RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

mazzystr

Apr 7, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Weekend @ RRG
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This weekend was amazing...simply amazing. me, a coworker and another fellow from the gym spent the weekend at the red river gorge in kentucky. my team climbed above and beyond their normal abilities. these two guys i've molded into damn strong climbers. they are normally 5.8 and 5.10 top ropers in the gym.

there were a couple teams from our local gym. it was great seeing some familiar faces from my gym...it eased my mind knowing there were friends in the area. we met some great people also at miguels...ya know thaaat always happens :) a guy named Rock climbed with us on monday. he really completed our 3man team. we got some crazy mileage in on monday.

the freakin weather.....jezez, i aint never been so cold in my life! 20degree lows at night. the first night, i looked up to see frost on the inside of my tent...i was like what kind of happy horse$**te is this??? and like clockwork, from drinking so much water, i had to pee at 3am. i ended up getting pretty good at manuevering in a mummy bag *snickers* the worst was monday night, i go to..... *go* i wake up...set the bottle inside the bag to warm it up...i unscrew the cap...set it down...adjusted something else (my headlamp sicko!) and then grab the bottle again...uh oh...wait a minute....is that bottle upside down??? that sucked! all over the inside of my bag.... grrr! i was ready to go home after that, lol.

[spray]
1) (torrent falls) lets lestroy oooh and aaah - 5.8sport - redpoint
2) (torrent falls) wadcutter - 5.8sport - redpoint
3) (roadside) AWOL - 5.10c toprope - onsight <----first ever 5.10 TR onsight!
4) (roadside) finger pockets - 5.10c toprope - 2wieghts :(
5) (roadside) c sharp or b minor - 5.7sport - onsight
6) (roadside) ledger line - 5.7sport - onsight
7) (motherlode) stabbed you in the back - 5.10a sport- every bolt weighted, lol :P
8) (left flank) brother stair - 5.9sport - onsight
9) (left flank) mr bungle - 5.8+ sport - onsight
10) (left flank) face up to that crack - 5.8- sport - onsight <---climbed this by moon and star!
11) (left flank) fast food christmas - 5.10a sport - onsight <----first ever 5.10 sport onsight!
12) (left flank) defying the laws of trad. - 5.10a sport - 1 weight.....close but no cigar :/
[end]

Much was acomplished over the weekend. climbing partners learned how to sport climb, finished up some unsettled business from my last trip, climbed an extremely difficult dihedral, climbed by moonlight. it was an awesome awesome weekend.
:)
cheers,
-Chris

redpointron

Apr 7, 2004, 9:29 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Re: Weekend @ RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chris...

glad to hear you had a great trip. were you at roadside on monday? i was there and there must've been 25 people, but remarkably didn't have to wait for anything. got 6 laps on 4 different routes in about 3 hours.

let me know when you're back in the area.

clean that sleeping bag, that's nasty.

r.r.

shakylegs

Apr 7, 2004, 9:32 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FWIW, Wadcutter is considered a 5.9. That should make you feel better. The exit moves are difficult, and falling about the 3rd clip could result in broken ankles. So, good job.

mazzystr

Apr 8, 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ron,
we were at left flank on monday. i'm pretty sure me and my crew met you. we are from michigan and my two partners names were ed and ed

Shakylegs,
thanks for the grade correction
=)

my partner is just starting on 5.9's in the gym and took a 15footer from the final bolt on wadcutter. it was his third sport route and 2nd day on real rock. he climbed fantastic. the fall rattled him a little bit but he was up and at it the next day.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook