RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

hooligan_dawgs

Apr 16, 2002, 1:36 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Getting started
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i've been climbing for more or less a year now and have hit a plateau in my skill level. i've met about 4-5 "advanced climbers and only one was friendly and helpful, but he's been out of it for a couple of months cause of an ankle injury.
I was just wondering if there is a trend here or what, where "advanced" folks don't like to help out the newbies?

rckfreek

Apr 16, 2002, 1:55 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Getting started [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it may be a trend where you are from but out here in Boise Most people are rather freindly. I have not been climbing real long little under a year right now, but most people i have talked to are rather freindly.

As to the platue i haven't been climbing much longer but the key for myself is climb, climb, and climb some more. Then on top of that try new things. Not to long ago i was always a toproper and sticking around on 5.8 5.9's. Now i am leading most up around 5.9 and can get through a modest 5.10 on top rope. My key during the busy times (college) is climb once a week and then work for twice and up to around three times a week. Also keep doing finger and arm work outs. Strengh and style are where it is at.

-Rock Freek-

ryanxsevn

Apr 16, 2002, 4:52 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been seriosly climbing for about 8 months and most of the people i've met have been really cool.

Try your local climbing gym. I've found you can meet alot cool people there.

traddaddy

Apr 16, 2002, 2:32 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't be discouraged. Like they said, most climbers are friendly and willing to help out, just keep looking.

andy_lemon

Apr 16, 2002, 3:17 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This traddaddy guy picked my butt up and taught me to climb at Red River Gorge!

ponyryan

Apr 18, 2002, 12:08 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The really good climbers at my local gym are always open for questions. If I get stuck on a move and ask them for help, they take the time to explain the move to me and sit there to see if I can get it. Often times a small crowd will develop to watch a person trying a wall if they've asked about it. I think that adds a ton to the climbing experience, and I am glad that my gym is so friendly (college climbing center, so all the climbers are fellow students). I think most climbers that don't have a natural ego the size of a small nation will help you out. If you ask someone and they're a jerk, don't be discouraged. Ask someone else. If you're in a gym, ask the person running the place. They can be a good source of help, because usually they know climbing in general pretty well. If it's a general climbing question though, one of the best things I've found is something you've already found. Rockclimbing.com.

EDIT: Grammar

[ This Message was edited by: ponyryan on 2002-04-17 17:10 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook