Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New Boulderwall on Karak Highway
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

blocx

Dec 30, 2003, 2:33 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

New Boulderwall on Karak Highway  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Crawdad_Canyon: Cartoon_Crag)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today we had a good session setting up a couple of problems at a brand new BLOCX concrete boulderwall. This wall has been installed at the new Petronas Highway stop on the Karak Highway, a few kilometres before Bentong.
Check out details and pics under region "Pahang"

arrowhead

Dec 31, 2003, 9:58 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Re: New Boulderwall on Karak Highway [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, that's excellent!

It'll be great if we could have these things on all the gas stations along the major highways in M'sia :-)

blocx

Jan 5, 2004, 2:02 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i heard that a quite some people already went there to check out the place. got some cool feed back.
we will also do a fun competition for the official opening. i will let you know as soon i will have the dates

arrowhead

Jan 12, 2004, 6:39 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh heh. On a lazy Sunday afternoon we thought of doing something different than teh usual climbing plans @ Batu Caves, so we decided to check out the bouldering wall near Bentong. En route to Bentong we saw signboards on Karak highway leading to Genting.

The temptation of the force was sooo strong that we made a detour to First World Hotel to do some climbs at the artificial wall there. We finally did make it to the climbing wall situated in a Petronas station before Bentong around 10pm.

The wall looked and felt great. Had difficulty traversing across, maybe due to the arrangement of holds, or maybe we're just plain sucky climbers. I'd like to think that we were just too tired after all the climbing efforts at Genting :-)

Regardless, the wall does seem to attract a fair amount of attention from both locals and visitors alike. We answered some climbing enquiries from the curious ones, and I think that having a few more walls like these would serve well to increase the awareness of climbing in Malaysia. And even to change the perception that climbing is inherently dangerous and should be avoided at all costs unless you're insane :-)

blocx

Jan 12, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we are happy that this wall draws so much attention. to be honest, we were afraid that this would become another white elephant.
we chose to build a concrete wall for the reason of low mainenance and visuality. this material offers also possibilities to do technical and hardcore climbs without using the bolt on holds.

we are greatful that petronas had the inspiration of building a climbing facility at their highway stop. we of course do hope that this example will attract climbers and laymen alike. imagine we had boulderwalls at each petronas highway station! is this the birth of a nation of boulderers? hehe. why not?

by the way, the black traverse from left to right kicks in around 8a trav., so it is no shame if you popp off on your first try! :roll:

spaniard

Jan 15, 2004, 7:38 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn! its so damn good to climb along the highway plus enjoying the breeze of black smokes coming out from the lorry and buses.hehehe. anyway.. congrates and i pretty sure. we will make it there soon.. hehehh tell us earlier about the fun climb activity blocx..! so that we can join it too.

blocx

Jan 17, 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spaniard, i guess the air at this stretch of highway is cleaner than the air in klangvalley or batu caves.
i don't really grasp what you mean by telling you earlier. we set this info up the day we were fixing the holds...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook