Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dangermonkey

Feb 25, 2004, 6:20 AM
Post #26 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ethical Dilemma [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

$210.00 is a bit of coin to have spent on a top rope set up. I assume that this is your only cord? I doubt any significant damage has been done, unless it was abraided or caught over an edge... Could you have offered to set up their rope on the route? I might have moved to protect such a hefty investment. You seem to be utterly concerned about the whole situation.

Climb safe,
Late,
CF

Partner pianomahnn

Feb 25, 2004, 7:18 AM
Post #27 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To begin with, it should be common knowlegde that it is courtesy not to fall on other peolpes ropes.

If they're not supposed to fall on the rope, then they shouldn't climb a route they will fall on, and they shouldn't need a rope because they won't fall.

A rope is there to catch the fall. A fall is allright. Flailing isn't.

dirko

Feb 25, 2004, 8:29 AM
Post #28 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK dude U R way anal. But I 2 would be pist at the world had I paid $210 for a rope. Jesus.

kyhangdog

Feb 25, 2004, 9:14 AM
Post #29 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wasn't top-roping; they were. I don't mind shelling out coin for a good rope, and I was trying to be neighborly by letting them jump on. Their gear was good or I wouldn't have consented. Too many assholes in the world today. I come from another era where allowing someone to catch a quick ride wasn't a big deal. Didn't know the guy was going to flail all over a ten.

tanslacks

Feb 25, 2004, 1:58 PM
Post #30 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I AM THE TROLL YOU SPEAK OF. I was hiding in the woods when my little minions asked you share your line. I have soloed that route 50 times... barefoot. But, I decided to thrash about for you entertainment. There is something so inviting about a 210 dollar rope being offered up as a toperope. I could not resist. "Sorry" :twisted: We Trolls have no decency.

meant as humor :wink:

reprieve

Feb 25, 2004, 2:23 PM
Post #31 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I had just paid 200 bucks for a new rope I wouldn't let anybody on it unless they were going to be VERY nice to it.

kyhangdog

Feb 25, 2004, 2:44 PM
Post #32 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I rely on people to have the same views that I do when it comes to climbing. I never thought the guy was going to "work" the route the way he did. He was on it for about twenty minutes with his cohorts yelling at him to lower; he refused quite rudely. He repeatedly took the same fall over and over again. In the future I'll do the same thing if they seem like nice people; that's just the way I am. The rope isn't damaged, but I do feel like it was bad form for him to repeatedly whip on a rope that was not his, and then cuss and scream like a little bitch when he couldn't pull the move. What's ok for one may not be o.k. for all when it comes to gear; that's cool. But, next time if I encounter the same situation, I will ask him to politely lower and maybe take a break. I will then jump back on the route, clean it, and remove myself from the situation.

ipsofacto

Feb 25, 2004, 4:52 PM
Post #33 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

findingit

Feb 25, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #34 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my oppinion it was ethically wrong for that person to bounce for that length of time. But giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they are fairly new to climbing and ignorant to the fact that repeated falls and hanging on a top rope (especially a dynamic cord) is damaging. Looking past abrasion which is most obvious if it exists, you have to consider the fact that a particular section of your rope was stretched to the max and never had a chance to regain it's shelf state before it was fallen on again. This is damaging to a rope, no question. The damage is minimal, but overall that has decreased the life of your rope to some degree. Next time take your static cord for the TR and save your $210 precious for your leads in the rain (I'm hoping it's dry treated for that amount of cash).

Don't be afraid to tell them to get off the rope next time....then educate them before you leave. If they're a--holes, thell them to eat s---, and get outta there before jabba gets hungry.

later

good luck.

mrme

Feb 28, 2004, 4:18 AM
Post #35 of 35 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haven't you ever heard the saying assume the best expect the worst...it sounds like your just selfish...oh you can use are rope! do you minde if i can climb on yours?....cool well i am done now, so hurry up and get of my rope. sounds kinda selfish to me.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook