RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

the_alpine

Feb 10, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #1 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Warning for all Slackliners!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When walking a highline, MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the slackline end of your tether uses smoooooth 'biners. By smooth I mean check the interior of the biner (namely the top of the gate/hood) and make sure there are no sharp edges. My friend was using an autolocking Omega Jake, fell, and split the line. The tubular webbing was fileted lengthwise and turned into flat webbing.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 10, 2004, 6:54 AM
Post #2 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Re: Warning for all Slackliners!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When walking a highline, MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the slackline end of your tether uses smoooooth 'biners. By smooth I mean check the interior of the biner (namely the top of the gate/hood) and make sure there are no sharp edges. My friend was using an autolocking Omega Jake, fell, and split the line. The tubular webbing was fileted lengthwise and turned into flat webbing.

Woah, crazy! It didn't break though? Just split? :shock:

the_alpine

Feb 10, 2004, 6:56 AM
Post #3 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly. The line did not break. The rough inside edge of the 'biner ripped open the webbing. Lots of fraying and a no-longer tubular line, but still held the fall. Didnt try anymore falls after that though.

overlord

Feb 10, 2004, 11:15 AM
Post #4 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: :shock: :shock:

its quite easy to imagine of you take into account the force needed to keep the line taunt.

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 10, 2004, 1:53 PM
Post #5 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Highlines are supposed to be made from 3 seperate lines taped together for tripple redundancey... If this was not being done, then your friend is luck he did not fall victim to "darwinism".

stuck

Feb 10, 2004, 2:38 PM
Post #6 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What would you advise as the best option?

I remember ammon saying a while back that threading severl rap rings over the line for your attachment was the best option.

nicklikesfire

Feb 10, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #7 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Highlines are supposed to be made from 3 seperate lines taped together for tripple redundancey... If this was not being done, then your friend is luck he did not fall victim to "darwinism".

how exactly, do you do this? just get 3 seperate peices of webbing, and tape them together, one on top of the other? do they have seperate anchors as well?

the_alpine

Feb 10, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The line was 1 inch threaded with 11/16 inside. Everything was redundant. Just thought I would post what happened.

japhyr

Feb 10, 2004, 8:56 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad your friend was all right. That's a scary day.

madturtle

Feb 10, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #10 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

how exactly, do you do this? just get 3 seperate peices of webbing, and tape them together, one on top of the other? do they have seperate anchors as well?

The way I understand it yes you use seperate anchors for each piece of webbing. the top strand is the one you actually walk on and is fully tightened, the two below it are progessively looser so that if the one above it goes the the other two are not already stretched to their max. Unlike regular climbing gear that has a huge safety factor slacklines are basically pushing the gear to it's actual limits far beyond what it is really designed for.

I'm not trying to knock your buddy or anything but I don't think that threading a 2nd piece of webbing inside a larger piece will create a looser, redundant saftey line.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 11, 2004, 1:48 AM
Post #11 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a thing online somewhere where the line had a piece of 1 inch with another smaller line thread through, and then another line taped to the bottom of that. Seems safe.

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 11, 2004, 5:25 AM
Post #12 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I saw a thing online somewhere where the line had a piece of 1 inch with another smaller line thread through, and then another line taped to the bottom of that. Seems safe.

From my playing around with threaded line I found that thinner line inside 1" tubular recieved different tensioning than the 1". Maybe it was just the mix that I had, really stretchy 1" and very tight weave 5/8" but the inner line was actually tighter than my 1" webbing was due to the different stretch rates. When I tried the same thing with a different type of 1" tubular, and different type of 3/4" tubular nylon the 1" seemed to be tighter.

While I think threaded line does offer some redundancy, still feel a bit more confident in one or two extra 1" tubular lines each using a different anchor for redundancy and differing tension with it either connected using rap rings or tape to keep it all joined together.

Then again, I don't highline enough for my opinion to be worth much either, so that is strictly my observations.

batguano

Feb 16, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #13 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's a crazy story for sure alpine. i wonder if it was the notch in the gate or the locking mechanism that caught the line. so it split the entire length? pure speculation here: i wonder if the threaded line precipitated/added to the split factor? when web gets pulled tight, the edges get pretty sharp. seems like if the biner started a small hole, the thinner line could bust/cut it's way through. just a thought.

somewhere along the way i found this great aluminum rap ring. it is of a rolled construction like the normal rap rings, but this one is like 1/2" stock, with a 1.5" center hole. it has much beef. i've also got a new figure 8 descender that i plan on using for this. seems like it would be fine. it's beefy, it's smooth, there's no gate to cross-load and it's got seperate holes for the leash and the lines.
(there could be an element of cross-loading the grain structure in a machined 8. should still be pretty strong though. if any of them are cast then it wouldn't be an issue. i'll do a little more research here and see what i can find.)

stuck

Feb 17, 2004, 4:51 AM
Post #14 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.barry.ca/...ccessories/Rings.htm

Batguano, check out that website. It has steel rigging rings that might be useful for highlining. Plus, that website has tons of other cool circus stuff. Check it out.

dirko

Feb 17, 2004, 6:26 AM
Post #15 of 15 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tip, Alpine.

As for the rest of it, anchors, backups, and such, I really think that highlines need to be learned in person. I'm torn, because the net is a great forum for people to compare different line setups they are using among other things. However, during my travels in the past year I have talked to alot of people who planned to setup highlines that I couldn't call safe.

Please be smart, people.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook