Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
2004 ouray ice festival
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next page Last page  View All

elvislegs

Jan 14, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #701 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Re: 2004 ouray ice festival [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

In reply to:
6 more hours of psuedowork, then the road will be my only companion, well, that and the 3 kegs of beer and the gear and you get the picture. Hope you all have a safe trudge up to Ouray, im almost beside myself!!! im taking a minivacation woohooo....totally wierd taking time off to have fun, i havent done this in so long its wierd, and thats wierd to feel wierd...

...you said it all man... wierd.

redpointron

Jan 15, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #702 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm here in Ouray....

never thought it would happen. Flight got nixed out of Denver. United Sucks. Somehow landed on a bus to Grand Junction. And a bus to Ouray. Climbed the past 3 days in gorgeous weather. Can't wait for the crazies to arrive.

r.r.

reno

Jan 15, 2004, 3:40 AM
Post #703 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

The Lasagna Magnifico has been prepped. Whence I arrive in Ouray, I'll finish it off (boil noodles, put together, and bake.)

Let me tell y'all something.. and this sounds like I'm bragging (mainly cause I am, but I digress....):

This Lasagna is the Shiznit... The Truth... Proper... Righteous... Off the Hook.

It's pretty good, I think. I hope y'all do too.

Now then... the checklist:

* Clothes... Check.
* Gear... Check.
* Food... Check.
* Boots, harness, etc... Check.
* Wine... (hic) Check.
* Cat has been supplied with lots of food and water... Check.
* Gas in the Jeep... Check.

Off to bed for 6 hours of sleep, up at 0400, and off to Ouray at 0500. See y'all on Monday or Tuesday, and a full trip report shall be forthcoming.

Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

sharpie

Jan 15, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #704 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

leave some of that Shiznit out for late comers...

reno

Jan 15, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #705 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
leave some of that Shiznit out for late comers...

Will do... you want meat or veggie?

I've got to save a few servings of veggie for Tracyroach and company, who will arrive on Friday, or she may not invite me to "get sweaty" and "palm some jugs" with her during lunch. ;)

Since the pans are huge, I don't think that'll be a problem.

tradkelly

Jan 16, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #706 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

The festivities have begun! We're here, most of us anyway, and IT IS GOOD. The kegs are cold and charged on the deck; the condo is an incredible 3-story deal. If we could stop the damn religious and Marine jokes, it'd be perfect. I think it's going to be a good weekend - it looks as though there'll be a record number of nubile young female ice climbers here this year, for some reason (this thread, perhaps?). Our personal token female would join and post (many thanks to our free dial-up connection here), but she's indisposed upstairs, too exhausted to make the trip all the way down here to the computer. We'll take better care of Skibs tomorrow after we visit the hot springs. :wink:

More to follow tomorrow, along with the first batches of (evil) and (good, blue ice) photos from the festival. Be jealous. :) Don't hate us; we've just moved along to the next evolution from you sport-climbing weenies.

deleted
Deleted

Jan 16, 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #707 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

/geo exits the upstairs bedroom, leaving skibby on the king-size bed in the throes of the afterglow, and, looking at the herd of men congregated in the living room, hollers .../

[size=24:5677d637fb][b:5677d637fb]"NEXT!"[/b:5677d637fb][/size:5677d637fb]

deleted
Deleted

Jan 16, 2004, 1:51 PM
Post #708 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

friday morning.

we're sitting here in the condo enjoying a breakfast of strong coffee, fruit salad and bagels artfully prepared by our very own skibabeage.

as the only woman in a house of 12 men, she's really been hustling to get things done around here. we would really like to have her post here today, but, after she finishes the breakfast dishes the downstairs toilet is clogged and in dire need of attention.

we'll try to get her to log on after the lunch rush, but i'm not making any promises.

okay, then, we -- that is the men -- are off to climb.

reno

Jan 16, 2004, 2:01 PM
Post #709 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Good morning, folks. It's Friday morning, and we're (more or less) awake. Geo, ever the Marine, started our day off with a rousing "Drop your D*#%s and grab your picks... it's 0530, time to climb." We straggled from bed, and had Skibabeage not brewed a extra strong pot of coffee, there would have been violence.

The ice looks sweet... deep blue, plastic, and thicker than the morning coffee. Half of us are in clinics today, the other half are just here to climb. Tonight is the pizza-and-beer buffet: All you can eat and drink for $10.

Skibabeage, sadly, is not able to climb today. She's still recovering from exhaustion, and once she gets her energy, she's got cleaning and housekeeping to do. Maybe once she's done, we'll let her climb.

Tradkelly, inventive as ever, has decided to run a hose from the kitchen sink to the balcony and create a MI4 route, including dry-tooling on the pine logs of the balcony.

Speaking of drytooling, redpointron has not left the downstairs bedroom. He's from Indiana, and has never seen such ice and mountains before. I think he's scared.

The beer is tasty, the company is great, and the scenery can't be beat.

Gotta run: Off to a clinic w/ Jack Tackle at 0800.

skibabeage
Deleted

Jan 16, 2004, 2:13 PM
Post #710 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post

deleted
Deleted

Jan 16, 2004, 2:25 PM
Post #711 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

shee-it, martha ...

iff'n ya' do it right, fifteen seconds is all it takes. i call it my "shock & awe campaign". 8)

shorty

Jan 16, 2004, 3:11 PM
Post #712 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Beige, I think I'll paint the ceiling beige........ :lol:
For the unenlightened viewers, the whole joke:

What's the difference between a nymphomaniac, a hooker, and a housewife?
The nympho asks, "Is that all?"
The hooker states, "That's all."
The housewife says (in a bored tone, with head tilted back), "Beige, I think I'll paint the ceiling beige."

Ice on, skibs.

shorty

Jan 16, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #713 of 740 (24411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
shee-it, martha ...

iff'n ya' do it right, fifteen seconds is all it takes. i call it my "shock & awe campaign". 8)
Pfffftt. "Shock & awe" should be reserved for something big, powerful, impressive, and, well, manly. Like a barrage from a battery of 105's. Like carpet bombing from a wing of B-52's. Like the masses of Gore-tex clad climber dude / dudettes madly swing picks at Colorado ice.

Not like a single, annoying mosquito buzzing about the room in the night.

But Geo, you're probably right. For a guy of your advanced years and station in life, fifteen seconds is doing pretty darn good! :roll:

tradkelly

Jan 17, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #714 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

The first pictures from the Ice Festival are in! You'll have to wait for more when everyone gets home and gets them posted, but here are the first night and day.

http://www.geocities.com/tradkelly2/01Ouray.jpg
Geo shows us his stuff, just one more time for the night, after the 'whole thing' with Skibby.

http://www.geocities.com/tradkelly2/02Ouray.jpg
Breakfast at Casa RC.C. Notice the men eating and drinking coffee. Notice the kitchen occupation. (Not that this means anything.)

http://www.geocities.com/tradkelly2/03Ouray.jpg
Look at the cool stuff we found in the garage (Skibby picked the lock to the owner's space, hoping we could find someplace cool to put the kegs overnight).

http://www.geocities.com/tradkelly2/04Ouray.jpg
Geo belays Jasona up a 4+ traversing line just under the Lower Bridge, risking the fifty-foot pendulum. Very cool line.

http://www.geocities.com/tradkelly2/05Ouray.jpg
Sean carefully moves up the chandelier on one of the more interesting routes of the day, in South Park.

http://www.geocities.com/tradkelly2/06Ouray.jpg
Sean on a mixed contrivation at the New Funteer.

redpointron

Jan 17, 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #715 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Skibabeage, sadly, is not able to climb today. She's still recovering from exhaustion, and once she gets her energy, she's got cleaning and housekeeping to do. Maybe once she's done, we'll let her climb.

Skibby did get out today. She tore up a 4/5. I've got a photo to prove it. I will post it when I get back to elev. 700. She is still swooning over Jack Tackle. He's not all that.

r.r.

deleted
Deleted

Jan 17, 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #716 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

shorty --

[size=24:867056c4c8][b:867056c4c8]BITE ME.[/b:867056c4c8][/size:867056c4c8]

deleted
Deleted

Jan 17, 2004, 1:09 PM
Post #717 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

okay ... here's the roster of rc.commers now present:

skibby
mtngeo
reno
sharpie
elvislegs
jasona
tradkelly
redpointron
sandbag
flamer
alpinerocket
phatbastard
thelawgoddess
and, our token civilian, tim.

it's another beautiful day in ouray, colorado ... where the ice is cold, the chicks are hot, and if you're not out the door at the crack of dawn, you might as well stay in the condo and polish your short tool all day.

tradkelly

Jan 17, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #718 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

No one dares post anymore. It's just too wild. Last night's pizza and beer potluck dinner at the Community Center (with the exception of the annoying guy with the microphone) was unreal; Reno warming up the Sex Machine, unlimited beer from New Belgium, and gear deals - the $8 harnesses and 5-for-$16 daisies - almost made us not notice all of the hot ice climbing chicks running around everywhere (but most especially in the kitchen, oh boy, yum).

It got better when we got back to the über-pad afterwards; we're not allowed by the TOS to post the pictures here, unfortunately. Our moderator-in-residence tells us so. Or she might just be trying to protect herself and her reputation. Hard to say.

Another day now, and the hard-core group was out the door before sun-up this morning. Us, we have three or four more days of this ahead of us, so we're taking it a bit more slowly. The rave tonight might make things interesting for tomorrow morning as well. Time to go find some ICE!

reno

Jan 18, 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #719 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Day two: Again, the ice is so sweet... most of the lines are thicker than my ex-girlfriend's thighs, and the weather can't be better... sun, soft breeze, and clear skies.

Woke up this morning at 0530, brewed the coffee, and cooked up two dozen scrambled eggs for everyone. We set off to the park, and set up the ropes. Iamthelawgoddess "warmed up" on a wicked sick WI4+ line, and did it with style. Next to us, alpinerocket and phatbastard did another cool line of WI4.

Made it to the clinic in time, and had the pleasure of learning from Johnny Copp about transitions from ice to alpine routes. Good class, lots of good info, and even roped up w/ Johnny. Cool stuff.

Walked back to the commons area, grabbed a quick bowl of chili, and dropped into a WI4+ line (see tradkelly's picture above) and it was cool. That was my 6th line of the day, and I was roasted. Walked back to the condo, and here I sit.

Tonight it's the Dinner and Fashion show at the community center (proceeds benefit the Ouray Volunteer Fire Department,) with all you can drink New Belgium beers for $10.

See ya tomorrow, everyone.

thelawgoddess

Jan 18, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #720 of 740 (24426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

transition from ice to alpine? it's been the other way around for me ... and boy do i love this ice! breakfast was awesome this morning, even if i did have to get up at 4:15 to make it there on time. :wink: it was really cool to meet a bunch of you and climb with some of you in the south park. i can't tell you how much i really didn't want to go back to telluride and work this evening. :cry: don't get too drunk tonight. well, actually, get as drunk as you can and send me pictures! :lol: i hope i get to see you all again some time! :)

deleted
Deleted

Jan 18, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #721 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

well, the kids are all at the fashion show, drinking beer and bidding on cool stuff.

the ice was good today, and i only took two bloody shots to the face. a good thing, too, since my grill can't possibly look any worse.

after being stopped by the umpteenth person to say, "geo, how are you?" martha remarked that, "we're walking around with a celebrity." but the truth is, the ice climbing community is so small, that you're bound to make a bunch of friends along the way. if you live in an area where there is ice climbing -- and you haven't yet tried it -- you should really give it a spin. you'll be hooked. and if you're an ice climber and have never been to the ouray ice festival, mark your calendar for next year's event.

finally, climbing chicks rock ... but ice climbing chicks rock especially hard.

deleted
Deleted

Jan 18, 2004, 2:19 AM
Post #722 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

oh, i might also add that martha's pretty much ready to have jack tackle's children ... or at least go for a dry run.

"has anyone seen jack?"

"jack's mustache is so cool."

"what would jack do?"

kee-rist, she's swooning around the ice park babbling and drooling like ronald reagan on creamed spinach day at the home.

kcrag

Jan 18, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #723 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i just had to torture myself and read this thread!

hugs and kisses to all. wish i was there climbing ice with you..
(bring me some stickers, please !!! :) )

-kelly.

jeffers_mz

Jan 18, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #724 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

You and me both, Kelly.

"Beige, I think I'll paint the ceiling beige........ "

Sounds like it could use some stars and comets to liven it up a bit. Course it takes a good long while to get them right.

Keep the pix coming, more ice, more of Kelly and his toys, more of everything.

BTW, by definition, anyone in Ouray right now instead of stuck at home, sucks...

shorty

Jan 18, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #725 of 740 (24425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
oh, i might also add that martha's pretty much ready to have jack tackle's children ... or at least go for a dry run.

"has anyone seen jack?"
In all honesty, she doesn't know jack....

First page Previous page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook