RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

boulder_boy

Apr 5, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #1 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

The kong frog quickdraw
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok Ive been looking around online and I come across a thing called the kong frog
http://www.epinions.com/content_101563010692

I was just wondering if anyone here has one and do you like them? is it really worth having a couple of these in your rack? thx
I was just wondering cause they look like they could really help.....would it be called cheating though?

caughtinside

Apr 5, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #2 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Re: The kong frog quickdraw [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm too lazy to look at the link. That's the thing that's spring loaded that closes around the bolt? Gives you a couple extra inches of reach. Pretty specialized, but I can think of a few tough to clip bolts where one would be pretty nice. But, overall, I don't really think they're necessary. I don't think you'd want more than one.

tweek

Apr 5, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #3 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should all read this link only because at the bottom it recomends it for bouldering.

I saw one. It would take a lot of convincing for me to trust it. Something about the simplicity of a biner that this thing lacks. I look forward to someone's respones who has actually used one on rock and fallen on it.

Partner cliffhanger9

Apr 5, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #4 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/product.php?p=1692&list=1

i dunno - i dont have them but its pretty much the same concept as just clippin it so...i dunno just a different design - kinda cool

timstich

Apr 5, 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #5 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Besides expense, another drawback of this device is that it needs to be reset each time it closes. If you have it on your harness and it is closed, you will need to flick each lever open in order to use it. Not the kind of futzing I would want to do. I think it's a solution looking for a problem more or less. If you are worried about a bad clip, then it would be useful.

daisuke

Apr 5, 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #6 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thing is very useful, but it's only meant for stick clipping if I'm not mistaken, and it's much better than any stick clip. I don't see it being practical for clipping when you're on lead.

skecthballer

Apr 5, 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #7 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it would be a total waste of money. If the clip is that hard for you then stick clip if, even if its a pink point its still a send so it dosen't matter.

renohandjams

Jun 27, 2005, 4:38 PM
Post #8 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would only get one because of the price, but if you are pumped on an over hang and pushing your limit I would want to have one of these on my rack for that next bolt so I could slam it on. Of course you would have to practice this on easier bolts just to get the hang of it. I'm a gear not so I like to have a little bit of everything.

-Kenny (buyer)
------------------------
TradRack.com SuperStore
Free Email Accounts, yourname@TradRack.com, only 100 to give
Click here to see if your name is available

caughtinside

Jun 27, 2005, 4:47 PM
Post #9 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not better for just slamming on bolts, because you have to set it before you can use it.

Where it does shine, is where just 2 or 3 more inches of reach make the difference when clipping a bolt. They're nice for shorter climbers.

z_rock90

Jun 27, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #10 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one, they are sweet!!!! you don't have to reset it when it comes off your harness you just pull it off. its quicker than a quickdraw and has saved me many times.

renohandjams

Jun 28, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #11 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have one, they are sweet!!!! you don't have to reset it when it comes off your harness you just pull it off. its quicker than a quickdraw and has saved me many times.

Would you only recommend getting one because of the price? How often do you actually use it when you go sport climbing?

-Kenny
------------------------
TradRack.com SuperStore
Free Email Accounts, yourname@TradRack.com, only 100 to give
Click here to see if your name is available

killclimbz

Jun 28, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #12 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Kong frog is one of those items that is useful depending on where you are climbing. Used with a taped stiff draw, it can come in handy from time to time. Is it worth the $$? Not for me, but it does what it is supposed to as advertised.

straightedge

Jun 28, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #13 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I talked with a 'famous climber' and Kong celebrity rep at the Outdoor Retailer trade show a few years ago about these draws. He had been given some of them by Kong - he gave them away after a few climbs.

I can see them being useful for stick clipping, but doubt you could unclip them using a stick clip like you can with a Squid. Would they even fit in the Epic or Trango stick clips, or would you have to tape it to the pole?

Biner's work for me.

j_kirby

Jun 28, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #14 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems like there is one awkward point to using these . . . . changing ends to clip. Regular quickdraws hang on my harness oriented in the right direction. When I reach down and unclip the straightgate, I simply leave it in that orientation in my hand and clip it to the hanger. With this doodad, it hangs on your gear loop by the bent gate carabiner and requires you to unclip it, and then turn it 180 deg so you can hold on to it by the mechanical bolt clipper. Then you could clip.

Not only would you have a chance to drop it during that futzing, it seems like it'd be more complicated than just using a regular draw.

bandycoot

Jun 28, 2005, 8:08 PM
Post #15 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got on an 5.11d J-Tree bolted lead once. Being a trad climber I cruised the runout opening 60 feet, got to the overhung crux at the top and started whimpering even though it was well bolted. For the life of me I could not make the damn clip due to reach, so I downclimbed to the last bolt and hung, brought up my buddy's "frog" and climbed back up and made the clip. I think that it is a great toy for the right climb. The way it works is pretty ingenious, and I would absolutely trust it in a fall. That said, I'll probably never own one of these since I'd rather buy specialty trad gear with my $ and it seem too specialized a piece of gear. You could get the same reach benefit by stiffening up a 4-6" dogbone on a quickdraw.

In reply to:
Seems like there is one awkward point to using these . . . . changing ends to clip.

Obviously NOT a trad climber...

tradklime

Jun 28, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #16 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Based on my one experience with this thing, I'd say they suck and are unsafe. First, I found no benefit to the way you clip it to the bolt, and a bit awkward to handle. Most importantly, when I climbed past it, the rope travel caused it to be pulled sideways and it got jammed up on the bolt hanger. It was stuck in a sideways orientation. I think it would have broken if I fell and it was a bitch to get it unstuck.

Add to it the uneccessary weight and complexity and you have total garbage.

If you need a stick clip... get a stick clip.

j_kirby

Jun 28, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #17 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely a trad climber. I like to swap leads. I triple up my full length slings. I wear comfortable climbing shoes. I carry way too much gear. I have even been known to build anchors out of clove hitches, jammed knots, chocked carabiners, and my own body, shoved in a crack. That said, when its time to clip bolts I like to keep it simple. Its about focusing on the movement, not the gear whoring. None of this juggling draws so my new-fangled clipper-thing can grab the bolt for me. I won't be buying one of those Frogs anytime soon.

z_rock90

Jun 29, 2005, 2:45 AM
Post #18 of 18 (8610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use them about 3 times out of 15 routes. I paid 15 bucks for mine on ebay. new with tags.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook