Premier Sponsor:

cryder

Apr 20, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #1 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Ultimate Geek Roll Call - Mac or PC?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets here it internet junkies. You spend hour after hour here, in cyber space... the place Al Gore invented and where you can be internet you, which is likely not really like you. Its about time you spilled the beans on our your digital anotomy...

I'll start. Used to be a PC guy. Profession (ad industry) makes me use both MAC and PC. On the interface side, MAC OS9 never really rang my bell, but Win ME blew chunks. Win XP is well, nice, but in a fat girl at the prom sort of way (just happy to be there). But then came OSX... PC who? On the tech side, the whole MAC vs. PC thing was always sorta dueling banjos. But things, they have a changed. Oh yesssss. My PC preference death blow? The G5. Arrived today and paid for by my employer. I am in love. A geek to the core.

Dual 2GHz SuperDrive
1GHz per processor w/ 250 GB Hard Drive
AGP 8X Pro graphics bus

http://a772.g.akamai.net/...exfamily06232003.jpg

Partner philbox

Apr 20, 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #2 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ultimate Geek Roll Call - Mac or PC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Errr, well, I`ve never been known to be politically correct (PC) so I must be a MAC.

jumpingrock

Apr 20, 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #3 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude... dude...

You give the ultimate Geek Roll Call and you give us those choices???? PUUULLLLEEEEZZZZZZEEEEEE!!!

My god man, PC's blow chunks. Mac is only slightly better and only because they are not made by microsoft.

Unix based machines RULE THE WORLD! And if you don't believe me ask yourself why the slashes in the addresses are forslashes not back slashes! Wanna know why? Hmmm cause the world wide web runs on unix machines! PCs blow, Macs bite. Linux ROCKS!

Of course really it's all about what you are going to use it for.

mattdog

Apr 21, 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #4 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude... dude...

You give the ultimate Geek Roll Call and you give us those choices???? PUUULLLLEEEEZZZZZZEEEEEE!!!

My god man, PC's blow chunks. Mac is only slightly better and only because they are not made by microsoft.

Unix based machines RULE THE WORLD! And if you don't believe me ask yourself why the slashes in the addresses are forslashes not back slashes! Wanna know why? Hmmm cause the world wide web runs on unix machines! PCs blow, Macs bite. Linux ROCKS!

I just type www.rockclimbing.com without any slashes, and my web browser interprets it.

cryder

Apr 21, 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #5 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unix based machines RULE THE WORLD!

Ummmmm, last time I checked, Mac G5 architecture is Unix based. :oops:

Partner camhead

Apr 21, 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #6 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MAC4LYFE!!!!!!111

sixter

Apr 21, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #7 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Using a PC, but wishing I had the $$$ to get a dual processor G5, of course if I had $$$ I probably would be spending it on gear instead of a comp. :roll:

cryder

Apr 21, 2004, 1:15 AM
Post #8 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Using a PC, but wishing I had the $$$ to get a dual processor G5, of course if I had $$$ I probably would be spending it on gear instead of a comp. :roll:

Sixter, how am I supposed to use to create effective trolls if you cant stay on subject? THIS IS TROLL SITE WITH CLIMBING REFERRENCES, please keep that in mind, and proceed to flame PC or Mac users.

Thanks,

The counter-management.

ps - because Sixter mentioned climbing, can a mod please move this to the regular forums to play?

brianthew

Apr 21, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #9 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ummmmm, last time I checked, Mac G5 architecture is Unix based.

The G5 (and all mac chips) use the PPC architecture. MacOS, the operating system found on Macintoshes which use the PPC chips, however, can be said to be a UNIX-based OS (BSD, to be more specific). Chip architecture != operating system. Just cuz you're a "PC" (x86) user doesn't mean you're running Windows, just cuz you're running on a G5 doesn't mean you're running MacOS.

Perhaps you mean,

Which chip architecture do you use, x86 or PPC??

If so, I'm a x86 person. Got respect for that PPC, though.

In reply to:
paid for by my employer

Lucky bastard. 8^)

jono

Apr 21, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #10 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i hate macs, build your own computer.

jumpingrock

Apr 21, 2004, 1:55 AM
Post #11 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Ummmmm, last time I checked, Mac G5 architecture is Unix based.

The G5 (and all mac chips) use the PPC architecture. MacOS, the operating system found on Macintoshes which use the PPC chips, however, can be said to be a UNIX-based OS (BSD, to be more specific). Chip architecture != operating system. Just cuz you're a "PC" (x86) user doesn't mean you're running Windows, just cuz you're running on a G5 doesn't mean you're running MacOS.

Perhaps you mean,

Which chip architecture do you use, x86 or PPC??

If so, I'm a x86 person. Got respect for that PPC, though.

In reply to:
paid for by my employer

Lucky bastard. 8^)

Does AMD use the x86 architecture?

timstich

Apr 21, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #12 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I use a dual processor G4 at work running OSX. Want to know something? Running InDesign 2, it is no faster than my old G3 running Quark 4. In other words, big deal. And my font handler (Font Reserve) phucks everthing up good once a month without fail. Ditch the font database and reload. Wash-rinse-repeat. So don't sweat not getting the newest hoo ha. It aint nirvana.

brianthew

Apr 21, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #13 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does AMD use the x86 architecture?

Yes. x86 is a standard made by Intel, but complied with by AMD and others.

If it runs Windows (natively), it's x86.

jumpingrock

Apr 21, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #14 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes.

So what is the differance b/t AMD and Intel?

I have heard that though AMD runs at a slower clock rate but they run at the approximatly the same speed. Which implies that the AMD chip has a lower CPI. (cycles per instruction)

Hmmmm I should study my system architecture more. Actually probably not. just need to read up on AMD and Intel chips.

brianthew

Apr 21, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #15 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Similar product, just done a bit differently. One could write volumes on the differences.

Your observation on clock speeds is pretty accurate, Intel likes the higher clock rates because it's better marketing (ooo! The Intel is 1.7ghz....but the AMD is only 1.6!). Kinda like two cars, one that revs high but low torque and other that revs low but with high toque. They might be different under the hood, but perform pretty much the same.

I think my machine architecture and design class textbook had a detailed comparison between the two brands.

That book got sold.

jumpingrock

Apr 21, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #16 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Similar product, just done a bit differently. One could write volumes on the differences.

Your observation on clock speeds is pretty accurate, Intel likes the higher clock rates because it's better marketing (ooo! The Intel is 1.7ghz....but the AMD is only 1.6!). Kinda like two cars, one that revs high but low torque and other that revs low but with high toque. They might be different under the hood, but perform pretty much the same.

I think my machine architecture and design class textbook had a detailed comparison between the two brands.

That book got sold.

Mine might... hmmm I should look at that. Probably not. It covers the RISC86 architecture because it is more simple that intel's x86 architecture. Though the base architecture is the same. I actually really enjoyed my system architecture class. I enjoy most of my classes except for mathematical ones... like computer graphics. Which I have an exam in tomorrow... and it is going to suck... man... this sucks... I should go study...

nealric

Apr 21, 2004, 2:24 AM
Post #17 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
AGP 8X Pro graphics bus

you do know that no graphics card that has or ever will be made will utilize agp 8x? Running todays fastest card (radeon9800proxt) on agp 4x is no slower...
All next gen cards will be pci express
sorry to burst you bubble

I am a hardcore pc user for one importaint reason:
you cant build your own high performance mac.

I DO NOT trust any computer that I did not build and personally select the parts for. Computer manufacturers are looking at their bottom line and throw in any garbage they got a good deal on. I am looking for quality in my parts.
While it is theoretically possible to build your own mac, you would either be building a low performace machine from ebay parts, or a high performace machine at 2x the cost from repar parts from mac- which would be identical to the store bought machine.

Also, you cannot easily overclock macs. When I build a pc, I choose the lowest speed processor of a chip design (It is a dirty little secret of the computer industry that often their 2.6ghz midrange chip is physically IDENTICAL to their 3.4ghz whizbang chip that costs as much as 10x as much). So, instead of buying that 3.4 chip for $800, I buy the 2.5 for $150 and run it at 3.5ghz and laugh). Chipspeed is just a setting that you can change in computers you build yourself, but manufactuers generally lock down this feature.

No, overclocked computers are not unstable nor do they overheat as long as the necessary precautions are taken. For one, you need to get rid of the dinky fan that comes with processors. Either a big a$$ copper job, or better yet water cool it or refrigerate it.

One wonderful thing about pcs is the myriad of operating systems written for em. Dont like windows xp? Try one of the linux variants- there are literally hundreds. While mac does have a few linux variants available- the x86 versions are far more numerous and well supported.

IMO macs are for those who just want to serf the internet and never open their computers case. While I dont condemn people like this, I resent it when they get opinionated about computers when they have little to no knowlege about what they are arguing.

Hows that for g33k?
(Gotta find something to do after getting back from the crag :D )
|\|3/\|41c p\/\/|\|z j00!

(mad props to those who understand the obove and climb- there are very few of us 8^) )

brianthew

Apr 21, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #18 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4ll j00 b452 4r3 83l0/\/9 2 8r14/\/t3h\/\/

jumpingrock

Apr 21, 2004, 2:37 AM
Post #19 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
AGP 8X Pro graphics bus

you do know that no graphics card that has or ever will be made will utilize agp 8x? Running todays fastest card (radeon9800proxt) on agp 4x is no slower...
All next gen cards will be pci express
sorry to burst you bubble

Agreed, my frikken video card (Radeon 9600XT) couldn't even handle agp 8x. So I disabled it and poof there was not degredation in quality but an increase in stability

In reply to:

Also, you cannot easily overclock macs. When I build a pc, I choose the lowest speed processor of a chip design (It is a dirty little secret of the computer industry that often their 2.6ghz midrange chip is physically IDENTICAL to their 3.4ghz whizbang chip that costs as much as 10x as much). So, instead of buying that 3.4 chip for $800, I buy the 2.5 for $150 and run it at 3.5ghz and laugh). Chipspeed is just a setting that you can change in computers you build yourself, but manufactuers generally lock down this feature.

No, overclocked computers are not unstable nor do they overheat as long as the necessary precautions are taken. For one, you need to get rid of the dinky fan that comes with processors. Either a big a$$ copper job, or better yet water cool it or refrigerate it.

You're absolutly right. However, the way they decide how expensive to sell the chips is based on testing. Therefore, the piece that is clocked @ 2.5 GHz has been tested and therefore will be less stable @ 3.5 GHz. In addition those cooling mechanisms are expensive and potentially not worth it. While the chips that you have experiance with might not be crashing on you some chips may be less stable than others. But this is personal opinion as opposed to hard researched fact so you might be absolutly right. And worst case scenario modern motherboards have an automatic shutdown in case of processor overheating.

In reply to:
One wonderful thing about pcs is the myriad of operating systems written for em. Dont like windows xp? Try one of the linux variants- there are literally hundreds. While mac does have a few linux variants available- the x86 versions are far more numerous and well supported.

A friend of mine is running a version of redhat on his i-mac. He has to compile all his software for his chip. I say mad props to him and to anybody else who does that.

In reply to:
(mad props to those who understand the obove and climb- there are very few of us 8^) )

Props to you to my friend.

David

nealric

Apr 21, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #20 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're absolutly right. However, the way they decide how expensive to sell the chips is based on testing. Therefore, the piece that is clocked @ 2.5 GHz has been tested and therefore will be less stable @ 3.5 GHz. In addition those cooling mechanisms are expensive and potentially not worth it. While the chips that you have experiance with might not be crashing on you some chips may be less stable than others. But this is personal opinion as opposed to hard researched fact so you might be absolutly right. And worst case scenario modern motherboards have an automatic shutdown in case of processor overheating.

I have actually tried all the cooling methods I described above. Watercooled for a while, then graduated to a waterchiller made out of a fridge, then a laboratory water bath, and then made a homeade refrigeration system with a friend.

They are worth it to geeks 8^)

As far as which chips are stable and which are not- the key is the stepping code on the chip. You need to know what manufacturing revision the chip is and what week it was made (all printed on the chip). Many parts stores will let you pick one out. If you get one with a known good code you have a 99.9% of getting a good overclocker. By talking to other people, you pretty much know for sure how much to expect out of the chip.

sixter

Apr 21, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #21 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Sixter, how am I supposed to use to create effective trolls if you cant stay on subject? THIS IS TROLL SITE WITH CLIMBING REFERRENCES, please keep that in mind, and proceed to flame PC or Mac users.

Thanks,

The counter-management.

ps - because Sixter mentioned climbing, can a mod please move this to the regular forums to play?

How do you know I was talking about climbing gear? I could be talking about gear for my '69 Camaro, which is begging for a v-8 and a t-56 tranny. Or maybe I was talking about gear for my Mini (notice not all caps, therefore it is a real Mini, not the abonination that is built under the watchful eye of BMW). Or maybe I would buy some welding gear, I could use a TIG welder, and a MIG welder so I can do some at home projects, like building my own tube chassis car. Gear is such a broad term, that I may or may not have been refrencing climbing gear.

All I know is that my 1Ghz AMD Athlon sucks eggs when trying to do any sort of PShop, or video editing work. It takes so long for it to process some video editing commands, I could go to the kitchen, make a sandwich, eat it, watch the lastest episode of Dr. Phil, and come back, and it is still working on processing the task I am working on. Ok, maybe that is a slight exageration, but I sure could use a some more memory and processing power.

As a side note, I am sick and tired of wanna be power users that spout off about Unix, or Linux (properly pronounced with a long "i" Li-nux, not Lin-ux as is popular these days). If you aren't writing code for it, please don't bother me about it. My internet surfing days started on a unix machine. Yes, I understand the advantages, but I have yet to see something comparable to PShop or Adobe Premire for Linux. Maybe if there is something out there, somebody could school me about it.

josephine

Apr 21, 2004, 6:29 AM
Post #22 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude... dude...

You just hurted my pc's feelings :(

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook