RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

chizelz

Mar 12, 2004, 1:43 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Adjustable, Portable, Home Climbing Wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A while back a friend and I designed and built a portable, adjustable climbing wall that we primarily used outdoor. The wall consisted of two eight foot panels that fastened together to form an 16'+ climbing wall, we had braces on the sides of the panels, that had adjustment holes in them, so we could adjust the angle between the panels, as well the wall itself could be tilted and supported at any angle, allowing for almost endless possibilities. The wall fastened to a base that made it secure, and we also made support type legs to hold the top when the wall was in a "cave" type position. We also used the wall indoors at an outdoor recreation show that was held in a gymnasium.. We have since scraped it, as it was a bit of a pig to transport, but now that we have a permanant place to mount the "thing" outside, we will be building version 2. Has anyone built a similar thing? I am looking for the pics, and I will post them when I get'em. Anyone interested in the plans, (free of course).

drunkencabanaboy

Mar 24, 2004, 4:14 AM
Post #2 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Re: Adjustable, Portable, Home Climbing Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am horribly interested! I have a large walk in closet i am doing nothing with, and would like to be able to store pieces of a bouldering cave there, and take them out to assemble in my living room when i want.

chronicle

Mar 24, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #3 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had something very similar. You couldn't adjust the angle of the panels, but the angle of the entire wall.

Three 4x8 panels made up the 12x8 wall. They could unbolt for storage. In my yard, I put in two 16' 6x6. There were 8'2" apart.
At the top of the 6x6 posts was a 4x4.
The 4x4 had a block and tackle on it that attached to the wall.
In the post were 1/2" holes drilled every foot down. The wall had a holes at the one end on the sides.
I could then lift the wall up to the angle I wanted it, climb the post (they had holds on them for this), put in a 9" bolt to hold the wall up.

It worked great. I'm now looking at making a 4 or 5 sided boulder with different features, overhangs, roofs, etc, and be able to top out on. I will need it to be able to withstand rainy springs, and snowy winters. That is my current project. If you want pictures of the portable wall, the support system is still in the yard.

fenix83

Mar 24, 2004, 4:38 AM
Post #4 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would really love those plans too. Sounds like exactly what I could use in the living room of my house when no one is looking... :evil:

jcr

Mar 24, 2004, 5:23 AM
Post #5 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totaly interested in the plans, climbing wall urgently needed at my house, hope yo find the pictures and the plans (as soon as you have them be sure to post them or PM me).

JC

g-funk
Deleted

Mar 24, 2004, 7:01 AM
Post #6 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ME TOO!!!!!

PM me with pics or plans as soon as you have them. I need a climbing wall in my living room as much as the next guy!

chizelz

Mar 24, 2004, 2:05 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

some schematic diagrams now appear here http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Photographer=chizelz

Please note, pictures are schematic, and do not include all components or details, required to make all connections. I will leave that part up to you. The most useful part of these schematics are the brace locations. Its just an idea.... it should, and can adapt to suit your needs, and in no way flawless the way it stands now. This is version of an actuall wall that we built. The first wall that we built we equally spaced the brace holes in both the brace and the wall frame... boy what a mistake that was.... it really limited the number of configurations that we could use. We feel that this version will fix that problem.

keazah

Mar 24, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mmmm... that sounds like a pretty interesting proyect... btw I tried to look for the pics in your profile... but I only found one of a wooden hangboard.... maybe they haven't been accepted yet...

I have to ask... cause I really don't understand how you can make it removable... How do you attach it, and to what?

chizelz

Mar 24, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are right they havn't bee approved yet, I just submitted them this morning.

How do you make it removeable... once you see the pictures it will become a little more evident how this can be done, and there was no hard and fast rules on how we did it, and it vaired for each location we used it. We have supported our first model from, trees, houses, a small wooden frame, and open web steel joists within a gym. The whole assembly (two wall panels, braces, base, and all associated hardware) all fit into the back of a half ton truck... although the braces were a little long.

xprompt

Mar 24, 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u mean like this???

http://www.stoneageclimbing.com/wall-spec.htm

chizelz

Mar 25, 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #11 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

similiar only different... once my pics are approved... if they are approved I hope it will be a little clearer the intent... I could describe it in a lengthly verbal description, but the pictures do it so much more justice.

xprompt

Mar 25, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #12 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ohhhhhh i get it now.....interesting

chizelz

Mar 26, 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #13 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we had a blast with the first version, the biggest kicker for us was that, fully assembled, it was heavy as hell for just two guys... it almost flattened me on more than one occasion, I would have come out looking like a dememted waffle. In hindsight, we should have been using some kind of pully system.

rkclmbr

Apr 13, 2004, 2:05 PM
Post #14 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool design, I am planning something similar for my basement.

What did you use to hinge the two panels together? I'm intending to have a 10' wide wall and would need the hinge point to be strong!

chizelz

Apr 13, 2004, 2:50 PM
Post #15 of 15 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We used 1" - 1-1/2" galvanized pipe with threaded ends, when a cap was threaded on the end it acted as a stop to prevent it from sliding out, however when the whole assembly is put together or weighted, there is little chance of that, but nice to be safe just the same. We drilled holes in the end members to accept the pipes, and reinforced them with steel straps running over the narrow part and plywood "gusset" plates on each side with matching holes.

A 10' wide wall with hinges... wow... the hinges sure would have to be strong...... Our wall was extremly heavy - 2 panels, 2X6 studs @ 16" o.c., and 3/4" plywood... it took two of us the full of our a**'s to schlep that thing around. I can only imagine how heavy a ten foot wide section would be. Might I suggest some intermediate hinges, or brackets, perhaps every other stud, or even every stud just to be overly cautious. If you could provide a sketch of what your intent is I may be able to comment better, not that I am an expert.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook