RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

boltdude

Jan 2, 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4060 views)
Shortcut

1961 Summit "Indoor Rock Climbing" article
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My mom was tossing out some old wilderness medicine articles, and on the opposite page of an old one from the August 1961 Summit magazine, she found the first page of a little article titled "Indoor Rock Climbing" It talks about indoor buildering at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. Author was Ross Petrie, and he said that some climbers started buildering inside the lodge in the spring of 1961, and then said (a great quote considering gyms today...):

"Since that time the sport has spread to other parts of the building..."

Don't have the rest of the article, but the first page has a picture of the author chimneying in a corner in a classic outfit.

Anyone have the whole 2-page article? I was thinking it'd be fun to post a copy in a climbing gym!

Greg

brianinslc

Jan 12, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4060 views)
Shortcut

Re: 1961 Summit "Indoor Rock Climbing" article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My mom was tossing out some old wilderness medicine articles, and on the opposite page of an old one from the August 1961 Summit magazine, she found the first page of a little article titled "Indoor Rock Climbing" It talks about indoor buildering at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. Author was Ross Petrie, and he said that some climbers started buildering inside the lodge in the spring of 1961, and then said (a great quote considering gyms today...):

"Since that time the sport has spread to other parts of the building..."

Don't have the rest of the article, but the first page has a picture of the author chimneying in a corner in a classic outfit.

Anyone have the whole 2-page article? I was thinking it'd be fun to post a copy in a climbing gym!

Greg

I think I have that issue in the archives somewheres....

Another one I ran into the other day..."The Climbing Rag", published in Bozeman in april 85. Had an article about a climbing gym in town, in an old converted raquetball court up on MSU campus. I think folks had been using it for training well before that...had to be one of the earlier venues for indoor climbing...

Brian in SLC

csoles

Jan 12, 2004, 9:32 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My high school in Washington DC built its first climbing wall around 1977 by bolting wood holds and cracks onto a 4-story brick wall (they now have a bitchin' custom wall/tower). It may have been the first purpose-built climbing wall in this country. There are much older ones in the UK, probably dating to the early 50's. Vertical World in Seattle claims to be the oldest commercial gym in the US but it only opened in '87.

PS give me a frickin' break...the Puritans on this site consider bytchin' a cuss word!!

deleted
Deleted

Jan 13, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #4 of 5 (4052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, clyde, i hate the d*mn language filters, too. i mean, why substitute [i:16631a72d5]poo[/i:16631a72d5] for sh*t? it just plain looks silly.

[i:16631a72d5]intelligence filters[/i:16631a72d5]. now [i:16631a72d5]that's[/i:16631a72d5] what this site needs.

*i tried the "brightness" knob. it doesn't work*

cologman

Jan 15, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #5 of 5 (4060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

During the summer of 1970 I spent a good deal of time working in Breckenridge, CO. I stayed in a dorm/hostel that had a large rock fireplace. There were several of us in the place that climbed and we would spend our evenings when we weren't out actually on rock working rtes on the fireplace. As I recall the thing was around 16' - 18' feet tall. Some resounding thumps would occur when you jumped off from high up. The manager of the place would put up with it only so long before she'd shut us down for the evening. The trick was to send and down climb, she wouldn't be aware of what we were doing if no one fell. :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook