Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

stereoguru

Feb 12, 2004, 7:03 AM
Post #1 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Shoes for wide feet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm new to the sport and I need some help to source some decent climbing shoes for my wide feet (US 8.5 EE ). I been to some retailers (a couple of chains and one specialty) but I have not gotten any decent help. Is their anyone who are in the climbing retail industry that really know their stuff who can help me?

I like an all around shoe that I can primary use for gym, bouldering, TR and eventually moderate level sport climbs. Price range - no more than $120 US.

climber49er

Feb 12, 2004, 7:36 AM
Post #2 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shoes for wide feet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
5.10's run wider....
shoes will stretch lots, any shoe will eventually become all day comfie no matter how myserable they are at first.

BWAAA - HAAAA - HAAAAA!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously this poor person has not worn anasazi velcros for any length of time. Miserable they started, miserable they have stayed! I doubt they have stretched a half a size in over 6 months.

zeus

Feb 12, 2004, 7:51 AM
Post #3 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wide feet?

--> la sportiva "Cliff" !!!!

Definitely the widest shoe i know about!
In fact it's a beginners shoe, but very good for allround use and very comfy!!!! Will widen about half a number...

here's the link:
http://www.sportiva.com/products/climbing/cliff.html

regards!

tahquitztwo

Feb 12, 2004, 8:41 AM
Post #4 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't give up.....see if you can still find the Boreals, can't remember the exact style name :roll: but they were a blue color....fairly wide.
The la Sportive Cliff is also another good one and there is a new one out we just recently got in where I work....the Montrail Cruiser. It's an interesting shoe design but definitely wider than most....and was designed for a comfortable fit for all day climbing by guides so it has a wide range of usability.

fit any shoe so that your toes are right up against the inside front toe part and just starting to "curl"....make sure that when you have the shoe reasonably snugged up on your foot that you still have enough space at the laces to continue to snug as it stretches......and most shoes will stretch from 1/2 to a full size (unless they're Anasazi Velcros :D ).

tradmike

Feb 12, 2004, 1:32 PM
Post #5 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have an 8.5 EE foot. I have been climbing for fourteen years now and have tried many different shoes. The best shoe I have come across for wide feet is the La Sportiva Mega. It is comfortable out of the box. I couldn't find it in any store so I ordered direct from La Sportiva. I ordered three pair. One in a size I thought would fit and a half size above and below. Then I returned the two that didn't fit. I love them so much that I now have two pair so when one is being resoled I have the other.

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 12, 2004, 7:41 PM
Post #6 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear a 10E but I found that a la sportiva mythos - while troublesome/painful at first stretched out to a perfect fit after two weeks. They stretch a lot, so you might add those to your list to consider. They are a tad more expensive than some of the others listed though, but they are a great shoe for most types of climbing from what I gather.

They are the only shoe I've owned so I can't compare to others though.

petro

Feb 12, 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #7 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have fairly wide feet, and found that almost anything that Boreal makes fits really well.

Zen's are my favorite for sport/gym/bouldering, but use my old fashioned Aces for all my trad.

climber49er

Feb 12, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #8 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
5.10's run wider....
shoes will stretch lots, any shoe will eventually become all day comfie no matter how myserable they are at first.

BWAAA - HAAAA - HAAAAA!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously this poor person has not worn anasazi velcros for any length of time. Miserable they started, miserable they have stayed! I doubt they have stretched a half a size in over 6 months.

Actually I have 4 pairs of anasazi velcros, and your right, the sythetic cowdura outer, full lining, and lots of rand won't really strech to much in the life of a poorly crafted shoe, which is maybe 2 resoles. I would recommend trying them if you have a big foot though, but don't pay no 140 for them .
Please don't insult me, your not being nice, and I don't appreciate it.

You seem to miss the point. No insults were intended. I am making a statement about Anasazis, not you. Which you, by the way, agreed with. I rightly assumed you could not have worn anasazis because of this statement, "any shoe will eventually become all day comfie". If your anasazis are all day comfie they are way too big! :lol:

crazyscuba

Feb 12, 2004, 8:46 PM
Post #9 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't give up.....see if you can still find the Boreals, can't remember the exact style name :roll: but they were a blue color....fairly wide.
The la Sportive Cliff is also another good one and there is a new one out we just recently got in where I work....the Montrail Cruiser. It's an interesting shoe design but definitely wider than most....and was designed for a comfortable fit for all day climbing by guides so it has a wide range of usability.

fit any shoe so that your toes are right up against the inside front toe part and just starting to "curl"....make sure that when you have the shoe reasonably snugged up on your foot that you still have enough space at the laces to continue to snug as it stretches......and most shoes will stretch from 1/2 to a full size (unless they're Anasazi Velcros :D ).

pretty much any boreals but the one he is talking about is the pyros. a freind of mine has em and they are just made duck feet!!

utahwiregate

Feb 12, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #10 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Boreal Ninja

I have duckfeet and I use em. They work great, last a long time, and are pretty inexpensive. The only real trouble I have noticed is with heel hooks (feels sloppy for my wide feet, but then again mine may be a tad too big) and crack climbing (no ankle pro, one good bang--big ouchie on the distal ends of your tibia/fibula).

Other than that, they are pretty tasty. Mine haven't delammed with good solid use, & my feet perform pretty good overall w/ them. I would suggest them as they have been a good economy shoe. Take the price difference and buy a pair of used 5.10 Spires too.

Just MHO.

-Gate

geezergecko

Feb 12, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #11 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would recommend 5.10 X-Ray. For my wide feet, I've tried Boreal Zen and Boreal Ace. Both were okay but the 5.10 X-Rays were the best *wide* fit.

sundevil

Feb 12, 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #12 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have enjoyed the preformance of two shoes for my stinkin' wide feet. First, I have tried on every 5.10 shoe I could find without success. The shoes that worked best for my feet were the La Sportiva Cliffs and the Boreal Zens. I have found both shoes to be very comfortable for my feet.

piedradura

Feb 13, 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #13 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
5.10's run wider. European shoes like Sportiva's will typically be narrower.
shoes will strech lots, any shoe will eventually become all day comfie no matter how myserable they are at first. Make sure they are not to small, myserably or functionally to narrow. Make sure there small enough that your toes touch the front of the shoe. There is a brand out of Salt Lake that custom makes shoes from a drawing of your foot that is slightly out of your price range. There are so many manufactures out there now you will find somwthing.

:twisted: climbing shoes dont strech, you get used to them! :wink:

caughtinside

Feb 13, 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #14 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd give the Moccasyms a try. They conform to your foot like nothing else.

charley

Feb 13, 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #15 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have read

vertical_fever

Feb 14, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #16 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have very wide feet also. In fact I have a difficult time finding street shoes that fit let alone climbing shoes. I bought LaSportiva Cliffs. I managed to get a size smaller than my street shoe and also liked the laces as opposed to velcro. I can really fine tune the fit. Just my $.02.

Good luck! :D

reprieve

Feb 14, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #17 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have pretty wide feet.

I have owned Cobras and Testarossas (both by Sportiva) and neither of them gave me a problem when it came to width.

mrme

Feb 14, 2004, 1:32 AM
Post #18 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have somewhat wide feet. i wear a pair of lasportiva miarias (spelling is probably a little off) you know the green shoes and love them. if you shop around you should be able to finde a pair on sale for around 120 or cheaper. i have heard boreal makes some wider shoes i don't know about them never have found somewhere to try any on.

mrme

Feb 14, 2004, 1:34 AM
Post #19 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have pretty wide feet.

I have owned Cobras and Testarossas (both by Sportiva) and neither of them gave me a problem when it came to width.

i must have wider feet then you because i blew the elastic out from the leather on a pair of cobras in less time than it took to wear the sole out.

mrme

Feb 14, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #20 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have very wide feet also. In fact I have a difficult time finding street shoes that fit let alone climbing shoes. I bought LaSportiva Cliffs. I managed to get a size smaller than my street shoe and also liked the laces as opposed to velcro. I can really fine tune the fit. Just my $.02.

Good luck! :D

i owned a pair of cliffs too they are nice shoes arnt they.

dynamicpanda

Feb 14, 2004, 2:24 AM
Post #21 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you buy the smallest pair of 5.10 moccasyms that you can fit your feet into, then they will eventually stretch to fit your foot. The fit is great, but the more they stretch, the less they edge. 5.10 is also really good about giving resoles. With a shoe that will wear out as fast as the moccasym, this a good thing. They are resoling mine for free right now because in my opinion, they wore out way too damn quick.

chinkimchow

Feb 14, 2004, 2:39 AM
Post #22 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is 5.10 wear off easliy?how much it cost to resole, in $US?

mishu

Feb 14, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #23 of 27 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49571&highlight=

oudinardin

Feb 14, 2004, 5:43 AM
Post #24 of 27 (3195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoe threads. :shock: We need more of them. I have strange sized feet. I've had a pair of SCARPA Ski boots fitted for my feet. I could sleep in them. Same thing with rock shoes. Some companies will go out of there way to help. Scarpa and its counterparts are one of them and they rule! You guys are crazy apesh!t over these 5.10's. Open your eyes. I know a few places in NC that would help your fat feet problem. PM me, or not. Could care less. When can we get past this shoe fetish crap, fockers?

mishu

Feb 17, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #25 of 27 (3195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started the same thread about 2 weeks ago. Do a search for posts in my name: I got great help from some these guys. (Sorry I don't know how to link directly to the forum post - I started it as "W I D E shoes" if it helps).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook