RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

reprieve

Jan 30, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1298 views)
Shortcut

Related to the "gf/wife/SO climber thread"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well here's a question for you guys (and gals):

I have been seriously climbing for about 4 months, although I am totally hooked. I am at the gym for a couple hours a day, 6 days a week, and I try to get out on the weekends when I can. I have already invested in some gear, and I imagine I'm going to be climbing for a long time, if not indefinitely.

Anyway, I have been with my girlfriend for over 3 years. We have an incredibly strong relationship, and are planning on getting married in the distant future. She has expressed casual interest in going climbing with me sometime. She's not overweight at all, but she could in no way be considered athletic.

So my question is this: should I take her climbing? Since the time she expressed interest, she hasn't actually asked to go with me. Should I push this, and try to get her to give it a try? What do you think, would we be happier as two climbers or as a climber and non-climber?

Thx for the input.

bnjohns

Jan 30, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Re: Related to the "gf/wife/SO climber thread" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd wait until she asks again, just to be sure she's serious. It's no fun to be doing something you really love if there's someone present who really doesn't want to be there. I learned this lesson when I hauled friends with me to Bob Dylan concerts once or twice. Now I just go alone.

But if she's serious about it, why not take her along? Even if she's not too athletic, maybe that's just because nothing has struck her fancy yet. Maybe climbing is just the thing...

jkarns

Jan 30, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If she brings it back up, definately take her along!!! If you continue to climbing with the regularity that you are currently climbing at, you will have significantly less time to spend with her. If she's psyched to join in the fun, then your life partner just became your climbing partner. Congrats!! Wait till she's ready, and let her move at her own pace. Be supportive but not overbearing. She will enjoy climbing more if she discovers it for herself.

On another note, TAKE SOME REST DAYS!! Six days a week in the gym is a recipe for injury.

climbhigh2005

Jan 30, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has she been with you and watched you climb? I agree not to push it... My bf and I stated climbing at the same time... i had climbed before, and thought it would be fun, so we decided to go, and ever sicne we've been hooked... I'd just wait until she asked to go...

keazah

Jan 30, 2004, 6:35 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like climbing with my boyfriend... heck... I like climbing! :wink:

More to the point I think she should give it a go... there's nothing to loose but a little time that you will spend with her, probably showing her that you'd like to share your interests with her...

And let's say it doesn't work out well... she's not going to dump you just because she can't climb is she??

By the way... check this pic out... http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=24787

This guy IS overweight and yet he is climbing 5.11s and he is the creator of several bolted routes in la Huasteca... So I say she should give it a go...

mtman

Jan 30, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what's not to loose next time you go just casually ask do you want to go with me? and if she says no, then just wait until she has some interests. if climbing is becoming a big part of your life it will be only a matter of time until she wants to come and at least watch.

my GF climbed before i met her, but my brother's (also a climber) GF never climbed before and one day when he was going climbing he just asked her if she wanted to come and she did and had a great time. one other thing don't expect her to come with you every time at first just make sure that it is fun for her and eventually you will be doing big walls together.

reprieve

Jan 30, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, she has been to see me climb before, and I think that was probably what sparked her interest. We also have a long-distance relationship, about 3 hours apart, but she lives in my home town so I get to see her during breaks. Thanks for all the input, I'll probably just ask her whenever I'm home and go climbing and no big deal if she doesn't want to.

BTW: I can't stop going to the gym! It's like an addiciton. My day feels so empty if I don't climb. I do take it easy though, especially if my arms start to hurt.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook