First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

vertical-rockrat
Deleted

Feb 28, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #51 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Re: Photo Bombing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Disagree with the credability thing. As you might have one hidden photo expert as in a professional making completly honest posts. How bout if no reason for vote then no vote that sounds cool. Radio buttons thus making the radio buttons a + or - to original given score. To help strenghten their score or degrade it accordingly. Hard to explain my idea but say i go 5 with a good action, well good action translates to a +1 making my vote a hidden 6 for tally reason when the system average. Thus we can vote them low but if we give a positive comment even tho its not a outstanding photo it can help to counter balance our own votes. like i vote 8 but make poor lighting then it gets a -1 so its a 7 when calculated... I dont know just a few ideas, but i like the make them comment to vote and make it raido buttons but also allow of a normal additional post area to add to that one reason for the vote i gave it.

ambler

Feb 28, 2004, 4:02 AM
Post #52 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Wott a kludge!
When the issue first came up, I suggested just using the median, but someone (I thought, you, actually) shot down the idea. At that time, I looked at several trimmed means, but none of them seemed well-suited for our purposes although I don't recall now exactly why I thought that, but off the top of my head, they give 0 weight to some of the data, and they wouldn't work well for small samples. I like the idea of using the z-score as a measure of how unusual a vote is, because, well, that's what it is.
But surely you see the paradox of using z scores for outlier detection....

jt512

Mar 1, 2004, 5:51 PM
Post #53 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Wott a kludge!
When the issue first came up, I suggested just using the median, but someone (I thought, you, actually) shot down the idea. At that time, I looked at several trimmed means, but none of them seemed well-suited for our purposes although I don't recall now exactly why I thought that, but off the top of my head, they give 0 weight to some of the data, and they wouldn't work well for small samples. I like the idea of using the z-score as a measure of how unusual a vote is, because, well, that's what it is.
But surely you see the paradox of using z scores for outlier detection....

I think it's a paradox we can live with.

-Jay

cagdbikeclimb

May 3, 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #54 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of my photos were bombed last night. They were all previously rated 6 to 7.5. In no case were they given an initial 9 or 10 so that they would appear on the front page. I find some of the images interesting and I think other people might too. They are obviously not professional quality but I don't think the photos are bad enough to deserve a 1 vote. Why do people do this? I'm mostly a lurker on this site and I haven't intentionally (and probably not even unintentionally) offended anyone. I'm not striving to get my pictures on the front page (not that I would mind if that happened) but it would be nice to get some honest opinions and constructive criticism. So what's the deal?

sandbag

May 3, 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #55 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bombs away!

you can also remove your ego, and just select to not allow your photos to be judged, and also leave no room for comment if you so desire.

(PS: I dont phot bomb, but it sure sounded funny...) :lol:

Partner cliffhanger9

May 3, 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #56 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All of my photos were bombed last night. They were all previously rated 6 to 7.5. In no case were they given an initial 9 or 10 so that they would appear on the front page. I find some of the images interesting and I think other people might too. They are obviously not professional quality but I don't think the photos are bad enough to deserve a 1 vote. Why do people do this? I'm mostly a lurker on this site and I haven't intentionally (and probably not even unintentionally) offended anyone. I'm not striving to get my pictures on the front page (not that I would mind if that happened) but it would be nice to get some honest opinions and constructive criticism. So what's the deal?

yea i saw this too.. alot of the photos that were recently submitted in hte past couple days seem like they all have 1s on them - i thought when they got approved they were left at 0.00

and yes i know you can uncheck the vote box...jsut figured people would be more mature then that. guess not. :roll:

sandbag

May 3, 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #57 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

and yes i know you can uncheck the vote box...jsut figured people would be more mature then that. guess not. :roll:

Dont feel bad, I didnt do it. Im just pointing out the obvious solution to avoid getting blown out of the water.

....never underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people...........

graysondamondamian

May 3, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #58 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mine got major bombed the day after i started this thread...figures :roll:

zrockclimber

May 3, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #59 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep a record of the User name/IP address of those that vote. If there is malicious voting then you will be able to identify those individuals and give them notices of internet ethics. All member's IP addresses are easy to get even if they come in anonymously. Hope this helps.

bsignorelli

May 3, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #60 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
give them notices of internet ethics.

Whoo hoo...

I think I found my new favorite oxymoron. :)

Bryan

scubasnyder

May 3, 2004, 2:05 AM
Post #61 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

people will always do this

Partner cliffhanger9

May 3, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #62 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Dont feel bad, I didnt do it. Im just pointing out the obvious solution to avoid getting blown out of the water.

....never underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people...........

yea i know i hear ya - not pointing fingers, just wish some people would grow up but yea...hahahaha never underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people...hahahah

rock on!! :mrgreen:

bsignorelli

May 3, 2004, 2:12 AM
Post #63 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thanks for "rate bombing" some of my photos. yall know who you are. reeeal cool. :roll:

Did the squeaky wheel get some unwanted grease? :)

What do you want...

It looks like a bunch of your photo's got 6's and above. Sounds fair to me.

Do you think blurry photos like this

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=21997

or this

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=30407

should be 9's?

Or perhaps the non-blurry photo like this

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=29009

should be rated an 8 even though you can't tell what he's holding on to or what he's reaching for.

Not all babies are beautiful...no matter what their Mom says. :P

Bryan

PS - But you can what looks to be a bunch of litter on the ground in that last picture...if it is...didja pick up that trash before you left? :)

graysondamondamian

May 3, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #64 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i didnt say all of my photos were great i just said that some were rated alot lower than they should.

and i dont know what that stuff in the background is. i can promise you, i hate people that dont follow LNT...

the_alpine

May 3, 2004, 2:41 AM
Post #65 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont sweat the petty stuff brother.................................

Pet the sweaty stuff!

Partner drrock

May 3, 2004, 11:15 AM
Post #66 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit

duracellbunny

May 3, 2004, 11:50 AM
Post #67 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All this happens because the user name does not appear every time he/she votes.
I have experienced the same and really sucks.....

theboss

May 3, 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #68 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All this happens because the user name does not appear every time he/she votes.
I have experienced the same and really sucks.....

I would not have any problem with my username appearing next to my 2-voting because I only rate that low on pics that really should not appear on the frontpage. this weekend I was annoyed by a beer-drinking-dancing climber (?) in front of a fire-lit boulder.

True, it is climbing related, but there should be a fun category for that kind of pics.

btw, I didn't see any of your pics on the frontpage yet, though I like the dyno pic ;-)

reno

May 3, 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #69 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i didnt say all of my photos were great i just said that some were rated alot lower than they should.

Lower than they should? According to whom? You? Can you HONESTLY say you are not biased toward your own photographs? What do you think they should have been rated? Why? Can you point to the artistic value your photos? Do they have technical value (i.e. f-Stop, DOF, shutter speed, etc.) not seen in other photos?

If your photos (and admittedly, I've not -- yet -- looked at them,) are "typical" climbing shots... butt shots, "Here's my pals at the crag," etc., then you'll need to come up with a reason they should be rated higher.

Make your case, and the masses will generally listen. Don't and they won't.

Finally, remember how insignificant this issue is in the greater scheme of things. I'd suspect you'll manage to get along with your life, even if your photos don't get voted high.

graysondamondamian

May 3, 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #70 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wasnt the one who made this post 5 pages long.

and i dont really care, i am so fucking sick of this site anyway

vertical_planar

May 3, 2004, 2:35 PM
Post #71 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you are right to be dissapointed but should not worry much about such plasmatic critisism. Till the day that users votes will stop to be anonymous, forget hatred voting and seek constructive critisism through comments and forums.

On the otehr hand-remember that we are all biased towards our work as we relate with situations that might not be visible by our shots (there's the challenge)

boulderfanatic

May 3, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #72 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there a possibility that there is an error with RC.coms rating system? I believe I voted a 6 or 7 on a photo that had one vote, that person voted a 1 and it definitely did not seem deserved. When I checked that photo it says the score is 1 with two votes....! Unless I accidentally clicked 1, I don't understand how that could be possible.

Why are we not able to change our votes after they are submitted? Photos and comments can be updated, but no vote? I have no way to even check what I voted. I know the system knows who voted on the photos because we are not allowed to vote twice.

cliffmonkey2003

May 6, 2004, 5:52 AM
Post #73 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone gave all of mine a 1 today. I know that they're not great, and I understand that some people think that by giving a real low rating, they will make up for what they see as others' mistakes. However, I think that people that do that are either really pissed off at the photographer or know something about photography. Constructive criticism if you're going to bomb someone's vote to a below average rating is not too much to ask, IMO.

With all that said....

The user (whose name shall remain anonymous for reasons related to the element of surprise) that bombed my photos, I know who you are, and I'm coming to find you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

climbsomething

May 6, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #74 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've gotten pretty excited about this subject in the past, being the sensitive arteest that I am.

But then I got all zen-like (or whatever.) I almost never allow voting on my pics now, if I even submit them. And when I DO submit pics, I tend to keep it to snapshots for my friends. I reserve my good stuff for my personal web site, which anybody can see- and no they cannot vote.

Partner coldclimb

May 6, 2004, 6:19 AM
Post #75 of 78 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've gotten pretty excited about this subject in the past, being the sensitive arteest that I am.

But then I got all zen-like (or whatever.) I almost never allow voting on my pics now, if I even submit them. And when I DO submit pics, I tend to keep it to snapshots for my friends. I reserve my good stuff for my personal web site, which anybody can see- and no they cannot vote.

Good call. I've gotten pretty mad about my pics being rated down before too, but I've actually kinda gotten used to it over time and it bugs me less now. I really just like being able to store my pics here as it gives a nice archive of them with comments and all, and frees up space on my own site. ;)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook