Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

graysondamondamian

Feb 23, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #1 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Photo Bombing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks for "rate bombing" some of my photos. yall know who you are. reeeal cool. :roll:

biff

Feb 23, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #2 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Re: Photo Bombing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem wasn't really people bombing them, it was that somone voted 10 initally, then other people who think that your photo doesn't deserve a 10, overcompensate. So when the rating gets recalculated there are all the people that voted 2's to try and get it off the first page of results that add up and the photo gets bombed.

I am trying to think of a way to avoid this, but it seems hopless.

b_fost

Feb 23, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #3 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i saw some of them on the front page as 10s this morning, and no offense, but they were not close to 10s. i cant vote on pictures (since i dont have any up) so it wasnt me.

graysondamondamian

Feb 23, 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #4 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no offense taken, must've been "rate boosted" as well and then retaliated against. oh well, i just know they arent 3's either :roll:

lightandfast

Feb 23, 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #5 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[violet]thanks for "rate bombing" some of my photos. yall know who you are. reeeal cool[/violet]
We should be saying thanks. No offence

graysondamondamian

Feb 23, 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #6 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[violet]thanks for "rate bombing" some of my photos. yall know who you are. reeeal cool[/violet]
We should be saying thanks. No offence

i understand exactly what you are sayin....wait a minute, i have no idea what you just said. :roll:

roughster

Feb 23, 2004, 7:45 AM
Post #7 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster moved this thread from General to Climbing Photography.

popol

Feb 27, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #8 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well.. first the suspicious 10's, then the bombing... who has to be blamed most? :cry:

All together, new variation of the old theme: bombing, boosting. Don't bother, man.

cjstudent

Feb 27, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #9 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was kinda wondering too...some of my photos went from 6 or 7 down to 4 something...and these were old pictures that didn't have the 10's rating. i don't care i just was wondering who would go around and just throw low ratings.

crotch

Feb 27, 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #10 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i was kinda wondering too...some of my photos went from 6 or 7 down to 4 something...and these were old pictures that didn't have the 10's rating. i don't care i just was wondering who would go around and just throw low ratings.

Which of your photos rated 4 do you think should be higher? All of the ones rated 4 are either butt-shots, or if from above, it's the top of someone's dome. If 5 is average (middle) then for every 7 there must be a 3, right?

jt512

Feb 27, 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #11 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The problem wasn't really people bombing them, it was that somone voted 10 initally, then other people who think that your photo doesn't deserve a 10, overcompensate. So when the rating gets recalculated there are all the people that voted 2's to try and get it off the first page of results that add up and the photo gets bombed.

Get rid of the lag time, and update the mean rating immediately. The lag was implemented to discourage hate bombing, but as I predicted it would, it apparently has backfired, giving time for more users to try to "correct" a rating that they think is too high. When the updated rating is finally posted, it is even lower than it would have been had there been no lag time.

-Jay

graysondamondamian

Feb 27, 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #12 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^ ditto that

dsafanda

Feb 27, 2004, 1:13 AM
Post #13 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The lag was implemented to discourage hate bombing, but as I predicted it would, it apparently has backfired, giving time for more users to try to "correct" a rating that they think is too high.

I agree that this feature accomplishes nothing and tends to backfire, but I think we're probably kidding ourselves to think that there is a perfect system. People vote as they do for all sorts of strange reasons and I suspect that will continue with or with out that particular feature.

Jay, you recently stated that you voted a 9 on a photo simply because you didn't understand the comments that had been made regarding the photo. For whatever reason...human nature I guess...people seem to have a difficult time voting based on their own impression.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=25591

jt512

Feb 27, 2004, 1:16 AM
Post #14 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The lag was implemented to discourage hate bombing, but as I predicted it would, it apparently has backfired, giving time for more users to try to "correct" a rating that they think is too high.

I agree that this feature accomplishes nothing and tends to backfire, but I think we're probably kidding ourselves to think that there is a perfect system.

There is no perfect system, I agree, but one way to counteract malicious voting is statistically down-weight outlying votes, as I've suggested doing.

In reply to:
Jay, you recently stated that you voted a 9 on a photo simply because you didn't understand the comments that had been made regarding the photo.

The comment was a joke. The vote was sincere.

-Jay

dsafanda

Feb 27, 2004, 1:22 AM
Post #15 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's not the first time I've been dense enough to miss the joke. Sorry about that.

Back to the subject:
In reply to:
well, i just know they aren't 3's either

The whole idea of voting is that the photographer doesn't get to decide how they should be ranked. You're inviting opinions that might be positive or negative. If you're absolutely convinced that you're photos deserve a specific rank why bother letting people vote on them? You probably should avoid clicking the check box next to "allow voting"

jt512

Feb 27, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #16 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, it's not the first time I've been dense enough to miss the joke. Sorry about that.

Sometimes my sense of humor is a little, um, unique.

-Jay

Partner coldclimb

Feb 27, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #17 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Get rid of the lag time, and update the mean rating immediately. The lag was implemented to discourage hate bombing, but as I predicted it would, it apparently has backfired, giving time for more users to try to "correct" a rating that they think is too high. When the updated rating is finally posted, it is even lower than it would have been had there been no lag time.

-Jay

I'm with Jay here.

biff

Feb 27, 2004, 2:29 AM
Post #18 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There alredy is a weighted outliers algorithm , but it is weighted either 0 or 1 .. there is no semi-weighting .. maybe I could look into that and see if it helps, but right now I don't see the need. The system works alot better than it did before, and seems to work good enough.

As for the delayed recalculation, It does serve a purpose, and it works well. Here is what used to happen
A good photo would recieve a 10
Some jackass would see the 10 and say .. ha I'll bomb that one, give it a 1, and the photo was gone into the middle pages forever.

Now, the jackass can give it a 1, but it will not take effect untill the next day, so everyone else can give it their honest opinion. And the photo stands a chance at staying.

I monitored votes before and after the delay was implemented, and noticed a significant decrease in the number of bombing votes, for me that is proof enough that it works.

jt512

Feb 27, 2004, 2:46 AM
Post #19 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There alredy is a weighted outliers algorithm , but it is weighted either 0 or 1 .. there is no semi-weighting .. maybe I could look into that and see if it helps, but right now I don't see the need. The system works alot better than it did before, and seems to work good enough.

As for the delayed recalculation, It does serve a purpose, and it works well. Here is what used to happen
A good photo would recieve a 10
Some jackass would see the 10 and say .. ha I'll bomb that one, give it a 1, and the photo was gone into the middle pages forever.

Now, the jackass can give it a 1, but it will not take effect untill the next day, so everyone else can give it their honest opinion. And the photo stands a chance at staying.

I monitored votes before and after the delay was implemented, and noticed a significant decrease in the number of bombing votes, for me that is proof enough that it works.

I would be less convinced based on a single day's sample, but what you are saying makes sense. If most people are voting honestly, then outliers have less effect. Also, if one jackass can pull the rating down from a 10 to a 5.5, then there might be room for improving the way outliers are handled. If the current mean rating is 10, then perhaps 0 should be considered an outlier, even though there is only one vote comprising the mean. Just a thought. You might need separate small-sample and large-sample downweighing algorithms.

-Jay

Partner xcel360

Feb 27, 2004, 3:34 AM
Post #20 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

My question is that if one jacka** can give it a photo a 1 just to downgrade it. then can't several other people who see it as a 10 for the day, not realizing it has already been downgraded by one jacka**, also do the same thing and extremely downgrade it? I understand there's no real good solution here that'll please everybody, but I was just wondering about that, is all. The system seems to work alright.

<=glen=>

biff

Feb 27, 2004, 2:18 PM
Post #21 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My question is that if one jacka** can give it a photo a 1 just to downgrade it. then can't several other people who see it as a 10 for the day, not realizing it has already been downgraded

Yes, That is possible, and it does happen. The Idea behind voting is that people should vote what they feel the photo deserves. But often people vote to try and get the photo to the ranking they feel it deserves, or vote low because they don't like the user who submitted the photograph, or vote high becuase the submitter is their friend.

When I vote I try to not let the previous rank effect my opinion. Sometimes when I feel that a photo is between 2 values (eg. 7.5) I will vote an 8 if I know the photo is ranked low, or a 7 if I know it is voted high. Usually I use the Random Photo page and have no clue what the photo rank is before I vote.

jt512

Feb 27, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #22 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
My question is that if one jacka** can give it a photo a 1 just to downgrade it. then can't several other people who see it as a 10 for the day, not realizing it has already been downgraded

Yes, That is possible, and it does happen. The Idea behind voting is that people should vote what they feel the photo deserves. But often people vote to try and get the photo to the ranking they feel it deserves, or vote low because they don't like the user who submitted the photograph, or vote high becuase the submitter is their friend.

When I vote I try to not let the previous rank effect my opinion. Sometimes when I feel that a photo is between 2 values (eg. 7.5) I will vote an 8 if I know the photo is ranked low, or a 7 if I know it is voted high. Usually I use the Random Photo page and have no clue what the photo rank is before I vote.

Aggggggggggh. It's "rating," not "ranking."

-Jay

biff

Feb 27, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #23 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would be less convinced based on a single day's sample, but what you are saying makes sense.
I took samples for over a week, and still every once in a while I check to see the trends in votes. Actually many of the top ranked photos have 0 or 1 bomb votes.

In reply to:
Also, if one jackass can pull the rating down from a 10 to a 5.5, then there might be room for improving the way outliers are handled. If the current mean rating is 10, then perhaps 0 should be considered an outlier, even though there is only one vote comprising the mean. Just a thought. You might need separate small-sample and large-sample downweighing algorithms.

I totally agree .. here is how it works now

if there is less than 3 votes with weight 1 (i.e. there are 2 votes that the algorigthm considers honest) the rating is the average of all the votes cast. There should be a more elegant way of handeling that situation, but the solutions I have thought of don't improve it, but here they are anyways .. let me know what you think.

1) always use the filtered result. In some cases this would mean that there is the chance that a photo with many (Probably less than 4) votes would end up with a rating of 0.

2) consider all votes above the average. This biases the decision .. assuming that the high votes were honest, and not Booster votes.

3) Count the number of votes below an above the average, and only count the votes in the group with the majority (and possibly include votes from the minority within 2 of the average) The problem is that most of the time there are only 2 votes on the photo in this situation, and then neither side has a majority.

Really it comes down to this .. when there are 2 votes on opposite sides of the spectrum .. how do you decide which is honest?

One solution that I thought of was to give photos in this situation a higher probablility to be picked by the random photos page so that the photos would collect more votes, and the problem solved. So the solution isn't fixing the algorithm .. just give it more data to work with.

biff

Feb 27, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #24 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Aggggggggggh. It's "rating," not "ranking."

Crap. sorry, replace rank with rating in my posts .. damnit I think I even discussed the difference in a topic about 4 monts ago .. sorry about that.

nagatana

Feb 27, 2004, 5:03 PM
Post #25 of 78 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How 'bout allowing users to vote, but not showing the rating for the first 36-48 hours so that people won't be so easily influenced by their peers' votes?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook