Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ronniefrown

Apr 12, 2002, 2:03 AM
Post #26 of 31 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Have i Got a Deathwish??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

if you WANT to not be afraid, you just have to swallow, smile and go. it also helps to not read the articles about nasty injuries in climbing mags. if you want to know what helped me (i was a little iffy at about 30 ft plus), i got my buddy to belay me and then let out a lot of slack. he told me fall and i had two choices: fall, or hold on until i did fall. i got over the fear really quickly. you don't have to do it that way, but it's actually pretty fun, now!

hooligan_dawgs

Apr 16, 2002, 2:06 AM
Post #27 of 31 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I too am afraid of heights but it's mostly when i'm up on top lookin down. I guess i'm kinda like a cat up a tree. It's fun goin up and lookin far out over the horizon but when it comes time to lean back onto nothing and belay down that really gets me. I just think of how much fun it is to be outdoors and in control of what I'm doing here and now. I've found the fear helps me out to forget the stresses of life, it gets me focused and clear of all the little nagging worries that we all have to deal with daily.

melsitek

Apr 16, 2002, 2:39 AM
Post #28 of 31 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was very afraid of the height my first time and after a few weeks I feel great and it does not even phase me now its rewarding@!!Do it

Climb ON

graniteboy

Apr 16, 2002, 2:40 AM
Post #29 of 31 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grobby: buddy;
I've been the guide on those classes. lots of them. And i've taught lots of people who had fear of heights. please take the indoor class first, so if you freeze up, you won't be causing safety issues for the other people.
good luck.
Graniteboy

roadtrip

Apr 16, 2002, 4:41 AM
Post #30 of 31 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fear turns into respect with experience. I wouldn't climb with anyone who isn't fearful or respectful of heights. As for classes, good idea, but remember that its only a foundation-in the long run every rule has thoughtful exceptions.

crackhabit

Apr 16, 2002, 9:59 PM
Post #31 of 31 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take the class but start small. when you think of a marathon as 28 miles it may seem overwhelming but if you think of a marathon as one step after another and that the only important thing is the next step you can finish it. same with climbing. start with bouldering low to the ground and work up. and always be with someone that you trust and that is patient.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook