RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

climbr_apprntx

May 11, 2004, 5:08 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Climbing terms in english
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would like to know what type of climbing represent the terms "free climbing", "soloing" and what does it means "offwidth".

thanks

dynoguy

May 11, 2004, 5:31 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing terms in english [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

free climbing= using nothing besides the rock for upward progression
soloing= climbing alone
offwidth= cracks too largre for hand or fist jams but still too small the climb "chimney" style

tradbum

May 11, 2004, 5:33 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the Board!

"Free Climbing" means to climb a route without aid (climbing under your own power without resorting to artificial means to advance your progress), using ropes and gear, whether it be passive, active protection or natural (Traditional climbing), or on a Sport climbing route, where you clip into bolts. It means that you don't hold on to a piece of protection while you're clipping it or advance using that piece.

"French Free" means it's OK to hold a piece/draw for purchase while you're clipping. It's also OK to yard up on a piece and advance it as you climb. French Free is generally accepted in an Alpine/Mountaineering setting, where speed is a key, but not "rock climbing".

"Solo" means to do it yourself with the use of protection and ropes. Usually fixing a pitch and then downcleaning.

"Free Solo" means no ropes or gear. (A caveat on that one: don't have a family if you want to pursue this avenue of climbing, or have a good insurance policy).

"Offwidth" is a crack climb that's too big for hands and feet, but too small for your entire body to fit in. It often takes a lot of arm barring, scumming and other (often ugly) techniques. Some folks love offwidths, most, after their first vow never to do another again.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

climbr_apprntx

May 11, 2004, 6:09 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, got it. :)

Thank you very much

tilt

May 13, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Freeclimbing: opposite of aid climbing, using only natural rock features. Rope is only used for saftey, not resting.
Offwidth: cracks that are too large for conventional hand/fist jamming, but too small for bridging, like on a chimmney.

musicman

May 16, 2004, 9:57 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i posted just about the same post a week or two ago, i got some great feedback so you might wanna check it out, i didn't ask about off width and i wish i had, but now i know

ps. check the "term dictionary" there are hundreds of terms listed there, they helped me a bung to

Partner cliffhanger9

May 16, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i posted just about the same post a week or two ago, i got some great feedback so you might wanna check it out, i didn't ask about off width and i wish i had, but now i know

ps. check the "term dictionary" there are hundreds of terms listed there, they helped me a bung to

i think the mentioned dictionary is this one

defienitly a great starting point rsource for any of the terms that you may not be familiar with

rock on!! :mrgreen:

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook