RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

barefooter

Jan 5, 2004, 1:52 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Latest adventures in rock climbing...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I got done climbing today around 2 up at ortega falls, about a 50' top rope with a 5.7 .9 and a couple of .10's. Getting bored with the same old climbs I remembered a large rock up on a hill that I hiked to back in high school. I remembered it having some potential if just for bouldering being only about 20' high. So instead of hiking I tried to find a road up from the backside to get me there quicker. Following a semi maintained dirt road that seemed promising, it soon turned in the opposite direction but I kept following. After about 20 minutes I see a 40' to 50' boulder pointing straight up in the air. Now that I'm druelling, I'm determined to get there but the rode I'm on T's off with dead ends with a house on each end. I stop my truck and walk up the hill to try and find a way over to the rock. Right then I look over and see a guy(more like redneck) riding up on a quad. I run down the hill hoping he will give me directions. When I get to him I see he's packing some hand gun stuffed in his pants and he's pissed.
The conversation went something like this-

me: Hows it going man, I'm trying to get over to that big rock to climb it.
THE REDNECK: WHAT THE F##K ARE YOU DOING HERE?!
I'm just trying to go climb that big rock.
YEAH SO, THERE'S ROCKS ALL OVER THESE F##KING HILLS!!
I know but that big one looks really fun.
YEAH SO, THERE'S ROCKS ALL OVER THESE F##KING HILLS!!WHAT THE F##K ARE YOU DOING HERE?! (not muck vocabulary out of the redneck)
I'm just trying to climb that rock dude.
ARE YOU TRYING TO F##KING RIP ME OF?! (like I would tell him if I were)
No I'm just trying to go climbing let me show you my gear.

After that he believed me and introduced himself as John. I guess he's caught kids up there trying to rip off his stuff so they're all real protective of their land. (he should probably put a NO TRESPASSING sign up instead of a STOP sign) He also let me know that the big rock I was trying to get to, him and his neighbor just rented a D9 CAT to push it down the hill, what a waste, and that I should feel lucky because they normally just start shooting before checking to see what people are doing.

I guess the lesson of the day is:

When searching for new spots to climb, stay away from rednecks with guns.

Partner hosh

Jan 5, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Re: Latest adventures in rock climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I was driving around in the ortega area one day looking for some bouldering and I found this 30' pillar sticking straight up in some avocado orchard. No redknecks with guns or anything, but the sucker was bolted(!) and hard as hell. I was alone so I couldn't lead it and I couldn't get past the first 3 moves anyway. Seemed to be in the 5.12 range. Can't recall how to get there though. But I've found a whole bunch of decent boulders right off the freeway. You know the border check right as you head into Temecula? There's a whole bunch of rock there and (though it's hard to get to) it's pretty good climbing. There's even this real good hand crack up in soime guy's plantation that he let me climb for a while. I just knock on doors and ask people if it's ok if I climb on their land and they're usually pretty cool about it. If only I was still in SoCal!

Partner coldclimb

Jan 5, 2004, 7:06 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Re: Latest adventures in rock climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When searching for new spots to climb, stay away from rednecks with guns.

Got the same problem here if you get back into the bush while hunting or such things. People who live nowhere tend to live there for a reason. ;) Luckily there's enough territory here for everyone.

roughster

Jan 5, 2004, 8:41 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1266 views)
Shortcut

roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster moved this thread from General to Trip Reports.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook