RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

j_dub

Apr 18, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Wrist/back of hand aches after long day in gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know I know.. climbing in the gym sucks. But I went yesterday for a couple hours by myself, and climbed pretty hard (until I was totally pumped).. Aside from the normal forearm/whole body aches, the back of my hand and my wrist are sore (mostly when I flex my hand). Not horribly painful, but achey and sore.. I'm a really new climber, and I'm worried about getting injured (mostly injuring or straining tendons) because I'm still not terribly strong. Is this just normal adjustment to climbing harder, or did I hurt/over-strain myself? I want to go climb again on Tuesday, but not if it's going to hurt my hand so I can't climb for weeks..

Just wait until it stops hurting to climb again? Is any particular kind of soreness more worrisome than others?

Sorry for the anxious noob question.. :oops:

alderak

Apr 18, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wrist/back of hand aches after long day in gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

is the soreness on the back of your wrist, like where the face of a watch would go? I have had that before... I just began to stretch more before and after I climbed...

put your hands together like your praying and then turn the tips of your fingers away from your body and down... that will stretch your forearms... then I bend my wrists forward and push my fingers gently toward the "bottom" of my wrist(where the clasp of a watch would be) and that stretches the other side of your forearm....

I mostly got the kind of pain your talking about from using a hangboard...

anyhow, if it were me, I'd stretch more, drink water while I climbed and back off for the day if it starts to hurt too badly... also, stay away from large dynamic moves until you start to feel more confident...

perhaps you can support it a little with some tape?

Good luck

sueclimbs

Apr 18, 2004, 6:38 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totally agree with alderak....stretch, water, breaks will help. when you put in a really good day of climbing and try things you dont normally try, you are likely to find muscles that you never knew you had!! Perhaps they are weak and just need time to develop.

oxgus

Apr 19, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would just leave it if your a new climber. Be safe and leave out tuesday because if you try to climb and hurt yourself badly you could be out for a long time. If the pain carrys on then ask a doctor.

Hope it gets better.

granitegod

Apr 19, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quit yer whining, fer one.

Take some ibuprofen, fer two.

And did I mention, quit whining?

alderak

Apr 19, 2004, 9:09 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what a purfect example of a useless post... thanks granitegod, you can get back to being a supreme being now

kungfulkoder

Apr 23, 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
put your hands together like your praying and then turn the tips of your fingers away from your body and down... that will stretch your forearms... then I bend my wrists forward and push my fingers gently toward the "bottom" of my wrist(where the clasp of a watch would be) and that stretches the other side of your forearm....

I had the exact same problem (relatively new climber [boulderer] myself), and came to find that the above exercide did help out, though I would recommend doing them before the pain really comes. I don't do it as often, since this problem is pretty much gone now, but regardless its a good forearm stretch.

Oh, and good luck getting over this! :D

wannabelaybabe

Apr 23, 2004, 1:23 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't over-do mantling moves for a bit. i worked on one move about 5 times, and finally had to quit cause of my wrists. by the next morning i was cool.

j_dub

Apr 29, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks - it seems to have gotten better (fingers crossed). I've started stretching out my forearms/arms in the shower after a night of climbing, and that seems to be helping - that forearm stretch is great! :)

I tend to be sore on the inside of my wrists, mostly, and the inside of my forearms. It's been less lately, as I'm either getting stronger, using my legs more, or am just being a lazy bum in the gym. ;)

Turns out that part of this was joint pain from some nasty virus I picked up (possibly in the Everglades on spring break).

Thank you all again for all your advice - I really appreciate it! :D

Partner xclimber

Apr 29, 2004, 8:07 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a similar, chronic problem resulting from a trauma to my right hand. The info about stretching is right on, but I'd add hand exercises using a "PowerWeb".

Good luck!

X

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook