First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

slhappy

Mar 2, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #1 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Am I to fat to start climbing?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good day to all climbers out there. As someone new to the workd of rock climbing, I am having difficulty deciding if I should add climbing to my list of hobbies. I was hopping for some input from skinny climbers out there in order to make a more informed dicision on which way to go. If at all.
I love to climb. Always have. Taking my children to the park, while I see other parents sitting on their butts, I am unwrapping BigMacs, spreading mayo on a spam slice, etc. I am also an avid fonduer. (spent over $2,000 on my fondue set). Treats were my favorite thing to eat untill I went to a local climbing gym last year. Now I am hooked. Here is the problem.
I am almost 225 lbs. Reading numerous posts on this and other forums and checking profiles, I notice that most climbers out there posting are skinnier than I and alot of climbers have starved themselves since they were teens. I am wondering if I am too fat to begin this hobby. No one can make this decision for me butt your input will provide helpfull information. To climb or not to climb?
What I am asking is this. As climbers, knowing what you know, if you were as fat as me with no knowledge, skill or gear, would it be worth the climb?

bigwalling

Mar 2, 2004, 2:52 AM
Post #2 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Re: Am I to fat to start climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, the most I ever weighed was 215 and I still led up to 5.8. Now I weigh 160, so I had a a fair amout of FAT. Just climb if you like it. Maybe you can lose some weight too.

moss1956

Mar 2, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #3 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only you can say if it would be worth it. Give it a try, and report back. :)

nnichols

Mar 2, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #4 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, you are - go have several more Big Macs and a heart attack as a side order while all the "older, skinny" folks outclimb your fat a--.

drkodos

Mar 2, 2004, 2:59 AM
Post #5 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As climbers, knowing what you know, if you were as fat as me with no knowledge, skill or gear, would it be worth the climb?

Yes.

Similar to hiring the handicapped to perform tough physical tasks, having overweight people climb is a worthy cause for the entertainment value others will derive from it, in addition to providing the insecure amoung us a target for ridicule.

Extra poundage is very helpful on slab climbs. Shifting a Homer Simpson like belly over a slopey foothold adds extra bite, and help drives the rubber into the rock.

Chimneys become offwidth, offwidth becomes finger crack, finger cracks are tricky aid climbs.

It's all good.

vincent

Mar 2, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #6 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you're not too fat to start climbing but it sure sounds like you're too fat to finish...

HEHEHe i crack myself up

hippie_dreams

Mar 2, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #7 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm, this sounds an awful lot like the "Am I too old to start climbing?" thread.....

Wait, it's pretty much the same thing, just the words concerning age and switched with weight....It's like a play on words, WOW!

Must be one smart guy to pull something like this off...

johnfromohio

Mar 2, 2004, 3:19 AM
Post #8 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe i should start a thread about how i am to tall to start climbing

or maybe how i should avoid sitstarts because i am to tall

curt

Mar 2, 2004, 3:24 AM
Post #9 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Am I too fat to start climbing?
I'm afraid so. :lol:

Curt

slhappy

Mar 2, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #10 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well done (how i like my beef) hippie-dreams...you win the first round of hot dipped pork....swwweeell!!

the too old question was pathetic...if you got to ask you know the answer...just didn't want to post in that thread. :shock:

fourdeadpresidents

Mar 2, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #11 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is not a hobby it is a lifestyle everything you do has something to do whit it. I work so I can afford trips and gear. I work out and stretch to improve my climbing stamina. I eat healthy so I feel and look healthy helping me mentally and physically on the rock.
The fact that you even had to ask the ?? am I to fat to climb makes they answer is yes because you are not willing to lose weight in order to improve yourself and your climbing abilities.
By all means continue to climb but don’t pretend to be a climber.

scubasnyder

Mar 2, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #12 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing is awsome, it may even inspire you to lose weight.

petro

Mar 2, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #13 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OOOOOOOOhhhh... Look at the shiny lure...

I think I'll just have a little nibble...

What the.................

Tug Tug...

FISH ON!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAWWWW!!!

cgarrett

Mar 2, 2004, 4:12 AM
Post #14 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, you're not too fat to start. I was 240 when I started (at 6'2") and as others have said it became a lifestyle. I'm 196 this morning (a little over two years later) and having a great time.

Partner angry

Mar 2, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #15 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really love the guys who are answering you seriously. "naw, you're not too fat, if you like it you can do it" "change the way you eat, it'll come off" It's like the twilight zone for morons. I'd rather just argue about bolts but the "helpful" folks on this site do entertain me.

micahmcguire

Mar 2, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #16 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dunno about starving myself. the answer is no. you aren't too fat. while it sounds like you could use to lose a bit of weight, 225# is not that terribly heavy, and you certainly don't need to be discouraged by it. I suggest you hike alot along with the climbing. that seems to have worked for people I know, and its more aerobic than rock climbing. that and it sounds like you need to diet. good luck-only you can master your ass.

hoofers_andy

Mar 2, 2004, 4:21 AM
Post #17 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop eating until you die, then you can climb. What a question to ask, only you can decide if you are too lazy to put in the effort needed to enjoy climbing...

crgwh

Mar 2, 2004, 4:25 AM
Post #18 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't look fat in your photos. Then again a camera can lie. Taking into account the 17 routs added and 4 recorded climbs on your profile, I think you just wanted to steal my "to old to climb" post.
Ok, how old are you again?

wildduck

Mar 2, 2004, 4:32 AM
Post #19 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, This is stupidly dumb and a waste of friggin time.

Some climbers have nothin better to do in the winter eh ?

jhump

Mar 2, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #20 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the old Fatboys movies. They were pretty fat and still very athletic. Fat Albert also once lifted the entire scrap car heap to save Mushmouth. Chubby Checker could twist like a son of a gun. Just because you are cartoonishly fat does not mean you cant carry someones pack to the crag and provide full body highball spots. In the alpine realm, you can warm frostbitten feet between the swiss cake rolls. Don't let the calorie Nazis get you down. Climbing is for everyone. Tons of fun. I would call off the climbing when you break the 500 pound mark. I think a 500 pounder can get factor 2 like forces on a toprope. Know when to say when.

iamnotender

Mar 2, 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #21 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you're not too fat to start climbing but it sure sounds like you're too fat to finish...

HEHEHe i crack myself up

hahahahahaha that one gave me a good chuckle.

but seriously, if you want to climb a few times, go straight ahead. but if you want to be a CLIMBER and dedicate yourself, give up the big macs and the spam and the mayo. that just borders on disgusting.

jhump

Mar 2, 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #22 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One more thing, to save weight you should get the MSR light and fast fondue set. It won't be as cheap as your current clunker set, but when you are counting the kilograms for an extreme partybarge ascent of the cattle route, you will thank your lucky charms. One more thing, go with the Velveeta Light. Still melts better than cheddar, but it is "light," and light is right.

jt512

Mar 2, 2004, 4:43 AM
Post #23 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Good day to all climbers out there. As someone new to the workd of rock climbing, I am having difficulty deciding if I should add climbing to my list of hobbies. I was hopping for some input from skinny climbers out there in order to make a more informed dicision on which way to go. If at all.
I love to climb. Always have. Taking my children to the park, while I see other parents sitting on their butts, I am unwrapping BigMacs, spreading mayo on a spam slice, etc. I am also an avid fonduer. (spent over $2,000 on my fondue set). Treats were my favorite thing to eat untill I went to a local climbing gym last year. Now I am hooked. Here is the problem.
I am almost 225 lbs. Reading numerous posts on this and other forums and checking profiles, I notice that most climbers out there posting are skinnier than I and alot of climbers have starved themselves since they were teens. I am wondering if I am too fat to begin this hobby. No one can make this decision for me butt your input will provide helpfull information. To climb or not to climb?
What I am asking is this. As climbers, knowing what you know, if you were as fat as me with no knowledge, skill or gear, would it be worth the climb?

I know competent climbers who weigh as much as or more than you do. However, if you lose weight it will help your climbing (as it would theirs). When I got into climbing, it motivated me to lose weight. As you get into the sport, you might find that your desire to climb harder might outweigh (so-to-speak) your desire for fondue, or you might not.

-Jay

col_sanderz

Mar 2, 2004, 5:24 AM
Post #24 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OOOOOOOOhhhh... Look at the shiny lure...

I think I'll just have a little nibble...

What the.................

Tug Tug...

FISH ON!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAWWWW!!!

Im glad to see someone else is a bit skeptical.

fullahsiffur

Mar 2, 2004, 5:51 AM
Post #25 of 42 (2897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I too old to climb? (original post)
In reply to:
Good day to all climbers out there. As someone new to the workd of rock climbing, I am having difficulty deciding if I should add climbing to my list of hobbies. I was hopping for some input from older climbers out there in order to make a more informed dicision on which way to go. If at all.
I love to climb. Always have. Taking my children to the park, while I see other parents sitting on their butts, I am jumping out of swings, climbing on the equipment, etc. I am also an avid mountainbiker. (spent over $2,000 on my Cannondale). Trees were my favorite thing to climb untill I went to a local climbing gym last year. Now I am hooked. Here is the problem.
I am almost 37 years old. Reading numerous posts on this and other forums and checking profiles, I notice that most climbers out there posting are younger than I and alot of climbers started in their teens. I am wondering if I am too old to begin this hobby. No one can make this decision for me but your input will provide helpfull information. To climb or not to climb?
What I am asking is this. As climbers, knowing what you know, if you had to start again from scratch with no knowledge, skill or gear, would it be worth the climb?

Am I too fat to climb?
In reply to:

http://www.adventurepostoffice.com/...ards2/fishing-pl.gif

Hmmm...

See also:
Am I too retarded to keep rock climbing?
Am I too gay to keep rock climbing?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook