RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

climbhigh2005

Mar 22, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

In the beginning
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am doing a research paper on why people climb... my thesis is gonna have something to do with rock climbing wasn't always just a fun sport.... it began when.... but I dont have any sources or info on how it got started... could anone tell me a brief historyon cimbing.. not just in a specifc part of the word, but in th whole world in general... I apologize if there is already a topic like this, bt I am on a school comp, and time is limited so I cant find anything fast enough... thanks!

dingus

Mar 22, 2004, 6:43 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Re: In the beginning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A brief history of climbing? Not a chance.

Here is some reference material that may get you started:

Killing Dragons, the Conquest of the Alps, by Fergus Flemming.

There are other 'history of climbing' books concerning Europe. This one is perhaps the most thorough at documenting the rise of Alpinism. Europe in general and the Alps specifically are arguably the birthplace of all climbing as we know it today.

DMT

Partner rgold

Mar 22, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should think through your topic a bit. People (and our genetic ancestors) have been climbing before recorded time. It is neither interesting nor possible to try to investigate climbing before it was done "just for fun."

The real question is, when was climbing done for no particular reason? (I'm excluding religious influences, which are of course very ancient. Moses was hardly the first person to make an ascent in order to to commune with the gods.) It is when climbing had no purpose other than the inherent attractiveness of the activity itself that is interesting, and one way to define this would be to focus on when ascents were made that did not have a summit as their motivating goal.

It is conventional to assume that the British had something to do with this.

climbhigh2005

Mar 22, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am thinking more like why people climbed in the old days... was there anything they did were they had to climb? or has climbing always been for enjoyment?? thanks also any suggestions on paper would be appreciated...

Partner jammer

Mar 22, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure you'll find nothing about when people first started to climb, since I'm pretty sure it was back when people either climbed the rock or get eaten by them huge reptiles who saw them as lunch. Another point would be for purposes of war ... holding the higher point for intelligance or a good shot. Then, I'd say came exploring. There are libraries full of this information ... good luck. If I find anything, I'll PM you with the information.

Alan

climbhigh2005

Mar 22, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think you should think through your topic a bit. People (and our genetic ancestors) have been climbing before recorded time. It is neither interesting nor possible to try to investigate climbing before it was done "just for fun."

The real question is, when was climbing done for no particular reason? (I'm excluding religious influences, which are of course very ancient. Moses was hardly the first person to make an ascent in order to to commune with the gods.) It is when climbing had no purpose other than the inherent attractiveness of the activity itself that is interesting, and one way to define this would be to focus on when ascents were made that did not have a summit as their motivating goal.

It is conventional to assume that the British had something to do with this.

Well now that I'm in to my research paper, I really wish i could change the topic but I cant.. so I have to work with what I have and get as much info as possible... I like the idea that maybe I could say somthing like "Climbing always hasnt been for the entertainment of it... recall that Moses once climbed to get closer to the spirits... In my paper however, I am going too discuss the reason why modern day climbers have such a love for the sport?!?!? " Ok that sounds bad.. ma I really need help!!

climbhigh2005

Mar 22, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sure you'll find nothing about when people first started to climb, since I'm pretty sure it was back when people either climbed the rock or get eaten by them huge reptiles who saw them as lunch. Another point would be for purposes of war ... holding the higher point for intelligance or a good shot. Then, I'd say came exploring. There are libraries full of this information ... good luck. If I find anything, I'll PM you with the information.

Alan

I live in a tiny town with one library that has absoluetly nothing about climbing... why couldnt I just be normal and pick something like AIDS or Pregnacy??

dingus

Mar 22, 2004, 7:14 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2. Germans also blasted in the middle of moutains for setting up camouflaged gun turrets to shoot down enemy planes during WWII.

Hannibal crossed the impassable Alps to attack Rome. With elephants no less.

Twas WWI that saw extensive fighting in the Alps. Remember where WW1 started?

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/if.htm

DMT

alwaysforward

Mar 22, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should probably rethink your thesis though. "Fun" might not be the right word, and "climbing" is pretty broad. "Sport" is questionable. And what even constitutes a "beginning" is vague.

If you want to just write a climbing paper....

Maybe you could do bouldering and gymnastics. (www.johngill.net)
Alpinism and style over summit. (The value of routes over summits)
The Alps when Buhl and Rebuffet were climbing. (Both wrote books..)
Nationalist peak bagging. (i.e. Hitler)
The 7 summits.
Alpinism as masochism. (Pick a book. Enduring Patagonia, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage, Kiss or Kill, Alpinist....)
Bolt ethics. (many Magazne articles)
Pioneering in Yosemite (Camp 4 Steve Roper, Rock Jocks... John Long)
The popularity of climbing (bouldering fad, Everest/Denali conga lines etc)
Necessity as the mother of invention, in climbing (tech advents over the years, from pitons to cams, from hiking boots to sticky rubber, and the Chouinard old-school piolet to the BD Fusion etc etc)
Boldness (Layton Kor, Eldo, dolomites in the 30's etc etc)

I don't know though...

Partner jammer

Mar 22, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK ... try here and type in climbing history

http://www.google.com

You'll find more information then you can ever use :D

Alan

dorkmaster

Mar 22, 2004, 7:33 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hannibal crossed the impassable Alps to attack Rome. With elephants no less.
In reply to:
wonder if they used gear to cross the Alps....I am sure they did....would be interesting to see some of that gear!

just so you know, Hanibal started with about 1000 elephants, and only three survived....according to my World Studies teacher...could be false, but you never know :roll: , anyway, I bet you can picture elephants rolling down hills and crushing soldiers who were trying to get out of the way........

climbhigh2005

Mar 22, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OK ... try here and type in climbing history

http://www.google.com

You'll find more information then you can ever use :D

Alan

thats what I did to begin with and everything is like
Climbing in Cali History
and sent me links to here....

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username: