RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tammarak

Dec 6, 2003, 3:42 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Hayla Xela
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey again! We just got back from Xela, and man were we impressed. What a beautiful location. I have a few questions, we were climbing in Chicua right at the top. There are two bolted faces, one thats steep with three routes and one that's off-vertical with two routes and a trad line. We started with the two bolted routes on the off-vertical face. Then moved over to the steep face and attempted the middle line. I'm curious as to the grades given to these routes. Climbing here is great and I'm sure I'll be back soon.

dkennedy

Dec 23, 2003, 3:56 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hayla Xela [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On the slightly overhanging rock, the grades as I saw them were 11a, 11c and 11d. All fun. On the sightly under vertical wall the ratings were 10a, 10d, 9. Again all pretty fun. Note these three routes are listed in the route database as 8, 12a, and 11a which are in my opinion completely off the mark.

piocha

Dec 23, 2003, 7:21 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey on remark to the last post that dkennedy put up, I am very curious on the ratings to all of these six climbs, and therefore the rest of the ratings put up for most of the climbs at Las Ventanas. I posted the ratings on the route database based on a book written by a local of the area that has topos and intricate descriptions of the Las Ventanas crag. The ratings for "la chocolatada" wall (the slightly overhanging face) in the book are 12a, 11b, 12a and for La Vertical the ratings are 8, 12a, 11a. I would really like to to get your opinions on this. I haven't graded them myself and the info put into the database was put strictly on a basis of a guide book written specifically for this climbing area. Please give me some feedback in order to fix any mistakes put up on this site.
Thanks
Climb ON Guate

dkennedy

Dec 24, 2003, 9:23 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

The ratings you have were also what I was told by the locals Miguel and Pablo (more or less), but after doing those routes several times, I felt that they were pretty far off. These guys have done a great job developing the area, but I don't think they have climbed in enough areas to really grade accurately. On La Chocolatada wall I think my ratings were pretty accurate. There is no way the left route is 12a, maybe 11b. The middle could be 11b or 11c. The far right could be as hard as 12a. I was originally told 12c for this route. On the La Vertical wall, 8 is too easy for the arete, 9-10a seems about right. The middle one is not 12a. I was told that grade, but even after eliminating many holds I could not see the grade harder than maybe 11a. The crack is 9-10a. On the Oja wall, the grades are also a little off. I felt they were 10a, 12b, 11d/12a, 12b, 11b, 12a, 12c, 12c. That wall is a little confusing on the right side though. The route labeled 13a, no mater how it starts, is no harder than 12c. The route just to the left, climbed into the big flake is also about the 12c. I did most of the routes there if you want any opinions on grades as well as grades at the other crags in Guatemala. I have just left Guatemala after being there much of the last year, sorry I did not get a chance to meet you.

Dave

wintersong

Dec 28, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello My name is winter and I have been living in Guatemala and climbing in Xela quite a bit I guess I would like some more information about the other areas in guatemala if any of you know some more good climbing areas I would love to go or if you are in Guatemala and would like to climb send me a message at songwinter2002@yahoo.com I am going to honduras soon and if anyone knows about the climbing there let me know:
adios

piocha

Feb 20, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey winter give a call when your around antigua, you got my number.
Hey Dave thanks for your help with the ratings on the routes in xela, if you can send me your email so that maybe I can get some feedback and beta on some other climbs around guate.
Gracias.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook