RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

olympicmtnboy

Jan 26, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Windshirts? Wildthings Epic or ??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking about getting a new windshirt / ultralight shell for packing around on questionable weather days, alpine climbs, etc. I've got a gore-tex xcr hardshell that I bring, but it's overkill 99% of the time. Sometimes I carry a plain nylon windbreaker, but it doesn't shed water as all. I'm not really interested in a softshell, I just want a really light (less than 10 oz maybe) shell that will block the wind and shed light rain and snow, and pack really small. It must have a hood too.
There are a bunch of windshirts out there, although some of them seem a little too ultralight (ie: patagonia dragonfly). I'd like to avoid DWR based things so I've been looking at Epic fabric stuff like the Wildthings hooded wind jacket (8 oz), and I think Feathered Friends makes one too. Has anyone had experience with these. Does the Wildthings shirt have any vents? How does it breathe when you're moving? Is there another wind proof water resistant light jacket you carry all the time? Suggestions?
http://www.wildthingsgear.com/windshirt.html

brianthew

Jan 26, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Re: Windshirts? Wildthings Epic or ?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Marmot DriClime windshirt. It's very, very light and breathable, and is very good for all sorts of activities. It's wind-proof, and pretty water-resistant. The fabric, some say, is too fragile, but I've rock climbed and ice climbed countless days in it and there has not been a single tear or abrasion on the fabric. It's 10oz on the nose, as I recall.

It's about $90-100 (I think, that's about what I paid for mine) and one of the best investments I've made. By far, my favorite layer.

drkodos

Jan 26, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nike uses the same technology as all those mentioned and costs about $30- 40.

I have a Marmot Dryclime Windshirt. Overrated, and overpriced. Don't spend the booty for the name. It tears far too easily (the Nike uses ripstop!).

bostonclimbah

Jan 26, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Wildthings EP insulated jacket. It's the same material as the wind shirt but has 1.5 oz of prima loft. Epic is way more breathable than gtex and very water resistant. I would imagine the wind shirt will have the same properties.

Technically, you won't actually get wet from the rain it's self. Pressure on the other hand will force some water through (i.e. sitting on a wet rock or the area under your pack straps etc.)

If it means anything, most of the guides around here use WT's stuff pretty religiously.

orangekyak

Jan 26, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a WT epic set last spring (on sale when they changed the colors).

I had to return the windshirt because it ran smaller than I had hoped - I usually wear a small in REI, EMS stuff. The WT I needed a med. and they were all out (of the sale stuff).

But I've kept the pants and found the epic to be as solid and lightweight as advertised. Like all ultralight gear, the caveat is the durability. I wouldn't count on it if I had to squirm up an offwidth or chimney. I kinda wish they'd come out with a windshirt that had reinforced elbows and shoulders, like the GoLite reach jacket, but epic.

And it definitely means something that a lot of the guides wear WT clothes - it means that WT offers some of the best pro-deals to the local guides :)

mike_ok

Jan 26, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a Marmot DriClime windshirt. It's very, very light and breathable, and is very good for all sorts of activities. It's wind-proof, and pretty water-resistant. The fabric, some say, is too fragile, but I've rock climbed and ice climbed countless days in it and there has not been a single tear or abrasion on the fabric. It's 10oz on the nose, as I recall.

It's about $90-100 (I think, that's about what I paid for mine) and one of the best investments I've made. By far, my favorite layer.

I also have the Marmot DC Windshirt and love it... however, I personally wouldn't pay $100 for it. REI had them on sale in the bargain room for $38 bucks a month ago. They only had 2 in there and I'm sure were simply removing last years clothing. Anyway, worth checking out. Say what you will against REI, but I've picked up fantastic deals in the bargain room.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook