First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

d-money
Deleted

Feb 18, 2004, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

high schol student looking for some views about the sport
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, I'm a highschol student and I'm doing my senior project on climbing, more specifically the culture and people. If you wouldn't mind posting some of your philosophies and view points about why you climb and what you like about the sport, it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks a lot.

maculated

Feb 18, 2004, 2:33 AM
Post #2 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Re: high schol student looking for some views about the spor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm actually doing a grad student paper about the same topic. Don't use random quotes from RC.com, get some books. There's great ones out there.

wildduck

Feb 18, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #3 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why i climb ? Why i love the sport ?

I guess it's the passion to climb. I just feel very motivated to go out doors and climb something. If i make it up there sucessfully, everyone knows it's the best feeling in the world, having done something difficult and challenging by yourself with your own free will because you love it.

If you love it, Do it. It feels great.

+ it's a great stress buster too.

chadmartin

Feb 18, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #4 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a climber! That's who I was born to be, that is who I will always be! It is more than a sport, it is a way of life, and effects everything you do! Sometimes, it requires great sacrifice, but as I am still learning, Climbing is not a part of life, life is a part of climbing!

Also as I am learning, even if your family doesn't like it, it is a part of you, and it is part of what makes you who you are! Don't deny yourself of who you are because you can't give yourself totally to someone else if you do! Keep climbing, and keep loving those closest to you!

rngrchad

Feb 18, 2004, 3:32 AM
Post #5 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like Maculated said, get some books, the libraries are loaded with them.

But for what its worth here's why and how I got into climbing.
My first experience with the thought was a solo trip out West. I was living in the bed of my Toyota for 3 weeks during a roadtrip(not long to some but pleny long enough for me) just romping around sliding my transfercase in and out of 4wheel drive, and stopping at easy approaches to mountains and hiking around and trying to set up camp at the highest possible altitude I could get to(ended up being only 9500ft). Keep in mind I'm a flatlander from the mid-west but this did not keep me from wanting to go higher. I just wasn't satisifed with "just" hiking. I would always have to turn around because the mountains were just too gnarly. I had no idea that people actually could climb them...I came to find out later that a magazine(Rock&Ice) exsisted. This mag put it all into perspective. I realized with the right skills, and proper gear one could safely ascend into once thought un-touchable terrain. At first I had no idea I was captivated by mountains but the first summer morning I opened my tent to find a light dusting of snow, frost, and crisp air...it hit me. I love the mountains, literally. From then on everything I now do is in hope that someday, somehow I may have an intimate relationship with something so menacing, and grande...that something is a mountain.
First, it was my love for mountains that initiated my start to climbing. To me climbing was just another way to experience the mountains which I yearned to have a greater relationship with...now I catch myself climbing in the midwest on a top-rope at a 40 ft face just imagining I'm on some big wall in the northwest. Climbing to me is the best way to mentally transform myself from one area to another and it works! Since I've started top-roping my itchy feet have become more stable, and now I am just taking my time enjoying the days here in the midwest all knowing that sometime in the near future I will make my move and when I do it will be all the much sweeter. To put it candidly, I guess I climb because it is a way for me to escape the flatness of the midwest, I climb not to impress others but to push my mind into imagination of being somewhere else for just a moment. And the longer I climb the more I come up with reasons I climb. Each time I go out the slight vertical reveals another wonderful reason to grab-hold and pull, and recently with my introduction to trad and some ice I now also climb because I love how a heaping rack of biners and nuts look hanging from my gear-sling. Being outdoors is something special, being outdoors and climbing is something some people will never understand. To me I do it to lose myself in the moment...the moment when I can imagine I'm on an alpine approach into some great land of mountains that we lack here in flatland. I've also recently found that the few climbing partners I've found....are truly unique people. People unlike I have ever met in other aspects of life. Climbing has now shown me that there are other people out there with a love, and deep respect for what the natural, weather ridden world offers us outside the bounds of traditional work and school. It feels so wholesome to know others that are as excited about being outside as I myself am. I'm sorry...I suppose this doesn't help your highschool paper any but these are a few reasons I started climbing....I didn't mean to get off on such a speal...hope it helps.
:?

d-money
Deleted

Feb 18, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #6 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's awsome, thanks for the insight. Do you mind if i quote you in my paper???

rngrchad

Feb 18, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #7 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No I don't mind.

rngrchad

Feb 18, 2004, 3:52 AM
Post #8 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

D-money, post when you get your grade. Let us know how your paper goes. The teacher will think you nuts for being a climber but I'm sure your used to that stereotypical judgement. Good Luck!

sbclimber

Feb 18, 2004, 3:54 AM
Post #9 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because I am addicted...

It's like pringles...once you pop you just can't stop.

d-money
Deleted

Feb 18, 2004, 4:03 AM
Post #10 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i understand the addiction, believe me, but how would you describe it to soemone who isn't a climber such as us? I'm goofy with words and would really like to get the p.o.v. of other rock fools such as myself.

by the way, i saw some of your pics.... gnarly

deleted
Deleted

Feb 18, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #11 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This sounds like a C- in the making... good luck.

sbclimber

Feb 18, 2004, 4:20 AM
Post #12 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i understand the addiction, believe me, but how would you describe it to soemone who isn't a climber such as us?
by the way, i saw some of your pics.... gnarly

I guess I would have to say, people may not understand from first hand experience, but they understand what drugs can do to a person. They can make people blow all their money away, find excuses for doing more and for not quitting, and, the more you do it, the less important other aspects of life become, aspects that should be focused on, such as money for food, rent, relationships, etc. (I'm not speaking from personal experience here, but a close friend)

This is how climbing is to me. When I get my paycheck, I know I have to pay rent, eat, travel with that money, but it is soooo hard to leave work (REI) without blowing all my money on gear. I alos frequently procrastinate on school assignments as well as other things to go climbing. It is a full blown addiction. I honestly go through withdrawls if I haven't climbed for a while (a couple of days).

And I don't see myself recovering anytime soon...or ever.

I don't know how much of that makes sense, but to me, it makes perfect sense.

sbclimber

Feb 18, 2004, 4:27 AM
Post #13 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This sounds like a C- in the making... good luck.

and you sound like a very cantankerous individual.

delarig

Feb 18, 2004, 4:38 AM
Post #14 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because it challenges me on so many differant levels. The most obvious would be physically; I have constantly gotten stonger and stronger ever since I started climbing. It's really fun to observe the physical changes in your body and to feel that strength transfer into everything else you do in your life. The mental side also involves many differant aspects. There is the fear of dying and the fear of getting injured that you MUST overcome in order to perform your best. In doing that you have made the decision that your progression in climbing takes priority over your safety and you HAVE to accept the possibilty of death. The psysical strain is also very mentally challenging. You have to give it everything you have to give. It has definately become an obsession in my life and is my addiction. I really like the following quote: "Take risks not to escape from life, but to keep life from escaping."

scubasnyder

Feb 18, 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #15 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing is just the best thing to do lets face it.

chadmartin

Feb 18, 2004, 4:43 AM
Post #16 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, maybe we should start a group for climbing adicts, we will call it the C. A. The A. A. Can move over! Hey man, research all you can! Try talk to people like Jamie Clarke, Dave Rodney, Guy Cotter, and Ed Viesturs! Jamie and Dave are both in Calgary and not too hard to get ahold of through E-Mail, but people who have done famous ascents would probably offer good insights!

bouldrinsoill

Feb 18, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #17 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, maybe we should start a group for climbing adicts, we will call it the C. A. The A. A. Can move over! Hey man, research all you can! Try talk to people like Jamie Clarke, Dave Rodney, Guy Cotter, and Ed Viesturs! Jamie and Dave are both in Calgary and not too hard to get ahold of through E-Mail, but people who have done famous ascents would probably offer good insights!

one problem with that idea.... nobody wants to get over this addiction.... Even if the "C.A." group wasnt about getting over this addiction, why would we spend our time talking about being addicted, we could be climbing yo. Sorry about this semi-serious responce to the hopefully sarcastic post above.

Phillip

drkodos

Feb 18, 2004, 4:56 AM
Post #18 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I vehemently disagree with the get-some-books appraoch. That works fine if you want to do an historical perspective, but true reserach is all about doing something yourself, not just re-synthesizing what others have already pioneered.

Taken from an anthropological perspective, the sky is limitless in what one could research in the climbing culture.

Come up with a unique perspective to work on and follow up with your own reserach and analysis.

There is nothing wrong with doing reserach based solely on the sub-culture of climbing websites. A socio-anthropologist would have wet dream with the possibilities from this site alone.

Preytell what book would you look to for that seminal piece of work? It has yet to be created.

I am about to embark on some work myself in this field. It will not involve looking in books and citing John Long stories about Tobin Sorensen, for great as that stuff is, it has been done. Countlessly.

Instead, I am going on the road interviewing, climbing, filming and the like. Book will inevitably be a part of the larger picture, but until I know what questions to ask, I wouldn't begin to know where to look for the answers.

moss1956

Feb 18, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #19 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 48 years old.

Climbing beats the hell out of a red sports car. Its a lot easier on my marriage than an affair.

When I am climbing my mind is blank except for the task at hand. When I got done with a day of leading climbs, I am completely relaxed and I feel euphoric. It feels good to be outdoors, the rock is pleasing to the touch.

I get to see more wildlife, more cool plants, and learn more about nature than if I was at the target range, or home depot, or staining the deck.

Its better than sitting around eating chips, and watching sitcoms.

Climbing on family vacations is better than riding elevators to the top of tall buildings, eating in snotty resturaunts, riding around the bay in a big boat, or waiting in line for space mountain.

Climbing brings me together with my 15 year old son and lets me get to know all sorts of neat people that I would otherwise have nothing in common with.

:lol:

bouldrinsoill

Feb 18, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #20 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is nothing wrong with doing reserach based solely on the sub-culture of climbing websites. A socio-anthropologist would have wet dream with the possibilities from this site alone.

yeah, agreed. You said you wanna do this thing on climbing culture, well thats what every person on this site is a part of. We are the climbing culture. I would think this site would be a valuble resource to you.

Phillip

d-money
Deleted

Feb 18, 2004, 8:45 PM
Post #21 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think this site is great for research.. thas why im posting this. hers a follow up question that might relate more to my paper. Im thining about narrowing the topic down to disbanding(to an extent) the wide beleife that all rock climbers are adrenaline junkies and only do it for the thrills. While i know this is true to an extent, i think that it has more to to with the simplicity of it. That feeling of total relaxation you get after a hard climb, and how you isolate yourself form everythign else around you but the rock. IF anyone has anyhtign to add to this, or take awway even, sned a post. im totally open to what you all think.

thanks

andy_reagan

Feb 18, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #22 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually I'm in a heated inner struggle against both my tendons and pulleys. Climbing is just a by-product of this quest to utterly destroy both.

litleclimberchick

Feb 18, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #23 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing is addicting, even if i wanted to [which] i could not stop. it is the only thing that keeps me sane between my AP classes, SAT's, volunteer work, friends, and family. sometimes life is extremely overwhelming and climbing is an awesome escape. it gives me time to focus on me and not worry about everything else i have going on in my life. besides, it keeps me healthy and always provides interesting experiences. tons of fun...the keyword is "interesting." :D

gregtrammell

Feb 18, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #24 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The teacher will think you nuts for being a climber but I'm sure your used to that stereotypical judgement.

F*ckin moron is the comment I usually here when people find out that I rock climb.

It's usually "You climb?"

"Yeah"

"That's pretty dangerous, are you a f*cking moron or something?"

It always makes me laugh.
I usually respond with "yeah or something".

mandrake

Feb 19, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #25 of 50 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why we climb? Sort of a hard thing to put in writing when put on the spot, I think it's better to glean it out of someone's climbing story. Check out the Trip Reports on this website as a starting point.

Ricardo's TR on his Zodiac Solo comes immediately to mind, but there are tons of others which describe the intensity, the fear, the ...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook