RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

zonedeadly

Feb 26, 2004, 5:15 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3639 views)
Shortcut

Aqua Shoes????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
I'm new to wall climbing and my instructor informed our group that we could go out and purchase aqua socks to use as shoes. I'm wondering if this is a good idea. As well I saw that it was suggested for children :? and was just wondering if I would get laughed out of the joint showing up in aqua socks. The only place to climb where I live is the gym, unfortunately as I live in the prairies. Any help would be super.

powderhound

Feb 26, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Re: Aqua Shoes???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are a begginer then you want a shoe that is kinda stiff because your feet are not that strong. I don't beleive aqua shoes would provide the stiffness you need. Also as far as edging goes probaly not the best either. But others may have a differnt opion.

biff

Feb 26, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #3 of 9 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed a 5.9 slaby route in Aqua socks once .. it was really scarry, you never konw when the shoe is going to give out.

You would probably be laughed at the gym with aqua socks. I use them for raping long routes (more than 3 pitches) and walking arourd the crag.
They are nice becasuse you can usually fit one shoe inside the other, so they are really easy to attach to your harness, or hawl in your rope bag.

squish

Feb 26, 2004, 6:15 AM
Post #4 of 9 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, you'd get real funny looks for sure.

That's not to say that the aqua socks wouldn't be adequate for some basic stuff. Especially in the gym, they're really all you need for the easier routes. And if you've got 'em and you just want to check out the scene without committing to buying all the equipment just yet, why not?

Of course, if you're going to go out and buy a pair, consider spending your money on the real thing...

Gyms don't generally have any kind of footwear policy except: no street shoes, and no bare feet. This is for obvious reasons. You should be fine with the aqua socks, as long as they're clean. The staff will probably ask you.

Outside, it's a different story. You need surface friction for slabs, you need foot support for thin edges, and something with a little more protection for jamming cracks. Unless it's really easy stuff, aqua socks might not fit the bill here.

My 4-year old daughter climbs in aqua socks since nothing else fits her just yet. For little kids who don't put much weight on their feet anyway, aqua socks work just fine.

karlbaba

Feb 26, 2004, 6:22 AM
Post #5 of 9 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use aqua socks for approaching and hiking off multipitch climbs so I'm familiar with how they are with rock.

Real climbing shoes are way better but Aqua Socks would be the cheapest/best substitute for folks who aren't ready to commit to climbing shoes yet.

Peace

karl

darelparker

Feb 26, 2004, 6:43 AM
Post #6 of 9 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bouldered with a guy last week who told me he had once glued a 5.10 resole kit onto a pair of aquasocks for his son. I imagine that would stiffen them up and improve the stickiness quite a bit.

The following day, I watched two little girls, eight and ten, sending V0 in aquasocks. This seems to be a popular solution for kids since proper climbing shoes don't come cheap.

For an adult though, I offer a suggestion: Try some rentals until you find a pair that works, and then look for similar shoes on eBay. You can usually pick up a pair of climbing shoes in reasonable condition for $20.00 - $30.00, and sometimes even less.

Good luck.

climbersoze

Feb 26, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I use them for raping long routes

Spelling nazi steps in... I am bored, and I caught this so I figured I would point it out... of course my brain is fried so I cannot think of anything witty to say about it....

nuttin personal... just be careful if oyu decide to take up sport-raping :lol:

andy_reagan

Feb 26, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if youre climbing indoors just rent shoes until you're sure you like climbing enough to drop 70-100 bucks on shoes. Real rock shoes are definitely good.

The other option is to just climb in tennis shoes, climbing low grade stuff isnt that hard and doesnt require climbing specific shoes. I'll often boulder barefoot just because i'm too lazy to put on my shoes...

andy_reagan

Feb 26, 2004, 9:48 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if youre climbing indoors just rent shoes until you're sure you like climbing enough to drop 70-100 bucks on shoes. Real rock shoes are definitely good.

The other option is to just climb in tennis shoes, climbing low grade stuff isnt that hard and doesnt require climbing specific shoes. I'll often boulder barefoot just because i'm too lazy to put on my shoes...

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook