RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

boulder_monkey

Apr 14, 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Moss Sux Major Ass!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was just looking around my house recently for a sweet crag, and i found a good 5 or 6 that were fairly nice. now see, i have no car as of yet, so i cant drive myself to the Gunks, or anywhere like that. well, one of these spots i just visited a few days ago with my friend. its an old dried up riverbed from the looks of it, and it has this ILLIN overhang and some other nice spots on it. has a sweet, long wall, not too high but great for traversing. anyway, getting to the point...well the problem is that half the damn thing is COVERED in moss :evil: as you can imagine, i was pretty pissed when i tried climbing and had moss procede to fall directly into my eyes, causing me to fall screaming, all two feet to my DEATH! ok well not quite...but it still makes a sweet spot all but unclimbable. any suggestions as to getting rid of my little green friend? i was actually considering bringing out a pressure washer and blowing the hell out of the moss, but thinking about it, it seems a little impractical. :lol: (especially since i would probably have to carry it the whole way there!) :? :lol:

Partner mr8615

Apr 14, 2004, 1:12 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Re: Moss Sux Major Ass!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First find out who owns the land and ask their permission to climb/clean there. Then figure out what kind of rock it is. Then get a wire or stiff bristle brush.

jkarns

Apr 14, 2004, 1:28 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the world of route development!

Especially in lush environments, new rock rarely ever arrives in a clean and climbable state. YOU need to clean it, you silly fool!!! First definately find out the ownership of the rock. Then have at it! I find that a stiff broom works best first on really mossy rock. Just sweep off all the big loose stuff. Then have at it with the brushes. On resonably hard rock, it is okay to clean the route for the first time with a wire brush. This is really the most effective way of doing it, but too much scrubbing WILL scar the rock. After it is clean, only use nylon.

Happy sending!

boulder_monkey

Apr 14, 2004, 1:29 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont think you understand just how MUCH moss there is...i mean in places the rock is absolutely covered in it. sorry if i didnt make that clear before, but theres just a little too much to get off with a toothbrush. and im pretty sure the land is owned by the town, if its not, they dont care anyway...i know who lives there.

boulder_monkey

Apr 14, 2004, 1:31 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks jkarns, lol posted that last one right after mr8615 posted his, didnt read yours so sorry if i sound like an idiot in that last one :oops: :lol:

acrophobic

Apr 14, 2004, 1:33 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you really want to climb there, the only way to get it off is hard work and elbow grease.

boulder_monkey

Apr 14, 2004, 1:36 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if you really want to climb there, the only way to get it off is hard work and elbow grease.
yea thanx, i guess i just didnt realize that :roll: what a concept! i didnt ask how to get around it, just the best way to do it...:deadhorse: <---haha wierd emoticon....

Partner mr8615

Apr 14, 2004, 1:57 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I said a brush, I didn't mean a toothbrush sized brush. Go to a hardware store and get a cheap, big wire brush. I went through three brushes on the last route I cleaned, but it was lichen and not moss and they were 50 cents each.

Mark

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook