RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

goodwholesomeboy

May 9, 2004, 4:48 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

best webbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what is the best kinda webbing that won't stretch out? cuz i like my line to have a good bit of slack but after about 10 minutes i'm walking on the ground.

caughtinside

May 9, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Re: best webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You sure that's your webbing stretching or is your system slipping? I've had webbing stretch, but not that much.

Put your line higher?

mustclimb69

May 9, 2004, 1:55 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is probabally the knots in the system or the entire system slipping. webbing shouldnt give that much.
If it does go buy better webbing.
BlueWater Climb-Spec is pretty sweet

moeman

May 9, 2004, 2:37 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually just over-tighten my line and then after a couple minutes of walking it feels just right.

moeman

May 9, 2004, 2:38 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually just over-tighten my line and then after a couple minutes of walking it feels just right.

Partner slacklinejoe

May 9, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most all of the nylon tubular webbing I've used "released" tension slowly after being set up within the first few minutes. I've used at least 6-8 manufacturers and they all did it so I'd say it's pretty normal. The nice thing is that it doesn't shrink back up quickly either so re-tensioning it isn't a major problem. I've also played a lot with poly-pro and thick but flat weave nylon and they didn't display the same characteristic - then again they are only 1/4 as strong.

Like Moeman mentioned, you can set your line a little tighter than you want and within 5 minutes of playing it'll be releaxed more. Also, one other possibility is that your anchors are slipping downwards, which exaggerates the effect.

goodwholesomeboy

May 10, 2004, 1:40 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think i just need to over tighten it and let it stretch out next time

md3

May 12, 2004, 8:13 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best webbing is light steel cable. I don't know why more people don't use it. You can adjust the tension easily with a length of chain on the end. I have been usisng the same strand, which coils up nicely into a bag, for about 4 years now. You have to wear shoes, but the dynamic is exactly the same.

theturtle

May 13, 2004, 1:30 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although steel cable is fun to walk, the "dynamic" properties are completely different from webbing. Webbing is bouncy and quick while cable is much heavier. Interesting tip though. :?

md3

May 13, 2004, 8:42 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The dynamic I am concerned about is balance, and my use of the cable every other day at lunch does seem to work well enough to allow me to move very easily on the webbing that others set up when I get on their systems. (I'm not a great climber but I can generally do more laps with turns in both directions on other people's webbing set ups than they can.) The cable doesn't weigh all that much - I carry it around in a canvas tote bag. Once you put your full weight on webbing it stretches out and the dynamic you are working with is the sway and your body movement, not bounce.

Partner slacklinejoe

May 13, 2004, 9:45 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the dynamic you are working with is the sway and your body movement, not bounce.

I'd have to disagree with that - or at least add an excemption.

I've walked a line fairly similar to what you describe and yes, it's similar if your just out strictly to "walk point a to point b" but part of the slackline bit is that you can cause the line to do what you want it to, which often involves stretch and not just swing. I bounce a lot, I jump a lot and get surfing moves with enough momentum that you get a "spring" back feel to it, you wouldn't necessarily get that on a cable.

That comes down to the difference between tight/loose-rope walking and slackline walking. It's all about that bounce/stretchy feedback that makes it feel like your on a 1" wide trampoline. On a loose line, you don't notice how much bounce you are really getting, but set a tighter line using webbing and you'll see what I'm getting at - its rigged like a springboard.

md3

May 14, 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK - I'll try bouncing around on some tight webbing. I don't think I've seen anyone doing moves that incorporate that type of movement. Can you provide some more detail about what your doing? I just know the classic rope walking bit which involves going back and forth, turns, facing the audience and/or standing still etc., with arms locked behind the back - at various degrees of slackness.
You know its wierd finding myself becoming a little defensive over this particular activity which I really only do because its relaxing and centering. I mean- who cares? I am genuinely curious about what you mean by "surfing". I can get a lot of sway going on a loose line, or generate a lot of surfing type body movement when standing feet perpendicular to the line in a fixed position, but the challenge I have been working on is to stay that way without moving the feet. What are the objectives you are shooting for? When you refer to jumping are you getting both feet off the line simultaneously? Do you have an opinion about the minimum or maximum lengths of the line (webbing) necessary? It seems that with cable, varying both the length as well as the amount of slackness effects the way I have to move.

Partner slacklinejoe

May 14, 2004, 1:20 AM
Post #13 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You know its wierd finding myself becoming a little defensive over this particular activity which I really only do because its relaxing and centering.

Don't worry about it, one of my friends was a hard core "wire-walker" until I got him into slacking. Thats were I get my cross comparisons from. Its a meditative thing that tends to be very personal to us; thats why a lot of slackers are VERY picky about their setups (no-metal, thin webbing or such and such tightness or height).

By surfing, I use that term as basically swaying from side to side (sometimes very large archs where your almost completely sideways) - which you can do on wire and may be used to. However when you do that on webbing with a fast/hard movement it flexes and gives you a "whip" back at the pivot point. It's not that noticable on a really loose line but it's there. I hope that makes sense - it's kinda hard to define.

As far as bounces and jump mounts:
http://www.slacklineexpress.com/movies.htm
See the big file on the end for lots of bouncing and ignore the rather hard rock sound track - my encoder was crashing unless I slapped a sound track on it.

Sorry, I don't have any video feed of me busting air (jumping from the line, hit air then land back on the line) on a slackline on my site yet. I've got plenty of video me doing jumps as soon as I track down the guy who has my film (long story).

goodwholesomeboy

May 17, 2004, 6:01 AM
Post #14 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll try and get some steel cable, i'll see how that goes

climbfrog

May 17, 2004, 8:12 AM
Post #15 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What are you using for you tightening system? Depending on what you are using, the keep it tight, it may slip. Most ascenders, or gri-gris, or any mechanical block are designed to slipp at around 4 kn using an 11mm rope. Most all webbing is static and has very little stretch. The movement would have to be in the knots, which should be neatly dressed to avoid the slipping, or in the mechanical block your using.

goodwholesomeboy

May 18, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

right now i am just using some come-alongs(rachets), so i don't know if a wire will work.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook