RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

deco

Apr 1, 2004, 6:39 AM
Post #1 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

How to ...Stick clip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any tips on how to make a stick clip?

karmaklimber

Apr 1, 2004, 6:58 AM
Post #2 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to ...Stick clip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rodeo clip. Its more fun :lol:

zacrobinson

Apr 1, 2004, 7:10 AM
Post #3 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

any long pole. The ones that collapse down to a smaller size work best. Then buy any little spring loaded clamp. Screw/bolt/tie/tape/glue the clamp (clip) onto the pole(stick)

then you have a stick clip. I am not being sarcastic. It really is that easy. Check home depot for the clamps and I used an old golf ball retriever for the stick.

good luck and way to be safe.

reedcrr

Apr 1, 2004, 8:02 AM
Post #4 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good idea on the last post about the golf retriever...try using a paint extension pole...you can buy one from Home Depot or any paint store. You will want one that can extend 10-15 ft. and still be strong, also one that can lock into position (either by twist or cam).

Go to www.homedepot.com and type Mr. Longarm (not joking) in to the search field or item #161590...you would want the one that telescopes from 8 - 14.5ft. About $35.00

To make the clip... again go to home depot and get a Babco 3 in. spring clamp...it should be fairly stiff and hard to open and a couple of hose clamps big enough to afix one arm of the clamp on to the end of the pole. About $6.00

Also get some cordlet ( about a foot) or any nylon cord...and tie it to the end of the pole that you hold... make a loop. This way you can clip it to you harness!

To use this device when done with the assembly, simply place a quick draw with it's gate open in to the clamp so that when clamped the quickdraw remains open, this takes practice to achieve but once you got it you'll be good.. Properly put the rope through the lower gate on the quickdraw, obviously this rope would be tied in to the lead climber. Hoist the open quickdraw up to the first bolt, carefully place the quickdraw on to the hanger, once your sure the open quickdraw is all the way in to the hanger pull down on your clipstick and the clamp will release and the gate on the quickdraw will close...if you did it correctly you now have the first bolt protected and the rope is not back clipped...

If you are on lead and need to do this, clip the bolt next to you with two quickdraws (from the hanger to the belay loop on your harness) and take the tension off the rope...Use two lockers and a two foot stitched sling if you want to feel better, but the quickdraws will work fine.

Once you are secure ask your belayer clip the stick to the rope (you might have to pull up some rope and lower him/her some so he/she can do this)and pull it up to you. Once you have it untie the knot they tied and ask for slack from your belayer so you can stickclip the next bolt location above your head. Once the bolt is clipped and the gate is closed... ask your belayer to "take" up the slack, if done correctly you should be on TR till you get to that bolt location, make sure you are before unclipping those quickdraws!
Keep the stick with you and repeat this process until either you can climb the route or you reach the anchor. Be safe and make sure not to backclip!

Climb on and have fun!

akclimber

Apr 1, 2004, 8:37 AM
Post #5 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like a pussy way up to me...

reedcrr

Apr 1, 2004, 8:45 AM
Post #6 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They asked...I told, didn't say I agreed with the method!

By the way they could just bail the route and leave the gear, I will come by and get it later... :D

I personally do not use one... I figure if I can't get to the first clip I shouldn't climbing the route and if the first bolt location is in an "X" location requiring me to stickclip I just go on to the next climb...I just want to climb not fiddle with paint poles!

Nuff said...Have fun and climb hard

scclimber

Apr 1, 2004, 9:43 AM
Post #7 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Good idea on the last post about the golf retriever...try using a paint extension pole...you can buy one from Home Depot or any paint store. You will want one that can extend 10-15 ft. and still be strong, also one that can lock into position (either by twist or cam).

Go to www.homedepot.com and type Mr. Longarm (not joking) in to the search field or item #161590...you would want the one that telescopes from 8 - 14.5ft. About $35.00

To make the clip... again go to home depot and get a Babco 3 in. spring clamp...it should be fairly stiff and hard to open and a couple of hose clamps big enough to afix one arm of the clamp on to the end of the pole. About $6.00

Also get some cordlet ( about a foot) or any nylon cord...and tie it to the end of the pole that you hold... make a loop. This way you can clip it to you harness!

To use this device when done with the assembly, simply place a quick draw with it's gate open in to the clamp so that when clamped the quickdraw remains open, this takes practice to achieve but once you got it you'll be good.. Properly put the rope through the lower gate on the quickdraw, obviously this rope would be tied in to the lead climber. Hoist the open quickdraw up to the first bolt, carefully place the quickdraw on to the hanger, once your sure the open quickdraw is all the way in to the hanger pull down on your clipstick and the clamp will release and the gate on the quickdraw will close...if you did it correctly you now have the first bolt protected and the rope is not back clipped...

If you are on lead and need to do this, clip the bolt next to you with two quickdraws (from the hanger to the belay loop on your harness) and take the tension off the rope...Use two lockers and a two foot stitched sling if you want to feel better, but the quickdraws will work fine.

Once you are secure ask your belayer clip the stick to the rope (you might have to pull up some rope and lower him/her some so he/she can do this)and pull it up to you. Once you have it untie the knot they tied and ask for slack from your belayer so you can stickclip the next bolt location above your head. Once the bolt is clipped and the gate is closed... ask your belayer to "take" up the slack, if done correctly you should be on TR till you get to that bolt location, make sure you are before unclipping those quickdraws!
Keep the stick with you and repeat this process until either you can climb the route or you reach the anchor. Be safe and make sure not to backclip!

Climb on and have fun!

not exactly good practice to put your life in the hands of a single bolt. if that bolt blows, it doesn't matter how many draws you have attached to it.

shamusnsusej

Apr 2, 2004, 4:11 AM
Post #8 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok. heres an easy way to do it at the cliff... no home depot. no wasted money.

find a stick. move the draw so that is is horizontal in the clipping position, opposite the gate of course. now, jam the stick into the open area. viola! you can get a twig to keep the gate open, or just force the clip without.

0 0stick
g 0stick
a 0drawdrawdrawdraw rope
t 0drawdrawdrawdraw biner
e 0stick here
0 0 stick
000 stick
stick
stick
stick
stick
ect.

deos that make sense?

i also agree that relying on 1 bolt is kind of sketch

munckee

Apr 2, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #9 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
sounds like a sissy way up to me...
BS. Sounds like a great way to place pro in a sketchy situation to me. Who the hell are you to call another climber a sissy because he wants to be safe?

mustclimb69

Apr 2, 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #10 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lightly tape the spine of the biner to a stick(aka collapasable pole) use a twig to hold the gate open then put the rope in the other end of the draw
Reach up, clip the first bolt. the twig will be pushed out and clip the bolt. pull and the tape breaks and voila you hvae the first bolt clipped.

I only know this because ....I saw someone do this....really!!!

l0wnsl0

Apr 2, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #11 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once upon a time, while climbing in the red, my partner wanted to work something that was just at his limit. The first clip was shady, and he wanted to stick clip it. So.... I grabbed a stick off the ground, and stuck the draw on the end(just stuck it through the sling) and clipped. No 30 dollar pole was needed!!!

maculated

Apr 3, 2004, 2:37 AM
Post #12 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

maculated moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maculated moved this thread from General to Sport Climbing.

philip171

Apr 3, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #13 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just made one, we have a old 35 foot poll for hooking to a sweeper to clean a pool out with, it telloscoped down to about 7 feet so it can fit in the car. I then found a old set of jumper cables that have not been used, so I cut them off. Then I took a drill and drilled a small hole through the copper and the poll and took a bolt that had sharp threads and put 3 in. Then I hammerd out the teeth to dull it down, but it was still to grippy, so I put a few layers of duck tape on it. Works great, took a little work but was able to get it up there.

daisuke

Apr 3, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #14 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just buy a kong frog and be over the trouble, all you need with that is a regular stick and some sports tape, check it out in the gear review section

D

moss1956

Apr 3, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #15 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did it with the same materials (Mr. Longarm, and the Babco no 3. spring clip as redcrr, however I used 3 radiator clamps to attach the spring clip to the end of Mr. Longarm and then wrapped a whole bunch of duct tape around the radiator clamps so that it was smooth and held in twice. Its really solid.

rocknmedic

Apr 3, 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #16 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out gearexpress.com, 29.99, free shipping, lightweight, collapsable, easy..........

jt512

Apr 4, 2004, 2:11 AM
Post #17 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to consider buying that new gadget, the Squid, by Petzl(?). The advantage to it is that it makes it easy to clip a rope through a pre-laced draw, and to stick unclip a draw, compared with a conventional stick clip.

-Jay

cragmaster

Apr 4, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #18 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A cheap stick clip to make would be to get a painters pole and attach an alligator clip to the end with hose clamps-the basic stick clip. What climber who has owned a stick clip did not have one like this?

redpiton

Apr 4, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #19 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the Squid is actually by Trango, and works pretty well. I'd be afraid of breaking the contraption by having it accidently fall on rocks or something. It serves a purpose, but i'd be worried about my investment becoming fish food (ha. ha. ha.)

jt512

Apr 4, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #20 of 20 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="redpiton"]the Squid is actually by Trango...
In reply to:

Thanks for the correction on the brand.

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook