RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

dt

Feb 10, 2004, 6:42 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

REI Mistral and Cloudveil Serendipity
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

They're both made of Schoeller Dryskin Extreme. I was wondering if there any real difference between the two?

Thanks!

crotch

Feb 10, 2004, 6:58 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Re: REI Mistral and Cloudveil Serendipity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They're both made of Schoeller Dryskin Extreme. I was wondering if there any real difference between the two?

Thanks!

One of the manufacturers has soul.

Partner taualum23

Feb 10, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #3 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Without getting into the REI has no soul argument, the Mistral is a much lighter jacket from what I can tell. The serendipity is meant for winter sports, whereas the mistral is meant as a spring soft-shell.

e_wire

Feb 10, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Even if the Cloudveil is warmer, it breathes very well and lets perspiration out quite well in warmer conditions. Love mine for sure...

e_wire

Partner taualum23

Feb 10, 2004, 7:59 PM
Post #5 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely. I didn't mean to say that the Cloudveil isn't a superb jacket. I had the opportunity to wear one on a warmish afternoon earlier this winter, and until I warmed up, it really kicked ass. I did get a bit too warm, but I was really pushing myself at the time. For a lighter spring jacket, I would prefer a slightly lighter jacket, that's all.

strongerthanyesterday

Feb 10, 2004, 8:17 PM
Post #6 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the mistral is unlined. the warmth would come from what you wear underneath. i wear mine snowshoeing (which is actually pretty aerobic) and underneath I wear a powerdry shirt designed for nordic stuff. For climbing I have a stretch microfleece I can wear over my powerdry and under the shell. I've also thrown a thick fleece on over the top for belaying. so, you need to decide whether you want an insulated or an uninsulated jacket. I'm not familiar with the serendipity but I'm assuming that since you said its warm that its lined. soft shells are awesome. I want to get a lined jacket and pants. I'm glad i have the mistral and it is versatile for me, but it would be less of a hassle if in cold weather I could just throw on my thermals and pants and jacket instead of fussing with a bunch of layers. for spring and summer you could also get something without a full front zipper like the mtn. hardwear transition tee. it retails around 120 but i know the women's (and possibly the men's) is on sale at rei-outlet.com for sixty.

dsafanda

Feb 10, 2004, 8:21 PM
Post #7 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cloudveil Serendipity: Favorite piece of clothing I own.

msiddens

Feb 10, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #8 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own the Serendipity and I LOVE it. Before I bought it though I did a fair amount of research (as usual:-) on many softies. Apples to apples I though the Mistral fit me a bit less streamlined and more general in nature whereas the Serendipity fits more athletic and fits VERY well at that.

Also...I know they are made of the same material yet the Cloudveil feels heavier (read more burly) though they both weight a little over a pound. Lastly...my personal experience with REI gear is it tends to fall apart. Now in their defense they stand WAY behind their gear so they will fix or likely replace it if it should die early. Oh yeah..did I mentioned that Cloudveil kicks ass?

dt

Feb 10, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #9 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Up to what temperatures is the Serendipity comfortable? It's advertised as a 4-season jacket, but I guess people are saying it gets a bit warm.

rei_belay_bitch

Feb 11, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #10 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am only familiar with the REI Mistral since I have owned one for over a year. I am not familiar with the Cloudveil jacket. I love my Mistral. However I would not use it in real cold winter conditions. However this jacket is definately suitable for snowshoeing or XC skiing in mild winter conditions provided you properly layer. I like the athletic cut of the Mistral as opposed to say the REI One jacket (another softshell jacket, but a bit on the heavier side).

vegastradguy

Feb 11, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Seredipity actually doesnt have a fleece lining in it. It's pretty cozy down to the high to mid 40's for me before I start wanting a long sleeve on underneath it.

of course, once i start moving i warm up VERY quickly...and usually abandon it unless its below about 40 out. below 40, its perfect with a light long sleeve on underneath.

The Serendipity has a very tight weave. They do have a soft shell with a lining and a hood called the Ice Floe...which is for more alpine environments than the Serendipity.

For the desert winters, though..the cloudveil rocks.

youmeanupthere

Feb 12, 2004, 4:23 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know REI is the Walmart of outdoor equipment, but soulless. It is true that you might not be able to get expert opinions from most of their sales people but who's the fool there. As for their soul, REI contributes quite a bit of money and sponsorship and support to a lot of good programs. Calling them soulless is just being uppity.
Back to the topic.
The Serendipity is probably better quality but without checking the prices I would imagine it is more money. I personally prefer unlined schoeller stuff simply because it makes layering a little easier. Consider when and where you will be using it. I can use an unlined piece in most conditions by simply wearing different layers underneath.

dirtineye

Feb 12, 2004, 6:39 PM
Post #13 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my cloudveil. I have the non-fleece lined jacket (looks just like the lined one to me), and when it is cold enough I put on a sweater.

mike_ok

Feb 12, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #14 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone want to compare to the Marmot ATV or Quantum?

sandbag

Feb 12, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #15 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its funny when you REI bashers pick a point of contention with them and then forget to fully research and follow through the full, complete argument to its finality. Schoeller Dynamic ( that mystery fabric that your jackets are made of) is produced and trademarked by the beheamouth 3M, which is hardly an environmentally sound company (read 3M =Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Co.) and you have the unmitigated gaul to accuse REI of having no soul. Its sad that you cant see the big picture, whats sadder yet is that however big the Cloudveil company gets, they will find a way to cut costs,ie off shore maunfacturing(hopefully not but most probable, as did northface, marmot, et al...) and finally the saddest part still is that you dont even realize the balance in the world economy and the success of some companies isnt due to raping and pillaging, but may be due to the shear fact that they do good business, provide good products and allow sports like rock climbing and skiing, etc thrive because of the boost that they provide.
im still not an employee, and will continue to engage in these discourses for all morons willing to bash big business with perceived impunity.
whew...rant over, time for ice cream cake....

dt

Feb 12, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #16 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy, do you mean get rid of the cloudveil when you start moving at under 40 degrees, or you get rid of the long sleeve?

youmeanupthere, when you say you prefer unlined schoeller, are you talking about the mistral?

i guess my general question is: up to what temperature do you wear the cloudveil as opposed to the mistral?

vegastradguy

Feb 13, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #17 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, the cloudveil is unlined (its got a soft weave inside, but no lining).

under 40 degrees, once i start moving, i generally will just unzip the cloudveil, but i wont take it off. i will also generally leave the long sleeve on. if i remove anything, it'd be the jacket, only because if it gets cold or windy, i can quickly put it back on as opposed to messing with a shirt. it breathes well, so just unzipping it usually takes care of excess heat.

over 40 is when i usually stash it in the pack if i'm really active.

dt

Mar 12, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #18 of 18 (2621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I got the jacket in a medium through the mail, although the length of the jacket it is fine, the collar is really wide and the sleeves are a bit long.

How snug are you supposed to wear these jackets?

I got a medium because I expected to want to layer underneath it, but it seems like if I get a small I wouldn't really have the ability to.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook