RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

jophus

Jan 26, 2004, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Best Indoor Climbing????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm from Illinois and i climb at Climb-on in Homewood on a regular basis. I've been to Upper Limits and i think that is the best here in Illinois. i want to travel to climb this spring and summer to different indoor gyms. help me out as to where to go. what's the best gym you go to or been to?

ericfrommichigan

Jan 26, 2004, 5:27 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Indoor Climbing???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a thought or suggestion, if your going to "Road Trip" it, I would say any where OUTSIDE (i.e. not a climbing Gym). Yeah some gyms are better then others, but are they really worth traveling for? Your from Illinois so if you are actually set on traveling for climbing In-Doors, on plastic as opposed to real rock, I am sure there are a few good gyms in New Paltz (avoid the Gunks though) and some more in south-east California (avoid J-Tree and Yosemite though) after all, you don't want to get dirty, hot, or bit by any bugs.

adampaiva

Jan 26, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh man, this post is just asking for trouble on this site...

the_crawler

Jan 26, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

troll!

jpearl

Jan 26, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey jophus, don't take flaming troll crap from anyone! Sounds like an awesome idea for a climbing trip and I totally think you should do it.

If you plan to come to New York City, then check out www.climbnyc.com for info on all of NYCs many climbing gyms. Chelsea has the biggest and most pricy, Manhattan Health Plaza is the coolest looking with a great overhang roof, and the City Climbers Club (CCC) 59th street gym, while being the smallest and least expensive, has the friendliest climbers and the most creative routes. In fact, the CCC gym is always the easiest place to find a belay partner if you show up alone. And if you need some fresh air, there's always bouldering in Central Park as well.

Good luck on your trip, I look forward to the trip report.

reborne

Jan 26, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok ill bite :twisted: its been a while since i posted on here anyway ......

this would be, the biggest waste of your entire life, if your going to take a climbing trip take a climbing trip ..... going to a strange gym and putting up with gymrats attitudes should be reserved for rainouts and business trips, it is a necessary evil sometimes but im sayin there are rocks outside .... ya heard!

what would stop you from going on an outdoor trip? list the reasons so we can tell you why there stupid or how to get around them

jophus

Jan 26, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i plan on climbing outside this year as well. my friend brian and i are talking about going to tennesse and georgia to climb. he's been bouldering outdoors and he loves it. sleeping on the climbing premises, waking up to a boulder that is just asking to be climbed. i'm new to climbing and i'm just asking for suggestions as to where some good indoor spots would be. Flame if you want, i climb for myself. whether it be indoors or outside. i will compete indoors and outside as well. it's MY personal goal to get better for myself, not to be better then you.

powpierre

Jan 26, 2004, 6:42 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the best indoor climbing head to California. A state that is blessed with some of the best rock and weather also has some great gyms. Hanger 18, rockreation in the south are two I liked and try out all the touchstone gyms there are 5 or 6 so a 10 punch pass is the way to go there. Berkeley and Mission are the flagships but they also have a bouldering gym in San Jose and good gyms in sacramento and Concord. In other states The Front in Salt lake city and there are plenty of gyms in Boulder Colorado too. Great gyms where there is great rock go figure. You can also tell people you are going to climb in Cali, Utah and Colorado just leave out the gym part.

At one point in time I was helping out friends working on a business plan to open a gym in the east and traveled to several gyms to scope out differences and "steal" ideas it was actually interesting to see why some gyms work and others don't.

reborne

Jan 26, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeh go to little rock city if your going to tennesse to boulder i hear nothing but people raving about it ... im not flaming i understand were your coming from if you havnt climbed much outside ..... but believe me your passion for climbing will grow once you get out there and if you take this trip before you do you will only regret it hit your most local spot a few times before you head out any were it will help

scubasnyder

Jan 26, 2004, 6:49 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like out side and cliffhangers gym n readying has some fake real rock its pretty nice best place ive been so far

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook