Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sidewaysmaster

Dec 11, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #26 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Re: Helmets or waivers: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jeez! There are entirely too many safety Nazis in climbing these days. I have been climbing for 30 years and I have never worn, nor ever will wear, a helmut to go rock climbing. If you think it is your job to make me wear one, get out of climbing because you don't belong here. Now leave me alone!

agilbert

Dec 28, 2003, 5:14 PM
Post #27 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here in Portland, Maine we are lucky to be without helmets - just waivers. One of the reasons I started climbing was for the laid back, easy-going lifestyle, none of this safety obsessed stuff so apparent in the rest of the country.

curt

Dec 28, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #28 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Re: Helmets or waivers: WTF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well folks, its ok for folks (or should I say fools) that want to play with danger and choose not to wear a helmet when leading climbs (as some gyms allow) or not as long as getting hurt does not effect anyone else but them (is that ever true though). But at a gym, the owner sticks his neck out every time you climb at his gym, and if you get hurt then his head rolls. Don't get me wrong, I like to climb without having to wear a helmet but safety is important to me so I wear one when there is any risk of getting a head injury. Head injuries are bad and if you are participating in a sport that can cause head injuries and you could have avoided one by wearing a helmet then why is it some folks (excuss me fools) wish to expose themselves to that added risk? Oh I forgot, helmets are just so expensive. Grow up people!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha. Stop, yer killin me. HAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahaha. Oh, Jesus that's funny. Hahahahaha.. good one. hehe.

Curt

litleclimberchick

Jan 6, 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #29 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sign the waiver, our overprotective culture has penetrated the gyms.

sandbag

Jan 6, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #30 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, it's how America works. Don't include the rest of the world please. Most everywhere else, a person can, amongst other things, show up at a climbing gym and start climbing without signing anything at all.

+A

Werd to yo Mutha Fern, Im glad a person from outside the non-reality based environment here in the USA spoke out. Its sad, to think that the Insurance companies have been plagued by irresponsible people and their lawyers for things that were usually their fault in the first place. I sign the waviers, and refuse to where a helmet unless its to protect my melon from falling debris, thats the only thing they were really designed for inthe first place. my 2 cents anyway....

sandbag

Jan 6, 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #31 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and another thing:
" If it would only save but one life isnt it worth it?"
Not for all the tea in China, the gold in the mountians, nor even to bring back the friends of mine that have died doing what they loved. Their families never even considered suing anybody.
We live in a country that is disdainful to personal responsibilty and expects someone else to always shoulder the blame. its kind of embarassing at times. :oops:

flagstaff_climber

Jan 6, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #32 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I walked into a gym and saw everyone wearing a helmet my first reaction would be to laugh my a() off, my second would be to walk out still laughing of course.

All of you people making statements like ‘you SHOULD’ wear a helmet and ‘helmets WILL save your life’ need to take a break and maybe some recreational pharmaceuticals.

Helmets are great, I wear one most of the time but it is not my responsibility to MAKE everyone else wear one. It is a personal choice as is climbing itself and the reality is that when one realistically looks at the broad spectrum of possible injuries/deaths available to a climber wearing a helmet will only offer protection or mitigation in a VERY few cases.

All of you people preaching SAFETY at all cost are really starting to sound a lot like the folks going door to door selling salvation.

The only thing that will offer a really appreciable return on investment as far as safety goes is a good partner and knowledge. Everything else is just nibbling at the edges.

Rick

lightandfast

Jan 27, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #33 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$30,000 dollar machine eh,

Oh right, they hang an S.U.V. from the top with a winch on it.

scubasnyder

Jan 27, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #34 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats stupid next they will make us wear elbow pads and knee pads.

sixter

Jan 27, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #35 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, it's how America works. Don't include the rest of the world please. Most everywhere else, a person can, amongst other things, show up at a climbing gym and start climbing without signing anything at all.

+A

Sadly it is true. At the Nurenburgring in Germany you drive up to the race course, pay your money, and they send you out on a lap of the long course, no waiver. You are expected to take responsibility for your actions. If more people would nut up and take responsibility for their actions, there would be a lot fewer social ills in this great land of ours.

mistymountainhop

Jan 27, 2004, 4:16 AM
Post #36 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a climbing instructor/ supervisor at my schools climbing wall i am supposed to enforce the mandatory helmet rule. we have a small bouldering wall under the staircase, its pretty cool, except its totally protected by a huge mat that covers all directions. a mandatory helmet is a bit bogus, so i usually turn my head at the more experienced climbers, which are very few.

climberjo

Jan 27, 2004, 4:56 AM
Post #37 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

waivers sure thing, gyms need them to protect themselves kinda.

but helmets nnnooo way, how will it help at all. A helmet is for protection from any falling object from above may it be rocks or gear or maybe a big lead fall but in the gym you have nether of those issues to worry about so theres no need

Partner trguy

Jan 28, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #38 of 38 (3116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We do not currently have a helmet policy at our gym but I can see things heading in that direction. Renewing our insurance this year was much more complicated than it ever has been. Oddly while the "Climb Smart" posters are required to be in all climbing areas, helmets are not mandatory. Yet.

You might be surprised what can happen in a gym climberjo. Holds break and fall from the routes (even new holds). While it rarely happens, a climbers take 20ft falls at our gym due to their negligence or their belayers. These days it will only takes (1) injury regardless how negligent the climber (or belayer) and the gym has a long road of ahead of them.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook