RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

thisguy

Mar 3, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Near Joplin, MO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Hey,
I'm looking for any outdoor climbing near Joplin, MO I've been over to Petra Rock Gym in Springfield quite a bit, but I'm trying to find some place a little close. I would like to start climbing a little more often, and it would be nice to not have to drive as far to climb a couple time a week. I would also be interested in finding a climbing partner in Joplin, who if nothing else would like to drive back and forth a few time to go to the gym in springfield.

I moved here about 6 months ago...anyone climb in Joplin?

Partner slacklinejoe

Mar 3, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Near Joplin, MO [In reply to]
Report this Post

There are a few routes listed here in the routes database for various parts of Missouri, I'm not sure how close they are to you though. I'm in Springfield so I just go over to Petra most of the time since, like you already realize, there isn't much going on rock wise in the area. Most people I know just drive down to Sam's Throne or Horseshoe canyon in Arkansas on the weekend, but something closer would be nice.

If nothing else, go find a bluff, adopt it as your own project and start cleaning it up to climb. Thats what I plan on doing this summer, setting up some top ropes on a series of rock outcrops down where I grew up to see if it's worth developing and going from there.

If you find something good close by, make sure and post back here - I'm interested too.

Good luck,

- Joe

jer

Mar 3, 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

this-
for a quick fix, hit "Wildcat Park" in Joplin for traversing and some topropes. It pretty much sucks, but it's something anyways...

Also I know there is some VERY STEEP limestone along the river in Noel, just East of you. If you are willing to drive a little farther, Osceola has over 100 routes, mostly sport; good for day trips. Of course, Arkansas has the best climbing in the country, so I suggest hoofing it down there every single chance you get.

jer

thisguy

Mar 3, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I must not be hitting the right area in Wildcat. I've been there and found a little bit of rock about twenty feet hight, right next to a little walking bridge sort of past some basketball courts. Please tell me there is more than that.

reprieve

Mar 4, 2004, 5:14 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey guys

I have a quick, basic guide to climbing in the ozarks. I'll host it in case any one wants to have a look.

As you'll see, any place good to climb is about 2-3 hours from springfield. :( In Joplin, I'd say your best bet is to hit up Petra once or twice a week and go to out for a night or two on the weekends.

Cheers,
-Rep

P.S. - Here's the file I was referring to:

http://www.missouri.edu/~kwcmq3/other/climb.pdf

therealbovine

Mar 9, 2004, 7:42 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

The climbing @ wildcat park is accross the river from the park. You can drive accross the low water bridge and park on the left in a pullout on top of the hill. Hike down a short trail wich leads the descent, "mother natures crack", a wide chimney. The climbing is only about 20-30 feet tall and is very sharp. Top ropes are the way to go here as the rock quality is poor. Good luck!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook