RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

gentry

Apr 20, 2004, 8:24 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Best place to Dirtbag? Summertime
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for the best place to spend a summer and not have to drive much or at all while spending very little on camping or anything for that matter.

So free camping and i can hop off the greyhound to get there or drive there and park my car and walk to the crags....

How is Squamish for dirtbaggin? SMith Rock? Any secrets on getting seasonal work close to canada or in the NW that still allows ample climbing days. . .

Lots of questions to answer but i am looking to find the best place in the Summer to not spend money and climb ALOT!

elemeno

Apr 20, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best place to Dirtbag? Summertime [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Bob Marshall wilderness complex in western MT. 1 million plus acres, and it adjoins glacier natl. park. Ample wilderness fire fighting jobs if your interested in getting to be a real dirtbag.

fiend

Apr 20, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Squamish is pretty easy to dirtbag in. Easy to hitch or bus around as well.

Sites at the Stawamus Chief campground are $9 CAD per night but you can split that among as many people as you can fit on a site (I've seen six tents onsome sites).

There are also some stealth camping options close to the Chief if you're looking for that as well. Try to be low profile though.

g-funk
Deleted

Apr 20, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Elemeno,

I grew up spending tons of time in the Bob, and only got into rockclimbing later in life after I moved from MT. Have you climbed inthe Bob? I've always wanted to go back and climb up to Hole In The Wall. Do you know if there's decent climbing there? Any info would be much appreciated.

elemeno

Apr 22, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey the climbing is great, the rock is so-so, unless you love choss heaps like I do.
Around the southern part (the scapegoat wilderness) there are plenty of limestone walls, not to mention many caves. There are also some excellent Alpine style peaks to bag. Check out the library for a guide book titled Climbing in Montana or something like that. There are also many excellent books published specifically about the bob. Bill Cunningham's guide to the Bob is the bible for hikers and climbers. The eastern edge of the bob- The Rocky Mountain Front is probabaly the most asethtically pleasing with 500 foot cliffs including the fabled Chinese wall (the Lewis Overthrust). All the Info is out there, Buy the Topo and get to the library It may not be what your looking for. But then again....

granitegod

Apr 22, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you thought about City of Rocks, Idaho?

Free camping in the Nat. Forrest, just up the road. You could mt. bike from camp, too far to hike daily, though. Drive the car down once a week for water (unless you can find a stream).

Employment? Hmm....do you like farm work? Might get a job running a hay baler..... maybe something in Burley.....of course, if you wanna dirtbag it, what's this nonsense about a job?

jakewolf

Apr 22, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yosemite is crowded but it is easy to dirtbag there. Keep all your gear in the car and don't pitch a tent. You can leave the enter and leave the park at night when there is no anyone at the fee station. Bus system is free, but if you have a bike it is even better to ride everywhere. Does get hot if you are not in the shade at for the middle of the day.

vegastradguy

Apr 22, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red Rocks. Sunny. Cheap Buffets.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook