport training guide look back in outside magazine 2 or 3 months. It's a six week training plan and then go for it.

moabbeth

Dec 4, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #32 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thanks, Beth - and all who responded. I'm going for it. Just ordered my mountaineering boots and I found a down jacket on ebay...
can't wait!

Good for you girl!!!

Just start training now and don't do the moment's notice 14'er backpacking like I did :oops:. Doing a lot of uphill hiking with a pack on will make it a lot easier and comfortable experience for you. You'll have a blast!!

fullahsiffur

Dec 4, 2003, 1:10 AM
Post #33 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Off topic, yes, but for all who have done both, how does Rainier compare to Shasta and Whitney?

bandycoot

Dec 4, 2003, 1:17 AM
Post #34 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shasta should not be taken lightly. Some people have called this a "hump" in this forum, but it can be far from it. Elevation is a huge factor in this decision. When I climbed shasta it was summer and I had little to no weight with me for the last few thousand feet and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Elevation sickness destroyed me to the point where I couldn't stand after sitting or laying down and had to be picked up and put on my feet. I summitted, but it was a HORRIBLE ordeal. In the winter/snow it will be harder, and with all the winter gear weight it would be harder. If you're not used to elevation it might not be worth it. If you are, maybe you'll be OK. Cardio is a huge factor in elevation acclimitization.

On another note, the winds are so severe up there at the summit that sometimes people can't summit during the summer and injuries happen when people are blown off their feet into a multithousand foot fall. During the winter I remember seeing huge clouds of icy shards blown off the summit from the ski park in the area so I assume that the weather is pretty gnarly during the winter.

Factor in the technical knowledge you might need with avalanch potential (I'm ignorant in this respect myself) and other winter hazards, and you've got a pretty big challenge ahead of you. Good luck, and you'll have to let us know if you're successful!

Edit: Just noticed you're only going to 10,000' Go for it for sure. Make sure you KNOW you're not in avalanch territory if you're going to be waiting there, and have a blast.

trad_mike

Dec 4, 2003, 1:21 AM
Post #35 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Off topic, yes, but for all who have done both, how does Rainier compare to Shasta and Whitney?

It totally depends on the route. Whitney Main Trail is the Sierra superhighway. Avalanche Gulch on Shasta is a steep snow slog. Disappointment Cleaver on Ranier is far more strenuos and requires roped travel skills. The fitness level required for Ranier is much much higher than the easiest routes on Shasta and Whitney.

billburning

Dec 4, 2003, 2:11 AM
Post #36 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The DC is a slog too. A little longer maybe, but definitly a slog. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the routes on Rainier are slogs.

fullahsiffur

Dec 4, 2003, 2:19 AM
Post #37 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, just wondering. I climbed the DC two months ago.

forbin

Dec 4, 2003, 2:21 AM
Post #38 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
good idea. I think two boxes of kitty litter should = 40 lb.s

i generally use full water jugs. If you climb a hill for training you can ditch the weight on the way down, no use in beating up your knees.

joe

Dec 4, 2003, 8:29 AM
Post #39 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the guide is my wanna be b/f

i think its funny how guys think they can get laid by taking girls climbing.

up a freakin volcano no less.

maculated

Dec 4, 2003, 9:23 AM
Post #40 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Procrasssstinating over here . . .

Linda, go for it. I am sure that pretty much anyone can make it up to 10k so long as you don't have any pre-existing conditions. Make sure your wanna be b/f (you want him or he wants you?) is encouraging. Nothing like getting ditched because the guy is way ahead of you and focused on that. I hate it.

Shasta's a cool mountain. I haven't done it, but it's a worthy goal. You can get into shape by May, no problem.

watersprite

Dec 4, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #41 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

May would be easier, no doubt. But this is January, depending on weather. Water jugs is a good idea, not sure how much a gallon weighs, though. anyone? Bueller??

robmcc

Dec 4, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #42 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 8 pounds.

bbevans039

Dec 4, 2003, 5:12 PM
Post #43 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you will not make it , you will suffer , you may get hurt, shasta is cold and very hard to climb in the winter, i have attempted 3 routes in dead winter, beleive me , if the weather is bad you will suffer !! that i promise. wait till august to climb, being in good physical condition is essential for winter climbs, even the most in shape climber will be hurtin on shasta in the winter.... but its all dependent on weather.

watersprite

Dec 4, 2003, 6:03 PM
Post #44 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we're going to go if a certain weather condition occurs. will let you know how it goes. Thanks to the last poster - it was most disencouraging!!

andypro

Dec 4, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #45 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont jog. Walk. Up hills. Lots of them Even if they're not big..walk up, back down, and up again. Running uses comletely different muscles.

Be rpepared to puke, but keep pushing yourself. It's not that bad. Just puke while your walking, off to the side, and keep moving. youll feel better after you do. Just keep the momentum. Starting again after stopping is the ahrdest part. Drink alot. IF you puke it up, drink more. If you cant keep anyhitng at all down, sit for a bit until youc an drink, then get walking and puking again

Spend a night or two if you can at 10000ft, then go for the summit, conditions permitting. Keep puking your way up, youll be ok. :wink:

watersprite

Dec 4, 2003, 6:22 PM
Post #46 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, Andy, I don't like to throw up, so I don't think I'll take your advice. I only threw up once with each child - once after eating an egg salad sandwich - the other time it was mac and cheese.
No, I think I will just go up to base camp. Now if I could only remember the weather condition we're waiting for - flume something. will get back to you guys....

walk.... puke.... walk.... puke- oh no, I'm going snowboarding!!

vulgarian

Dec 4, 2003, 6:32 PM
Post #47 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deleted

dingus

Dec 4, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #48 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Shasta should not be taken lightly. Some people have called this a "hump" in this forum, but it can be far from it.

Most people have no clue and when it comes down to it, will not want a clue really, as to just what it is like to be on a big peak thousands of feet above your tent when a storm hits.

2 points:

1. Mt. Shasta sees some of the highest snowfall amounts in one of the snowiest ranges in the US. It is a huge and isolated peak and beyond cliche, makes its own weather. That weather is substantially wetter than even in the Sacramento area.

2. Two or 3 years ago, a very experienced Sacramento mountaineer with hundreds of ascents to his credit, including numerous trips up Shasta, died as a result of #1 above. Shasta can seem benign on a spring day and largely is. In a big winter storm it will seem a malevolent killer. It is neither of course. It is just a big mountain that suffers weather extremes in winter, extremes that most climbers have no experience with.

Was that discouraging enough? Ever waded up a 2000 foot slope through thigh deep snow? That will do more to your courage than anything I can say anyway.

DMT

Partner iclimbtoo

Dec 4, 2003, 6:35 PM
Post #49 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stop reading this damn forum and start training

watersprite

Dec 4, 2003, 6:36 PM
Post #50 of 51 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love Dingus, I really do.
OK, we're only going in the best conditions... the reason to go now, is precisely not to be postholeing in snow. the snow whould be crisp enough that we don't even need snowshoes....
oh, brother, what a trip report this will be... and I disregarded the prime directive: Pick a project and then don't tell anyone!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook