Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
Any hi-res pics of how to set a primituve slack line?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

cheezhead

Apr 19, 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #1 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Any hi-res pics of how to set a primituve slack line?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone can take a high res pic or knows of one online about how to set up a slack line. I am planning on just making my own with some webbing and some biners. I downloaded the pdf from a website i found through this forum but i am still a bit confused. Oh and i am planning to use two trees in my yard.

I just want a pic of the tightening end of the set up. I understand the anchor end.I thing i am supposed to have two biners on the slack line....then two hooked to the second tree with webbing/sling...then i get confused....am i supposed to use some webbing from the slack line to hook these two points together?....i was think it would be easier to just use another peice of webbing for this part....but i am not sure if that would be as easy to tighten up. any ways yeah...if somone could find me a pick of the tightening section of a slack line or explain to me exactly which way is the easiest way to hooke it up.

Thanks in advance.....
Cheezhead

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 19, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #2 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any hi-res pics of how to set a primituve slack line? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

See the info & links posted in:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=58148

This has been dicussed many many times and is available if you use the search.

Partner coldclimb

Apr 19, 2004, 8:41 AM
Post #3 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been meaning to take a decent pic and post it here. Guess I'll do that soon. ;)

cheezhead

Apr 19, 2004, 8:51 AM
Post #4 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This has been dicussed many many times and is available if you use the search.

i did use the search....and i know it has been discussed. I am just asking for some further clarification picturewise. I have been reading and searching through alot of slackline threads in this forum but can't find a good pic of the set up. I found some links from some threads but the pics i ended up finding were close ups of the rigging...the pic basically showed the biners and about 3 inches on each side of the webbing....or the pic was from too far away for me to really see what was going on.

I understand how the webing goes through the biners. but i am wondering about some more specific things that i need to see a pic of the whole tightening set up. I have even seen alot of your posts too and am still wondering about this stuff.

so as i said in my first post....should i use another piece of webbing for the link between the 4 biners?....or is it ok to use the extra lenght of webbing from the slackline itself.

I assume that by tieing off a seperate pice of webbing between the biners it should be ok....but i am wondering if this makes it too dificult?...or what?
So i asked :|

thinksinpictures

Apr 19, 2004, 1:08 PM
Post #5 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure what a lot of other people here use, but for the anchor side I use three beaners and the remainder of the piece of webbing that constitutes the actual slackline. I don't have a photo, but I'll do my best to explain my simple setup.

I make one alpine butterfly knot about one foot before the tree I'm using as an anchor. Then I make another alpine butterfly closer to the center of the slackline, a little further than my full armspan (fingertip to fingertip) away from the first knot. I clip one beaner into the first butterfly that I tied and two into the second. If you can add pulleys to any of these beaners you'll be a happier person.

Now I go back to the tail of the slackline webbing and go around the back of the anchor tree (if you're using a tree regularly, make a "tree cozy" with some old cardboard or something), and thread it through one of the pair of beaners further up the slackline, then down through the single beaner, then back up through the second of the pair, then back toward the tree. To finish, I just wrap the remaining line around the tree a few times (with the trees I use my line goes around three more times, which gives plenty of friction), and tuck it under itself so it stays wrapped.

You can do this with two less beaners, simply clipping one further up the line where you would have had two, and not going back and forth with the line, but this gives up a lot of mechanical advantage and makes it much harder to tighten by yourself. With the three beaners I can set up and tighten the line on my own, which is a major advantage.

cheezhead

Apr 19, 2004, 5:03 PM
Post #6 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hhhmmmm...the 3 biner plan sounds fairly simple....i think i will give it a shot if i don't get the other way to work for me. I am trying to get a set up that i can tighten my self. that is the reason why I am asking about the 4 biner way that i found. But it seems that your 3 biner method might be the ticket i am looking for.

shutupandclimb

Apr 19, 2004, 5:39 PM
Post #7 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a four biner setup for my slackline. I clove hitch the slackline to two biners (do it so that the end leading to the walking part is coming from the middle of the knot, this will help the line lay flat) and then run the rest of the slackline back and forth between these and two biners I have attached to the tree. I then clove hitch a biner on the end of the webbing and attach a daisy chain to the tree.

This way it's easy to tighten and losen the line. If you need it just a little tighter, bump the biner one more link along the daisy. When you reach the end of the daisy, adjust the clove hitch and repeat the process.

There is a lot of metal in this setup, so it's best to anchor it with a loose loop of webbing. I would hate to get hit in the head with 6 carabiners.

I have a high resolution picture, but I don't know how to post it here. Private Message me with an email address if you want it.

Dave

cheezhead

Apr 19, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #8 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the daisy chain idea is a good one. That would make it quite easy to take down...no knots to untie 8^) i pmed you for the pic dave. ill post to let ya know when i get the pic.

shutupandclimb

Apr 19, 2004, 6:54 PM
Post #9 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, it's dead easy to take down, I just leave it assembled for next time so it takes barely any time at all to set it up between the same two trees. Although the clove hitches are a real pain if you do want to untie them after a while.

cheezhead

Apr 19, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #10 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

got the pic dave...thanks for sending it. Your pic looks like how i thought it should be. thanks for the verifycation.

Cheezhead

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 19, 2004, 8:50 PM
Post #11 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Although the clove hitches are a real pain if you do want to untie them after a while.

Your right - thats why you use two biners in the actual clove hitch - so when you're done you can actually pry the knot apart with the 2nd biner fairly easily. Works very well.

Partner coldclimb

Apr 20, 2004, 4:21 AM
Post #12 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Although the clove hitches are a real pain if you do want to untie them after a while.

Your right - thats why you use two biners in the actual clove hitch - so when you're done you can actually pry the knot apart with the 2nd biner fairly easily. Works very well.

Definately. I learned this the hard way. :lol:

Partner coldclimb

Apr 21, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #13 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, this isn't high-res or good quality, but it's a pic. :) The slackline goes off left, and the biners on the right are clipped to a rabbit runner that goes around a tree. The end of the line is wrapped a few times around whatever happens to be nearby and tied off. This what you wanted? I can do better if this isn't enough....

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=30232

chronicle

Apr 21, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #14 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is the same setup I use, but only three biners. The webbing locks itself off, making it easy for one person to get the line tight. I found the instructions online somewhere. If I can remember, I'll post the link.

cheezhead

Apr 21, 2004, 6:56 AM
Post #15 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys....Dave sent me a nice pic of his setup and i have it all worked out now. Now if i can just learn how to walk it a little better.

japhyr

Apr 22, 2004, 6:17 AM
Post #16 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd been meaning to post pictures of a simple setup for a while, and I finally got around to it tonight.

http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/...ne_systems/index.htm

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 22, 2004, 2:14 PM
Post #17 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd been meaning to post pictures of a simple setup for a while, and I finally got around to it tonight.

http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/...ne_systems/index.htm

Thats pretty complete. The only thing I'd mention is that you say girth hitch the biner on the tensioning end instead of a clove hitch which is what you used by looking. That is unless I've been using the wrong terms for that hitch for the last 2 years... :D

japhyr

Apr 22, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #18 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Joe! I'll fix it tonight.

therealbovine

Apr 22, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #19 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

japhyr,

Nice pics.

It must really suck to live that close to water and the mountians...

Keep posting the good beta!

jb

Apr 22, 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #20 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to use the setup with 2 biners clove hitched into the line and 3 biners on the anchor side.....it worked well, but if you wanna get it really tight or do longer lines you can do this: Slip knot a biner into the line about 10 feet out (for an 80 footer) take the webbing through the anchor biner. go through the biner tied in the line. pull…slip knot a biner into the section of the line closest to the one you just pulled. put the webbing through and pull. Continue doing this until it is tight enough. For clarification, the webbing looks like a “z” that keeps on going down getting shorter in length at each turnback. Each corner of the “z” is where the biners are slipknotted into the line above the one that is pulling on it. It’ll take you a couple of tries, but once you get it right, it works quite well. I’ve tightened a 110 footer about 5 or 6 feet off the ground. Good luck
here’s another description of my setup that I made earlier:

Joined: 01 Apr 2004Posts: 8Location: californiaOnline Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:36 am Post subject: Re: making line longer...?

you can tighten a seventy footer solo with a couple of biners.....and I'm only 150 lbs....so it's not that hard....i just use 5-6 feet of webbing for an anchor around a tree with a water knot. for the rigging side I just clip a biner into the achor and have a biner tied (slip knot or clove hitch) into the line about 12 feet out (for a seventy footer) and i clip the webbing into the anchor biner, and once it's through I tie another biner into the webbing (as close to the anchor biner as possible), then I clip the webbing into the biner that was the first on the line, pull, slip knot another biner in(next to the last biner I pulled through(the 1st on the line), clip into the biner tied in near the anchor, pull, tie a biner in (near the last one pulled through), clip webbing into biner near first biner on the line, pull, clip into the third biner near the anchor, pull, and tie off.....here's a diagram.... 0 = biner ----- = webbing 0--------------0---------------------------------------------0 anchor -0----------- ----------0 0-------- tie in ------ (to the biner above) an 0 on the line means it's tied in.....a line below an 0 that stops below it means it's clipped into it.....hope this helps.....i could see how it would be confusing...

jb

Apr 22, 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #21 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dang, that little diagram i did got totally screwed up when it was posted......you can just go to where it was originally posted if you wanna see it

shaggyj

Apr 27, 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #22 of 22 (6784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is my solo set up. It's using a booty Gri-gri that I found one morning at the base of a climb.

It's a 3:1 set up sometimes 4:1 if I need an extra kick. I use old mt. bike tubes for my tree friendlies.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ailed=30558 border=

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook