Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

reno

Jan 10, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #1 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

If this is January, I must be in Colorado
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not a real "trip" report, per se, but a brief note to talk about my day at the crag.

Now you must understand something: I moved to Colorado from Georgia, and in Georgia, the only three months of the year I wasn't rock climbing were June, July, and August. Too dang hot and humid. It was not a rare event to have warm sunny weather in February for Georgia climbing.

I moved to Colorado, enjoyed the variety of climbs from June through November, and figured once winter hit, I'd have to learn ice climbing or simply go without climbing till the spring. Now I've had a chance to climb on ice (thanks again, Geo,) and it's great fun and all, but not the same as pulling down on some granite or sandstone. So for the past few weeks, all my energy and focus was geared toward ice climbing, and the forthcoming Ouray Ice Festival.

Imagine my joy, then, when I saw the weather forecast for today: low 50's, sun, and no chance of rain. So I said to myself, "Self, you have to go climbing Friday. It's the only day you have free all week, and it's gonna be nice. So get off your fat lazy butt and get on the rock."

Now I'm not one for taking orders, even from myself. Back in the day, when I was just a wee lad, my beloved momma would tell me to do something, and it was only with much reluctance (and a few swats on the backside) that I would do as I was told. So it is rare indeed for me to obey that inner voice and do as I was told. But this is climbing we're talking about, and I generally don't need much motivation to go climb.

So I called a few folks...

"Tommy? Jeff. Wanna climb Friday? Oh, you're working. No, that's ok, I understand."

"Heath? Jeff. Wanna climb Friday? Oh, you're working. No, that's ok, I understand."

"Tracy? Jeff. Wanna climb Friday? Oh, you're working. No, that's ok, I understand."

"Josh? Jeff. Wanna climb Friday? Oh, you're working. No, that's ok, I understand."

"Geo? Jeff. Wanna climb Friday? Oh, you're working. No, that's ok, I understand."

By now, I'm fast running out of ideas, and it's late Thursday night. I'm halfway through a bottle of Bushmill's Irish whisky, and contemplating the practical aspects of teaching my cat to belay with a GriGri. I mean... if I tied her down with a static line, and used some 9/16 webbing to improvise a feline harness, it'd work, right?

*sigh*

I collapse into bed, sleep the sleep of the dead, and dream of "Simpsons" cartoons... Or is that the Simpson's theme song I have as my cell phone ring tone? Damn... It is the phone. Oh, wow... 9 am. Well, now.

It's Kelly. She has the afternoon free, and she wants to climb. I muster all the energy I can, and reply, in a half-asleep and hung-over condition: "mmmph, mrrgmf, snurrrfph." She says she'll call back in an hour. I brew the coffee, take two full mugs with a salt and lemon chaser, and I'm feeling RIGHT! Let's GET IT ON!

Kelly called back, we met at the coffee shop, where I ordered a quadruple espresso with milk, and we head to Boulder Canyon.

Now I'm not quite sure what rock we were on.... it's right across the road from Cob Rock, for those who are well versed in such things. (A little help here, folks?) but it was a fun rock. A short, yet aerobic approach, and we start off on this nice 5.9 sport line. Kelly sends it with style and aplomb, and I pull the rope, leaving the draws, and run up it as well.

Next line to the right was a fun .10-something, which I dispatched with only a few moments of "Where the heck is the next move??" hang-dogging. (Actually, since I was not weighting the rope, I suppose you can't call it hang-dogging. Maybe "Stand-dogging?")

And now a word from our sponsor: Mind you, folks, I'd love to be able to tell you the names of the routes, but neither Kelly nor I thought to bring the guidebook. If the lack of route names is a cause for consternation, then I suggest you build a bridge and get over it. We now return you to your regularily scheduled TR.

I finish the .10-something, lower off, Kelly sends it, and we pull the rope. Moving on, the next route uses the same first two bolts as the 10-something we just finished. Kelly takes the first lead, and quickly calls down "This one is more sustained than the last." She slips, slides, and peels at the fourth bolt, yet my attentive belay quickly mitigates any damage. (Insert self-congratulatory pat on the back here.) Kelly finishes, I lower her, and I head up that same line, ready to disprove any myths of "sustained difficulty."

That idea lasted about three moves. Once again, I said to myself "Self, this is sustained, and more difficult than the last route." I squirm and slog my way up, and get to the lousy stance just before the fourth bolt. Then my feet peel, I slide, slip, and fall.

Forty feet below me, I hear Kelly chuckle, and say "Yep... same place I fell. Same move, too."

So now I'm a little PO'd. I dump my ball cap, and I talk to the rock: "OK, you lousy SOB... let's get it on." A hard crank on a right finger pocket/sidepull, and I stem wide left. Reach up high with my left hand (I've got long arms... a "Positive Ape Index" as Kelly pointed out,) and I'm though. Get to the anchors, clip in, pull the rope to set up the rap, and down I go.

Great day of outdoor rock climbing in 50 degree weather in Colorado in January. Thanks for calling me today, KB.

I'm so glad I moved out here from Georgia.

deleted
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 2:44 AM
Post #2 of 33 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Re: If this is January, I must be in Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

d*mn sunshine climbers ...

had you come up to the [i:03b91fb0a8]highcountry[/i:03b91fb0a8] you could have joined me in 20 degrees and blowing snow on nicely verglassed granite.

now i must be off. my picks are square and badly in need of a sharpening.

reno

Jan 10, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #3 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
had you come up to the highcountry you could have joined me in 20 degrees and blowing snow on nicely verglassed granite.

Hmmm...

A day in the sun, with a sexy chick wearing stretch pants and a tank-top... :D

... or a day in blowing snow and sub-freezing temperatures with a bald-headed Marine "snake driver" who has an affinity for sheep. :shock:

Hmmm...

deleted
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 2:53 AM
Post #4 of 33 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, [i:11ab8ba742]my[/i:11ab8ba742] second was no slouch.

hell, a [i:11ab8ba742]blind[/i:11ab8ba742] man could have seen that despite her down jacket and balaclava. :wink:

dpurf

Jan 10, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #5 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What, no mention of me in this post :shock: . I am so :cry: . I distinctly remember you reaching out for partner as far a San Diego, ME. I would have been there, but I could not catch the flight in time :wink: . Anyways it sounded like a great day.

God I miss Colorado.

I will be back soon and we are going to hit Eldo again.

Cheers
Dave

reno

Jan 10, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #6 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What, no mention of me in this post :shock: . I am so :cry: .

Oh, geez... Need a tissue? ;)

In reply to:
I will be back soon and we are going to hit Eldo again.

You're on!

bobd1953

Jan 10, 2004, 3:58 AM
Post #7 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geo-enough of the cold weather whining. I know you took the 20 min. drive down to Buena Vista where you were basking in the sun getting the top of your head tan. Meet me at Shelf tomorrow, its going to be high 60's

Reno, Kelly and you were climbing at "Blob Rock"one of the best winter crags in the Boulder area. The last route you did sounds like "Get Shorty" a nice 5.10 that I bolted.

deleted
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 4:01 AM
Post #8 of 33 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry, bobby-dee ...

monitor rock, my friend.

why don't you put away the lycra, grab yer woolies and come swing some tools?

bobd1953

Jan 10, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #9 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
grab yer woolies and come swing some tools?

Thanks for invite but there are only certain people that I swing my tool at!

deleted
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #10 of 33 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:607f3fd409="bobd1953"]Thanks for invite but there are only certain people that I swing my tool at![/quote:607f3fd409]

yeah ..

there was a time when i used to think wolfgang gullich was pretty hot, too. :lol:

bobd1953

Jan 10, 2004, 4:26 AM
Post #11 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, especially after a good *stiff* dose of Mexiagra!

That stuff works wonders, just ask Laurel. About how they are hanging, that's another one for her.

I'll give you a call tomorrow or go to Shelf.

bobd1953

Jan 10, 2004, 4:30 AM
Post #12 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
there was a time when i used to think wolfgang gullich was pretty hot, too

Yeah, he caught my eye for the first time when I saw him hanging one-armed off the lip of "Foops" in 1979 or 80.

skibabeage
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 4:31 AM
Post #13 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post

deleted
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #14 of 33 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[i:4ef1bd5486]mah[/i:4ef1bd5486]-tha --

my plans for the weekend have just now drasticaly changed for the better. call me on my cell tomorrow evening.

skibabeage
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #15 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post

bobd1953

Jan 10, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #16 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my plans for the weekend have just now drasticaly changed for the better. call me on my cell tomorrow evening

Let's all climb Sunday in Boulder Canyon and dinner at my house...

deleted
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #17 of 33 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scha-[i:974b56e160]weet[/i:974b56e160]!

now, i'm off on a moonlight climb ...

mother_sheep

Jan 10, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #18 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be in the Canyon on Sun. Solaris or Avalon, if I can find some sun. Geo, you coming down?

bobd1953

Jan 10, 2004, 5:18 AM
Post #19 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'll be in the Canyon on Sun. Solaris or Avalon, if I can find some sun. Geo, you coming down?

You should go to "Shelf" tomorrow.

neph

Jan 10, 2004, 7:04 AM
Post #20 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'll bring some food and the Patron if somebody gives me a ride.. ;)

reno

Jan 10, 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #21 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'd like to join y'all, but I'm driving to Crawford, Nebraska (take 25 north, about 120 miles past Cheyenne, turn right, and go another 90 miles. You are now well past civilization. Keep going...) for a funeral.

Another time.

deleted
Deleted

Jan 10, 2004, 2:55 PM
Post #22 of 33 (5017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, reno ...

no disrespect intended towards your late uncle, but iff'n yer gonna' die, i suppose [i:6c611562ad]nebraska's[/i:6c611562ad] as good a place as any. :wink:

enjoy the funeral; i've found it's a pretty opportune time to catch up with the distant ones you haven't seen in forever.

mother_sheep

Jan 11, 2004, 1:15 AM
Post #23 of 33 (5026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You should go to "Shelf" tomorrow.

Maybe I will if I can get up early enough. Always worth the drive.

Everyone have a good weekend!

dlintz

Jan 11, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #24 of 33 (5021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
no disrespect intended towards your late uncle, but iff'n yer gonna' die, i suppose nebraska's as good a place as any.
As a longtime Nebraskan I can assure you that dying is very easy here. That is dying of boredom.

Actually, the only outdoor climbing I've ever found here in Nebraska is near Crawford. There's a few extremely chossy, brittle formations that I've managed to boulder up in Toadstool State Park 15 miles NW of town.

Warning: Do not waste any of your precious minutes on this Earth making a bouldering trip to this place, it is not worth it.

deleted
Deleted

Jan 11, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #25 of 33 (5012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, d ... if [i:3f3c8f7a0d]that[/i:3f3c8f7a0d] doesn't sound like a reason to have a nebraska gathering, i don't know what would. :lol: :lol:

why not hop the state line sometime and join in on one of [i:3f3c8f7a0d]our[/i:3f3c8f7a0d] shindigs?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook