RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

klimber_kevin

Apr 20, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #1 of 4 (781 views)
Shortcut

City of Rocks in August
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone give me some info on the City of Rocks? I am heading there with some newbies and would like to find a good area for some teaching (sport). Also, can campsites be reserved in advance? How is the weather in August?
Thanks

paintrain

Apr 21, 2004, 4:29 AM
Post #2 of 4 (781 views)
Shortcut

Re: City of Rocks in August [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weather = really hot. Chasing the shade will be in order.

3 guidebooks. Forecash, Calderone, and Bingham (new one being released). I won't discuss the merits of one versus the others.

Campsites can be reserved. http://www.nps.gov/ciro/ for contact information.

Areas to teach sport. Many, but there are also very popular moderate sport climbs that see quite a few crowds. Please don't camp on them all day with a group of ten. Be mindful and courteous.

It is a great place. The castle has recently opened and there are many climbing oportunities there as well. There is a restaraunt (the outpost) in almo now that sells beer - a big step.

Enjoy.

PT.

climbsomething

Apr 21, 2004, 5:50 AM
Post #3 of 4 (781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed there last August and found the weather to be pretty mild, even in the sun, but then, I am from Tucson.

Consider taking your beginning leaders to Castle Rock up the road. It's pretty friendly for the kind of crowd you say you'll have- 5.6, 5.7ish stuff with bolts at a reassuring distance for new leaders. Hostess Wall (or Gully, or something- the climbs have snacky cake names) is the area I have in mind. It's a nice area, and the nearby cows will serenade you. Last time I was there, the front office had a packet of climbs that you could photocopy or hand-copy, don't know if that's changed.

For fun, see how many roadkill jackrabbits you can count on the side of the road, and don't feel too bad if you add to the tally- it's kinda hard not to. I think they outnumber the people in the area ;) And look for the Marlboro Man riding through the plains- I swear, he's out there somewhere ;)

Enjoy!

tarzan420

Apr 21, 2004, 6:07 AM
Post #4 of 4 (781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

City's not bad in August, a little warm (of course, that's the only time i've ever climbed there...)

As far as 'sport' goes, I have to agree that Castle Rock may be better. My (albiet limited) experience shows that the 'sport' routes in City are mostly in the 5.9+ range and may have bolts pretty spread out, especially for noob leaders. If they're up for some moderate multipitch, Theater of Shadows at City or Big Time at castle rock are both excellent choices, with plenty of bolts.

What else to say ... not much that hasn't already been said.

EDIT: forgot to hit preview first....

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook